Letter of Intent Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

new_to_medicine

Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time posting but I've really appreciated all of the helpful information you've all been providing in regards to MD/PhD admissions and the physician scientist career path.

I'm currently an MD/PhD applicant and I've received one acceptance, but I've been waitlisted at 3 more programs. One of the the waitlisted programs is my top choice and after sending an update to this school as well as reiterating my strong interest in their program, I'm certain that I'd like to send a letter of intent now. I had a couple questions and I was hoping people wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts.

1. Is it necessary in the letter of intent to specifically mention by name which schools/programs you would essentially be turning down if you received an acceptance? I've seen some example letters and many of them explicitly state other schools acceptances by name. (ex. "I've received an acceptance offer from ABC University as well as waitlist positions at DEF School of Medicine, and XYZ School of Health Sciences, but if offered an acceptance from your school, I can say without a doubt that I will accept it... etc")

2. When is an appropriate time to send a letter of intent? I've seen March 14th referenced as a day when schools must send out their first round of acceptances. Should a letter be sent before or after this date, or really at any time now considering interviews are pretty much over.

I'd appreciate any advice and feedback. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, first time posting but I've really appreciated all of the helpful information you've all been providing in regards to MD/PhD admissions and the physician scientist career path.

I'm currently an MD/PhD applicant and I've received one acceptance, but I've been waitlisted at 3 more programs. One of the the waitlisted programs is my top choice and after sending an update to this school as well as reiterating my strong interest in their program, I'm certain that I'd like to send a letter of intent now. I had a couple questions and I was hoping people wouldn't mind sharing their thoughts.

1. Is it necessary in the letter of intent to specifically mention by name which schools/programs you would essentially be turning down if you received an acceptance? I've seen some example letters and many of them explicitly state other schools acceptances by name. (ex. "I've received an acceptance offer from ABC University as well as waitlist positions at DEF School of Medicine, and XYZ School of Health Sciences, but if offered an acceptance from your school, I can say without a doubt that I will accept it... etc")

2. When is an appropriate time to send a letter of intent? I've seen March 14th referenced as a day when schools must send out their first round of acceptances. Should a letter be sent before or after this date, or really at any time now considering interviews are pretty much over.

I'd appreciate any advice and feedback. Thanks.
1. No.
2. Now.

Reactions: 1 users