Letter of Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MeredithGrey18

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions as to whether a letter of interest is appropriate for the following situation:

Of all the medical schools that I submitted completed applications to, I am now only seriously considering two of them. One I have been accepted to; the other I am currently waiting on a post-interview decision. I love different aspects about both schools. I think being able to attend their Second Looks would by helpful in the decision making process. Essentially, if I were waitlisted and later accepted, I would feel as though I have an incomplete picture of the school as compared to the one where I attended Second Look.

Is it appropriate to send a letter of interest post-II that basically says, "Hey, I really love your school for X, Y, and Z reasons. You're in my top two choices. Sprinkle in an update."? Is it helpful to name the other school I'm accepted to in the letter? What about suggesting that the Second Look would be important to me?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah just send a letter of interest. I wouldn't say "you are in my top two" just make it something like "blah blah...is why I consider your school a top choice" and I wouldn't say anything about second look.

You're going to get a lot of people here on sdn saying that it's a waste of time to send one etc. etc. but a properly worded letter will not hurt so just send it.

Just make sure they don't explicitly say "don't send us anything" in which case just don't.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree with Spectar. Send a quick email explaining that this is definitely one of your top 2s and you really want to know everything about the school. They MIGHT let you come to second look day... they normally don't but I think it would be a great idea since it is one of your top choices.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it appropriate to send a letter of interest post-II that basically says, "Hey, I really love your school for X, Y, and Z reasons. You're in my top two choices. Sprinkle in an update."? Is it helpful to name the other school I'm accepted to in the letter? What about suggesting that the Second Look would be important to me?

Do it and report back.

Nobody wants to hear that they are in the top two!
6 years from now it will be the norm to send letters two weeks after submitting primaries to each school:
"I wanted to reiterate my interest in XYZSOM as one of my top 22 choices for medical school..."

Reactions: 2 users
I ended up submitting the LOI. I'll let you know how it turns out.