Letter of rec from a doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WheatLom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I may need to have an MD write me a letter of recommendation for dental school. My dentist that said he will do it is being very uncooperative. Will it be a bad sign if i got it from an MD? I mean some schools say that it is ok for an MD or dentist to write about my ethics. The one I am applying majority say either your choice, an employer, or 3rd professor.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where do all schools say that? Most I've seen say "Dentist letter of recommendation". I'd strongly advise you to try and get a dentist LOR and not an MD

I just have no one to ask, and I need to submit my application.

Midwestern Il, Iowa

I am calling him in like 10-15 minutes. See what happens. That is my plan if I can not get a hold of him.
He did say he would write it for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not MDs, all of the LORs ask for 1 dentist

Not MDs, all of the LORs ask for 1 dentist

IU, Iowa, Midwestern il, Minnesota, Marquette University. to name a few all either say MD, an employer or someone of your choosing.

NYU, Michigan, creighton is part of that, Ill keep adding as I search and call schools.

Last edited:
If it's the best you can get then get it. You are getting late not to have submitted yet so either make a plan to get a dentist letter or just risk it with the MD letter. Obviously you understand its not optimal but it's better than no/terrible letter.

Sent from my SM-G550T using SDN mobile

Ive gotten another dentist to write one. The one that owns the practice. I can still submit my app right? I have 2 -3 weeks for me DAT scores to go into the system

Yes you can submit your app while they write the letter. It's best to do that so they can get your scores and grades verified.

Reactions: 1 user