LICENSURE PROCESS **HELP**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bublue933

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone would see this and can help me explain to me the process of obtaining a license in the US as a foreign dental grad that would be so awesome! I know that it differs by state so if anyone is familiar with California that would be even better but willing to take anything thats kinda dumbed down for me at this point. I am asking for both my parents...they are both foreign grads and haven't practiced in a hot minute but are starting to think about getting back to working towards obtaining their licenses. Call it mid-life crisis or something like that lol. But anyways...from my understanding they have to take the INBDE and then go back to school to do an international program for 2 years then take the WREB. Is this correct? Also, would they have to go back to school full time? Any advice or comment would help tremendously! Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yes an international qualifying program for two years and then specific examinations for each state. WREB would be one of them which I believe would cover you for California. Not sure how the states/schools would evaluate your parents based on the fact that they haven't practiced for many years. FYI tuition costs in the US are very high.

Yes an international qualifying program for two years and then specific examinations for each state. WREB would be one of them which I believe would cover you for California. Not sure how the states/schools would evaluate your parents based on the fact that they haven't practiced for many years. FYI tuition costs in the US are very high.
Thank you for replying!! Ok so please correct me if im wrong...they would need to pass the inbde in order to apply to one of those international programs. This exam replaces the nbde part 1 and 2?? Its also pass/fail?? Then apply to a qualifying program and take the WREB exam or another exam also recognized by cali? They have already had their transcripts evaluated but that was years ago. Would they need to do this again? Does the nbde (yes the old one) test score have an expiration? Im just asking bc i know that they’ve already taken those and received good scores but again its been a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for replying!! Ok so please correct me if im wrong...they would need to pass the inbde in order to apply to one of those international programs. This exam replaces the nbde part 1 and 2?? Its also pass/fail?? Then apply to a qualifying program and take the WREB exam or another exam also recognized by cali? They have already had their transcripts evaluated but that was years ago. Would they need to do this again? Does the nbde (yes the old one) test score have an expiration? Im just asking bc i know that they’ve already taken those and received good scores but again its been a while.
Yes this new exam replaces the two parts of the NBDE. It is pass/fail as well. You would take WREB close to your graduation. California also allows you to obtain licensure by residency as well. Best thing to do is to call the admissions office to get more information or refer to their website(s).

Reactions: 1 user
Not so easy and not so fast
Exams are a minor issue. First reevaluate the cost/age ratio. How long and even how your parents are going to pay for it. Even if they plan to use their savings to pay for tuition, they should think if they will have enough time and health to repay the loan and acquire and afford disability insurance. They also need to think about retirement savings. Will it be a better solution for only one of them to pursue dentistry and another will go cheaper and faster route of dental hygiene?
Paying off 600K-800K in student loans is possible for young and healthy, not for midlife crisis aged individuals
Don't forget about TOEFL. Some schools require higher score in some of the parts. They also need arrangements for people who wrote their reference letters to upload them online. They should contact their schools to be in contact with the dean
Schools don't mind accepting oldies, but some schools prefer young and particular nationality. Do your research
Also ask your parents if they mind relocating. If they go to Texas, they might get better pay and lower cost of education. California is a killer in that matter. Starting salary is not high at all

Reactions: 1 user