Letter of Rec Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oatstudentadvice

Reaction score
Hey guys! I'm new to the optometry admissions process and I wanted to get optometry experience earlier this year, but it didn't work out due to COVID. Thankfully, my optometrist was nice enough to let me shadow and so far, I have done about 10 hours of shadowing with him. He is pretty much my only option in getting a letter of recommendation and I was wondering if you guys have advice on when it would be appropriate to ask? I haven't done too many hours with him yet, but I really wanted to submit my application ASAP (mid august the latest) because I don't see myself as a strong applicant. This would probably give him 3-4 weeks to write the letter, if I were to ask right now. Do you guys have any advice on whether now would be an appropriate time to ask (even though I shadowed him only for a few hours so far) and if 3-4 weeks is an appropriate amount of time to ask for a recommendation?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should ask him! Given the circumstances, he should understand and the fact that you are giving him a good amount of time to write the letter helps even more! I would give him your resume, personal statement, and write him a short note explaining why you value his perspective and some things that you learned while shadowing him. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Ask him- but keep shadowing him in the meantime. That a way he can still develop that relationship with you and sees you are truly interested in shadowing and not just the letter.

Reactions: 1 user