Lexi vs Micromedex?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilostmyspacebar

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to go off on rotations soon and I'm wondering whether or not it's worth it to invest money on Lexi. Any thoughts? Does Micromedex have enough info for me to get by on my PDA?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried Epocrates free version? I use it everyday on rotation and I find it has pretty much everything I need. The only thing it doesn't have is OTC and herbal meds, but I don't really need that information often.

I am a fan of lexicomp. You might want to check your pharmacy library to sample it. Our library allows us to use their login/pw.

Members don't see this ad :)
i'm a fan of lexi-comp...i rely on it so much

micromedex freezes my PDA a lot

Have you tried Epocrates free version? I use it everyday on rotation and I find it has pretty much everything I need. The only thing it doesn't have is OTC and herbal meds, but I don't really need that information often.

I found many inconsistencies with Epocrates and I had many pharmacists tell me that it's not as accurate. I used Lexi-comp on rotations and it was worth the purchase price. We got a discount with school but it was still around $200. All the books are definately worth it. Last year I renewed w/ Lexi-select since most of the books hadn't been updated. I really like Lexi-comp and find it to come in handy. Plus most of the hospitals that I was in already had Micromedex so it was nice to have an alternate reference.

I found many inconsistencies with Epocrates and I had many pharmacists tell me that it's not as accurate.

I'm surprised to hear this. The majority of my classmates use it too and I've never heard of any wrong information. :thumbdown:

In all the comparisons I've seen, Micromedex usually has a lower ease of use factor than the other databases. You'll just be standing there clicking all day. I'd go with Lexicomp, but that's just me.

Lexi > Micromedex. Lexi is clearer, easier to use, good info.

I was about to buy epocrates essentials because there is no way lexi-comp so much better than its worth the 200+ dollars they are asking me for even with my discount and it only includes 1 year subscription.

I get epocrates essentials for 94 dollars per year and it includes everything lexi-comp has from what i can see. Anyone else use essentials here?

I was about to buy epocrates essentials because there is no way lexi-comp so much better than its worth the 200+ dollars they are asking me for even with my discount and it only includes 1 year subscription.

I get epocrates essentials for 94 dollars per year and it includes everything lexi-comp has from what i can see. Anyone else use essentials here?

Epocrates is not as precise as Lexi-comp and Clinical Pharmacology. Sometimes the dosing in just plain wrong, too. ( http://www.formchecker-gs.com/pdf/Butler_Study_Poster_2006.pdf )

Check the literature. There's a lot of informatics-based comparisons of these databases. I hate to say it, since I like free stuff, but you get what you pay for when it comes to pharmacy information (except if you're the patient asking a pharmacist a question :))