Letters of Reccomendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aauerba1

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do they go in? When is the latest you can ask for one?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you are applying for. Some specialties, like Gen Surg, have deadlines between October 15 and November 1 for NRMP applications. Obviously you need to have your letters in by then. Other specialties generally have later dates and specialties which use the SF Match may have totally different dates.

In general, if going through the NRMP October is about the latest you want your letters to ensure they will get uploaded to the ERAS server in time, but again, if program deadlines are later in your specialty of choice, you will have more time.

aauerba1 said:
When do they go in? When is the latest you can ask for one?

I would ask for them as early as possible because sometimes it takes a little while for the attendings to get them done and some don't follow through. I heard something about them not being too outdated but I asked the end of my 3rd year and the last one was submitted to ERAS in sept after I had done an elective in my field of interest.
You can submit the letters yourself to ERAS (especially as IMG) or the docs can send them in themselves. Just be sure to give them the form and everything they would need to make it as easy as possible.