Letter of Rec for TY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shad420w

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering what would be the best idea for a letter of rec to use for my TY application....

(1) A locally well known surgeon letter

(2) A family doc who knows me well and is a family friend

(3) Possibly a letter from the attending during my sub-I in medicine which I start next month.

Also.. did you turn in your rad onc LORs to TY programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering what would be the best idea for a letter of rec to use for my TY application....

(1) A locally well known surgeon letter

(2) A family doc who knows me well and is a family friend

(3) Possibly a letter from the attending during my sub-I in medicine which I start next month.

Also.. did you turn in your rad onc LORs to TY programs?

I think the TYs are used to getting a lot of LORs from the respective specialties of the applicants. I sent at least a couple rad onc letters. That being said, of those you have listed, I think #3 will probably mean the most to your TY because they want to know how you are going to perform for them in internal medicine. If you can get the letter submitted reasonably soon, that is. If your rotation is in September (and most attendings take a couple weeks to get the letter together) we could be talking mid-late October before it is received, which is later than a lot of the TYs want to see it. In which case I guess I would be unable to choose between choices #1 and #2. Whichever will speak more favorably of you, I guess.