Letters of Rejection?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

box29

Keep on keepin' on Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was just wondering how the schools word their letters of rejection. I applied late to most schools.

The letter I received from AZCOM said that they are no longer sending invitations to interview and that I should apply early. I know this is a "quasi" rejection by default. Should I assume that I was not rejected based on my application and numbers?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey box,
Yeah I received the same letter a few days ago. I don't know if yours said this also, but mine informed me of ways I could help my application next year, one of which was applying early. Now, I applied at the end of July and if that isn't early enough, then I don't know what is. I was actually pretty upset with the letter, not just the fact that they didn't actually come out and say they didn't want me, but the fact that they insulted me as well. It really irritates me that they recommend us to send our applications in early, and when we do, they don't even have the decency to inform us even somewhat early in the process that they have no intentions of interviewing us (My application was complete by the end of August, yet I heard nothing from them until the 3rd week in Feb). It shows a lack of respect for us on their part, and I personally, do not want anything to do with a school like that. Furthermore, they even went on in the letter about what a wonderful school they are and how their students excell- nothing like bragging about what a great school you didn't get into, in the rejection letter. I was so upset about this letter that I was considering writing them about ways they can improve their "rejection technique" but realized it wasn't worth my time. On top of everything, they ended the letter with "we look forward to receiving your application in 2004." In my opinion, AZCOM's letter was rude and inconsiderate. The letter was so non-personal that I also do not know why I was rejected, and would have no clue what to improve on if I chose to apply next year. I applied early so that couldn't relate to me. I was just as confused as box when I read this letter. They really just needed to say that they didn't want to interview me and why. Other schools replied fairly quickly either way, and if they weren't interested, they came right out and said it. They also told me the main basis for their decision; the past rejection letters I have received have not been so cookie cutter where schools just replace the name, instead, they have been more specific to my individual appliaction, which in my opinion, is the least they can do. Afterall, we spent so much time filling out the applications and working so hard to get here that we deserve to know how to improve our applications if we need to apply for next year. Well, sorry if I seemed to rant but this letter really irritated me. AZCOM clearly showed me that it has no respect for me as an applicant. It shouldn't matter if they are interested in me or not, we all deserve respect for the work we've done to get this far.

I received the same letter from AZCOM and it was freak'n hilarious. I never even filled out their secondary because I didn't have the money. They send the same "crap-filled" letter to everyone. It was a very demeaning and haughty letter. They think their school is great and maybe it is for those that go there but I wouldn't want to go to AZCOm anyway. My friend interviewed there and was accepted but said the school sucked. If they think I am going to reapply next year they can look at the schools I've been accepted to and realize that they are smoking crack! There are a lot of other DO schools that are way better than AZCOM so keep your hopes up guys and reapplying doesn't hurt. Just cross them off your list next year and save your money.+pissed+

Hey guys, I'm sorry about the rejection and the lack of information. If I were you, I would call and ask to talk to someone and have them explain it to you. It is the least they could do. After all, you not only spent time filling out the application, but you also PAID money for them to consider you. I'm not going to rip on the school, because it?s a good school and I plan on attending there in the fall--but I do agree you deserve and explanation.

It probably doesn't make you feel any better, but I thought their acceptance letter was rather vague too. It said Congratulations! on being accepted and welcomed you to the class of 2007 in the first sentence. The entire rest of the letter talked about the need to sign the matriculation agreement and pay your first installment. But, it wasn't a HUGE deal to me.

Anyway, rather than my continued rambling, I would just recommend calling them and asking why. I think they would be more than happy to give you a reason and it would show interest on your part. Good luck!