lets talk Cards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTCA

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
is this the field to go into?is there any catch?what are the prospects(mra vs diagnostic cath etc.)?is interventional cards worth it(8 years makes less than certain surgical subspecialties)?do you get sued a lot? How do they deal with it? How do you know if you have the manual dexterity required? Is there a danger of thoracic surgeons doing angioplasty? I have read of some int cards programs offering training in ?peripheral interventions? do they mean like the ones done by interventional radiologists (peripheral arterial thrombolysis /stenting /intraluminal arterial grafting)? Are cardiologists allowed to do these procedures? Is it worth getting training in peripheral interventions as well? If there is such an expansion to what extent does it favor the field financially? What are the diseases treated by the cardiologist outside the hospital (do most people consult a cardiologist for hypertension or do they rely on an internist GP what are the conditions that they can not just diagnose actually treat medically in private practice). Will cardiology lose any procedures/ tests or gain new ones in the visible future? Could the current trend in morbidity (declining coronary disease) threaten the field financially? (Oh my god I didn?t just say that?!!!!!!!!)
Thanks in advance for any info

Members don't see this ad.

Alot of your questions have been discussed in the past...you should use the search function available and see what you come up with. Needless to say as the population ages and the trend towards increased obesity through the great american diet I think there will always be an old person with chest pain who needs a good cardiologist.

thanks for telling me about the search option. i hadnt used it before.