Other OT-Related Information License & expunged misdemeanor case

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

One-way

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to apply to become a occupational therapy assistant. But I am worried about the background check the state does when I apply for a license.
Some background about me:
I was a honors student (took engineering, computers, health, related courses) who graduated high school at age 16 and started college right away and my GPA has always been above a 3.6.

The problem:
I was don't know why I did it but I knew it was wrong, I was caught shoplifting and was misdemeanor case. I hired a lawyer and I attended Cognitive Behavior Intervention Program and paid the fees that the store asked me to pay. My case was dismissed and expunged.

I deeply regret it and I know what I did was wrong and I was depressed about it for a whole year and I couldn't get over the regret.

Will the expunged and dismissed case prevent me from getting a license? Is it better for me to admit it when asked about it? And how should I explain it to them?

Members don't see this ad.

I know felonies can pose a problem, but a misdemeanor shouldn't impact your ability to get licensed at all, especially if it was expunged! I don't think you have anything to worry about. I doubt you will be asked about it, but if you are I'd just be honest. I think everyone will understand, especially if you explain how you've grown since then.