Letters Of Rec, how soon??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dungie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How early did your professors sent out your LORs to the schools? I am planning on applying for opt school in Aug/Sep '08, and I know that certain schools such as UHCO allows LORs to be sent in 3 years in advance before receiving your application. However, I'm not sure about NOVA, SCCO, and Indiana? :confused:

Did anyone send out LORs to the schools before they sent in their online application?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You can do that...many schools will open a file for you ahead of time. I'm afraid they'll lose it though! Anyone get their transcript or LOR lost by the school?

I was afraid of that too. I keep hearing stories about the schools losing files, >.< It would suck to have to ask the profs to redo all the forms again. I'd already emailed the schools I'm applying to ask about sending early LORs, but no reply yet. Hopefully, the admission people will get back to me soon. I was actually going to wait before getting the letters, but I didn't want to lose contact my (really) old professors. One of my LOR is from a prof. I took in freshman year, lol. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would just keep up with it. Once you know the letter has been sent, call the school to check that they got it. Once they know they have it, they shouldn't lost it...

You can do that...many schools will open a file for you ahead of time. I'm afraid they'll lose it though! Anyone get their transcript or LOR lost by the school?

Ferris lost my ENTIRE FILE. Applied around November, found out they lost everything in april. That did not work out well for me.

PCO lost one of my LORs, found out about that at the interview, was able to get it replaced and was not a big deal.

Thanks JackCM for the tip! I will probably call after all the LORs are in. SCCO replied in email and said that they're taking LORs a year in advance. AwesomeSauce, that must had been horrible for you!! I'm glad you got everything fixed with PCO in the end though, :)

If you're in a school that has a professional board comittee, then you should get them as soon as possible and they can hold them until you are ready to go (and send them out whenever), but if not I'd just wait until you are ready to apply, but make sure you ask those who are in higher demand for recs early enough for them to get your recs out in time...so its hard to say depending on the class size I guess...just use your judgement

If you're asking for recs anyways they should be from prof who will back you up if the school loses them, or if you ask late then they will still remember you...if they forget you then you shouldn't be getting a rec from then anyways