Licensure in Family Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DANBY

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering about the possibility of applying for licensure after doing GME in another country other than the US and Canada? Has anyone been in this situation before? Is it even possible? How does it work?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You might want to check this thread...

I remember there was a thread in which someone posted a detailed review how he was able to get medical license in Maine w/o residency. I remember that he said that ONLY applies for people who graduated from Ireland, Australia or England. It seems like the state of Oklahoma might have a similar provision for foreign physicians who graduated from the British system.

I just cant find that thread

Reactions: 1 user
It's possible if you are boarded as a GP in Australia, New Zealand, UK, and FP in Canada.
From there you are eligible to sit for the ABFM boards.

Outside of that, you have to do a FM residency in the US.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! What about other countries like South Africa, Switzerland, Singapore, Malaysia?

Thanks guys! What about other countries like South Africa, Switzerland, Singapore, Malaysia?
No. They don’t have a reciprocity agreement.

5. I was Trained Outside the United States and Not in One of the Countries that has a Reciprocity Agreement with ABFM. How Can I Gain Certification?

If your training and certification was in a country that does not hold a reciprocity agreement with the ABFM, you must complete the same requirements that United States trained residents complete for initial certification eligibility. This includes completion of a 36-month, ACGME-accredited family medicine residency training program and meeting the requirements of the Resident Certification Entry Process.

Your best bet is to take the steps and try to get into FM residency...

Reactions: 1 user