Lidocaine IV Infusion for pain.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NDcienporciento100

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that was given a lidocaine infusion for ongoing back pain he has had for years By a PM&R Doctor. Is there any clinical trials looking at this showing benefit? Because it sounds about as smart as Trumps cure Covid with hand sanitizer idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Injecting meds IV that are part of the ACLS algorithm cause me a little anxiety.

Reactions: 1 user
IV Lidocaine has been used for years. I got exposed to it during fellowship training. I was a little nervous covering the infusion center but most patients really tolerated it well.

Lidocaine Infusion: A Promising Therapeutic Approach for Chronic Pain

Intravenous lidocaine in central pain: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, psychophysical study

Intravenous lidocaine relieves spinal cord injury pain: a randomized controlled trial

Effect of intravenous lidocaine on the neuropathic pain of failed back surgery syndrome

Members don't see this ad :)
There is 18 patients in that study. Hmmmmmm I’m not sure about this... Just saying!!

It is good to be skeptical. I didn't do a thorough research on what other evidence is out there. I am sure you can do that. Just to be clear I am not a fan and I do not recommend it to my patients unless everything else has failed. My point was to show you that has been studied and some academic hospitals offer it.

There is 18 patients in that study. Hmmmmmm I’m not sure about this... Just saying!!

Some of the better pain studies I’ve seen in years!!! Lol. Just kidding...well not really

Anesthesiology resident here:

This is very commonly done in the OR as a multimodal analgesia regimen. It is also commonly managed by Acute pain services (Anesthesia subspecialty) for inpatient chronic opioid users.

While it has been beneficial, there is a lot of misuse out there similar to "ketamine clinics". I personally know of a new EM grad that opened up an infusion clinic (ketamine, lidocaine, banana bag) who didn't know what intralipid was....

That is wildly negligent!!!! Its like opening up trauma center with no access to blood.

The clinic was basically run be RN that placed the IV and NP that gave the infusion.

So if you're gonna do it, should be done properly.

Anesthesiology resident here:

This is very commonly done in the OR as a multimodal analgesia regimen. It is also commonly managed by Acute pain services (Anesthesia subspecialty) for inpatient chronic opioid users.

While it has been beneficial, there is a lot of misuse out there similar to "ketamine clinics". I personally know of a new EM grad that opened up an infusion clinic (ketamine, lidocaine, banana bag) who didn't know what intralipid was....

That is wildly negligent!!!! Its like opening up trauma center with no access to blood.

The clinic was basically run be RN that placed the IV and NP that gave the infusion.

So if you're gonna do it, should be done properly.

What kind of monitoring do you typically have in place?

What kind of monitoring do you typically have in place?

My personal experience has only been in-patient setting. If I were to come up with a system for outpatient infusion clinic type setting, I would do the following:

- Pre-infusion: EKG
- During infusion: continuous 3 lead telemetry, pulse ox, and BP monitoring
- Post-infusion: monitoring for min 30mins with post-infusion EKG
- You would need all the necessary items for complications: 1) Cardiac complications - Intralipid, ACLS skills/equipment; 2) CNS complications - Intralipid, IV benzodiazepines for seizures, skills to provide airway support (Dont need intubation just BMV should be adequate)
- RN monitoring

Just things off the top of my head.

If you charged like $300+ cash per infusion (usually last 1hr), you could make money. These infusions tend to be in batches of 3 one week apart. You could charge $900 for 1 full round of treatment. It only works out financially/liability wise if you have enough patients for all the equipment/personnel cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users