Letter of Rec & Volunteer hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

govols16

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone knew more about the letters of recommendation. I am wondering how many I need and who they should be from. Do I need to have letters from multiple professors? Or can I have some from doctors I shadowed, professors, and professionals (such as supervisors from volunteer activities).

My other question is about volunteer hours. My university has a program where I can log hours that are confirmed by supervisors that are then put on my transcript as service hours. Is logging these hours necessary, or is just a resume with what I have done sufficient?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

- Med Schools require LORs. Each different school has different requirements, but, in general, you need at minimum 2 science professors & 1 non-science professor to write you one. Doctors you've shadowed, supervisors, or employer LORs can also be used, but that's generally on top of the ones you'll already need to compile.

- I don't understand what you're asking in your second question. Aren't you saying the hours volunteering at your uni are confirmed by supervisors and put on your transcript? If it is, just keep on doing that. Sounds like a good system to me.

Take a look at WedgeDawg's sticky just above...Med School Applicant Sticky. It will provide the answer to this and many other questions.