Letters of Recc questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baymed408

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just had a talk with a PD at a recent conference, the question came up whether to submit a letter of reccomendation that I got in the beginning of my 3rd year (im a 4th yr now). He said that letters older than a few months ago need to be re -updated with new dates and re sent to eras? I dont get it whats the big deal nothing has changed. What do you guys think should i bother the doc again for the new letter?

Another point i want to ask is that one of my letter writers actually wrote that i am "weighing the advantages of peds vs. famly medicine". And the PD said that this can be a red flag, because now that im deciding on familiy med. This can be reasons that i may not be committed to the specialty.. Any thoughts whethter to submit the letter or ask the doc to omit this sentence. This letter was from a while back too. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

baymed408 said:
Ok so I just had a talk with a PD at a recent conference, the question came up whether to submit a letter of reccomendation that I got in the beginning of my 3rd year (im a 4th yr now). He said that letters older than a few months ago need to be re -updated with new dates and re sent to eras? I dont get it whats the big deal nothing has changed. What do you guys think should i bother the doc again for the new letter?

Another point i want to ask is that one of my letter writers actually wrote that i am "weighing the advantages of peds vs. famly medicine". And the PD said that this can be a red flag, because now that im deciding on familiy med. This can be reasons that i may not be committed to the specialty.. Any thoughts whethter to submit the letter or ask the doc to omit this sentence. This letter was from a while back too. Thanks

I think that if you were on good enough terms to ask people for letters in the first place, it shouldn't be a problem to go back and ask them to update them.

Regarding the two specialty thing, I've also heard from a PD that it's a huge red flag when applying to residency. You've got to be committed at this point. I'd definitely tell that letter writer my intentions and have them update the letter accordingly.

Now that you've decided on family medicine, I would definitely approach the attending and let him or her know of your decision. The attending can then remove the words "weighing the advantages of peds vs. famly medicine." It is important to show that you are committed to the specialty of family medicine.

It's usually not a problem for attendings to update letters of recommendation that were written during the third year of med school (before you finalized your career plans). It's in your best interests to have an updated letter sent. Accomplishments and awards that you have received after the letter was written can be incorporated into an updated letter. The letter writer can highlight certain qualities and strengths that may be more attractive to the specialty you have chosen. These are just some examples of how an updated letter may help you.

Samir Desai, MD