Letter of Continued Interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Husk325

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been waitlisted at my top choice school (but have been accepted elsewhere), and I was wondering if anyone had any information about or experience with sending a letter of continued interest. I know that med school and law school waitlisters utilize them pretty heavily, but I had not heard anything or read anything on the vet forum about pre-vet students sending letters to their desired school. Will it help my chances at all? Do vet schools even take them into consideration? Do I send an email or an actual letter through snail mail? If it makes any difference, the school where I'm trying to get off the waitlist is Tufts, and they do not rank their waitlisters, but rather reassess applicants on the list after an opening becomes available. Thanks in advance for any info!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never even heard of this. Basically, if you're waitlisted, the schools assume you're still interested unless you specifically tell them to take you off the waitlist. So, no. Don't send anything.

Reactions: 2 users
I have heard of these and am considering sending one myself. The letter says more than I really want to go to your school. It's saying, on your word, that if I am accepted to your school, I will attend without question. As OP said, med/law applicants use them often. I'm surprised not many vet applicants have heard of this. As to whether they are effective or not, I don't know, but I doubt it could hurt you. It seems like a letter of interest could actually be helpful at a school like Tufts that reevaluates for every spot that opens. I would send it through snail mail over e-mail, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard of these and am considering sending one myself. The letter says more than I really want to go to your school. It's saying, on your word, that if I am accepted to your school, I will attend without question. As OP said, med/law applicants use them often. I'm surprised not many vet applicants have heard of this. As to whether they are effective or not, I don't know, but I doubt it could hurt you. It seems like a letter of interest could actually be helpful at a school like Tufts that reevaluates for every spot that opens. I would send it through snail mail over e-mail, though.

This. While it may not boost your chances, I highly doubt it would hurt. Especially with a school that does a full re-evaluation and isn't going off a hard & fast list. I also think snail mail is the way to go.

I've certainly heard of them and I highly doubt their efficacy. If you're dead-set on sending one, I would word it as an update - I've done x, y and z to improve my application while I wait, not just "Plz accept me I will come."

Reactions: 1 users
I personally would highly advise against this. Some schools prohibit the sending of thank you notes. This could be seen as swaying admissions. It is much much more safe to not send anything if in doubt.

This. While it may not boost your chances, I highly doubt it would hurt. Especially with a school that does a full re-evaluation and isn't going off a hard & fast list. I also think snail mail is the way to go.

Reactions: 1 user
And besides, being called off of the waitlist isn't usually a matter of who the adcom thinks is more interested. Lists are already ranked, so you get called off if they reach you most of the time.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, definitely include an update with things you've been doing and any classes you've taken (with grades - if this was a weakness), too. Also, as rockatiel said, some schools may prohibit it. I would e-mail someone in the admissions office (not on the adcom), and see what they say first for sure.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I appreciate it!