Liberal Arts Major: will it hinder you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podarski

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I choose a liberal arts major will it hurt my application because it's not viewed as a very hard major. I am interested in liberal arts because it allows me to take the classes I want,logic,philosophy,buisness, etc... with out dragging out my education forever. But I don't want to do it if it will hurt my chances to get into dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

wow..it's a major?

i am not in yet. but i don't htink a liberal arts major will hurt you, but i would recommend you take some higher level science classes to see what dental school is going to be like and at least have some background info in your courses in dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
If I could do it all again I would've been a dark ages/early medieval history major. If such a thing exists. That would be really, really cool. Charlemagne is the man!!!

dyarhea said:
wow..it's a major?

Yes it's a major, I also plan on minoring in spanish and Buisness administrations. As far as the biology classes go I plan on taking phisiology, anatomy and micro biology in addition to the pre reqs do you think this will be sufficient.

rocknightmare said:
i am not in yet. but i don't htink a liberal arts major will hurt you, but i would recommend you take some higher level science classes to see what dental school is going to be like and at least have some background info in your courses in dental school

That's pretty good advice - take some higher level courses to show them whose boss. What schools are you specifically thinking about though? That might help people answer your question I think.

I'm not to sure on schools as of now, I'm just getting started. But frankly as long as I get in somewhere I don't care. what upper level classes would you recomend.

The dental school admins say majors dont matter. The most recent stats from ADEA bear them out. The ratio of science major applicants to acceptances is nearly the same as non science major applicants to acceptances.

podarki the classes you mentioned + intro to biochemistry, genetics, and cellular biology

From what I've observed, when schools say that your major doesn't matter, they mean exactly that. I am a music major (piano performance), and I am extremely pleased about my choice to do that. My feeling is that it really adds some depth to your application and sets you apart from the typical bio/chem majors. I interviewed at four schools and, invariably, the interviewers wanted to talk about music. They asked about my favorite composers, my activities within the department, music jobs I've had, etc. In fact, two of my interviewers were music majors themselves in undergrad!

There are more perks to majoring in a liberal arts discipline than just having something to talk about at the interview. If you choose a discipline that you like, your cumulative GPA will surely thrive. Not to mention, you might just have a little <gasp>...fun... during undergrad. :laugh:

You have four years of dental school to knock yourself out with science. If you have an interest in something outside biology or chemistry but still know you want to go into dentistry, take the plunge and major in it.

rwilli477 said:
From what I've observed, when schools say that your major doesn't matter, they mean exactly that. I am a music major (piano performance), and I am extremely pleased about my choice to do that. My feeling is that it really adds some depth to your application and sets you apart from the typical bio/chem majors. I interviewed at four schools and, invariably, the interviewers wanted to talk about music. They asked about my favorite composers, my activities within the department, music jobs I've had, etc. In fact, two of my interviewers were music majors themselves in undergrad!

There are more perks to majoring in a liberal arts discipline than just having something to talk about at the interview. If you choose a discipline that you like, your cumulative GPA will surely thrive. Not to mention, you might just have a little <gasp>...fun... during undergrad. :laugh:

You have four years of dental school to knock yourself out with science. If you have an interest in something outside biology or chemistry but still know you want to go into dentistry, take the plunge and major in it.

Thanks, Did you take a lot of extra science classes beyond the prereqs?

renaissance man :thumbup:

I majored in Anthropology. I don't think it hurt me.

Members don't see this ad :)
History Major and a low science GPA and still got a bunch of interviews and an acceptance to a good school so far. I agree with rwill in that it definitely adds depth to your application, as long as you have a good gpa, or in my case, good dats. Do what you want and good luck.

Thanks for all of your help. For those who were non traditional majors and got accepted, did you take lots of extra biology classes or just pre reqs?

I'd say that a lot of the liberal arts majors in my class are more rounded and muchbetter at giving presentations, speaking in general, etc.. Go for it. Take some upper level science classes along the way, and you’ll be fine.

dyarhea said:
renaissance man :thumbup:

You're a dork!!! The renaissance sucks. Medieval is where it is at you scoundral!!!!!!!

podarski said:
I was just wondering if I choose a liberal arts major will it hurt my application because it's not viewed as a very hard major. I am interested in liberal arts because it allows me to take the classes I want,logic,philosophy,buisness, etc... with out dragging out my education forever. But I don't want to do it if it will hurt my chances to get into dental school.

My AS degree is in liberal arts, and I had no problems. You could major in anything you want as long as you have sufficient preparation for a dental school curriculum.

I agree with the above posts - keep your education well rounded and you will thank yourself later. Aside from being able to participate in a multitude of conversation topics (which will be an assent during interviews), you will know so much more about the world than just molecules and reactions. I majored in Art History and Human Biology and I often get the same reaction from so many people: "What are you going to do with that combination?" Knowledge is so much more than just "doing something". It's so important to just know things. After I studied chem. I could then turn to the effects of post modernism on painting - it made for a very balanced education and I think it saved my sanity during my undergrad years.

Oh, and about Renaissance vs. Gothic/Medieval – both rock….but is anyone into 16th and 17th Netherlandish Art? Just me? Ok. :D

podarski said:
When I was interviewing at Case, my interviewer said I have amazing grades and awesome extra curriculars, the only problem was that I had a non science major. (I still got into Case december first) But I told them that even though I was a psychology major, I still took all the prerqs, and some biochem, cell, and anatomy. I told him that I chose a different major because I knew that I would never get to take those classes again, and I think being a non scinece major helps me be a more well rounded person. It helps me keep my sanity and be more personalbe, which is all very important when we become dentists.

favabean said:
Oh, and about Renaissance vs. Gothic/Medieval – both rock....

Favabean .... I think I got some gas while reading your post!!! The renaissance sux my gassy friend. S.U.X. With a capital S, U, and X.

delicious said:
Favabean .... I think I got some gas while reading your post!!! The renaissance sux my gassy friend. S.U.X. With a capital S, U, and X.

LOL :laugh: You wanna take this outside?

favabean said:
LOL :laugh: You wanna take this outside?

:laugh: :laugh:

Glad to see there's still people with a sense of humour on this site!!

i know a girl at ucla dental & she majored in french. don't worry.