letters for ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACSlater

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to press submit for my application tonight. However, I have one last decision to make. Since I am changing specialties this year, I have the option of using many letters of rec. Is there any way to send more than 4 letters? i am trying to decide between a letter from someone who knows me well and explained my situation or between someone from the specialty i am applying to, who i mention in my PS but who i am not sure wrote me as strong a letter. what would you do?

Members don't see this ad.

You were name-dropping in your PS? Uhhh, good luck with that. That's the first time I've heard of it done. Anyways, ERAS will only allow you to send up to 4 letters. Although if you feel that more are necessary, then you may be able to mail them directly to the programs. Still, I would recommend against this. They might see it as "This applicant had 3 great letters, but then look at this other one who needed to send us 6 to justify his candidacy for our program."

is it a faux pas to mention people you worked with in your ps? :eek:

I don't know that it is a faux pas. I have just never seen it in any of my friends' personal statements. I am of the opinion that the personal statement should be about the applicant, and not about the marvelous well-known Dr. so-and-so. That could be mentioned in the CV and doesn't need to be restated in the PS anyways (unlinke one of my friends who basically included her CV in her PS). It may work well, it may not, I don't know. It just doesn't sound right to me.