Lets discuss questions of NBDE 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d dimps

d dimps
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1). .Which angle does a P Wave makes on ECG?
a). .45 degree
b). .180 degree
c). .0 degree
d). .-45 degree
e). .-180 degree.

2). .What is endogenous cholesterol? Most endogenous cholesterol is converted to?
a). .Glucose
b). .Cholic acid
c). .Steroid
d). .Oxaloacetete
e). .Ketone bodies

3). .Which of the following statement is correct regarding Glioblastoma multiforme?
a). .the tumor is most common before puberty
b). .it is classified as a type of meningioma
c). .it is most common type of Astrocytoma.
d). .Its prognosis is generally more favourablethan Grade 1 astrocytoma.
e). .It is derived from the epithelial lining of ventricles

4). .Which of the following pathological changes is irreversible?
a). .fatty changes in liver cells
b). .karyolysis in myocardial cells
c). .glycogen deposition in hepatocyte nuclei
d). .hydropic vacuolization of renal tubular epithelial cells.

5). .An example of Synergism is the effect of?
a). .insulin and glucagon on blood glucose
b). .estrogen and progesterone on uterine motility
c). .growth hormone and thyroxine on skeletal growth.
d). .Antidiuretic hormone and aldosterone on potassium excretion.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think this cud be the explanation.Digestion and absorption of Fats,vitamins and protiens takes place in small intestiine ,small fraction of digestion of protein takes place in stomach too.so here we r eliminating ulcerative colitis which involves rectum.
correct me if i'm wrong.

Hello everyone,

I recently got my score for part 1 and scored 96% like Elmos!!! I am very happy and want to help everybody who is preparing for part 1 as much as I can.

@gotaf-hey congratulations!!!u did a gr8 job!!!hats off to u.....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
n also thanx a million for ur feedbck abt the exm....helps alot!!!
iam kinda in the same situation as u were....the qestns discussed by bratdoc,teethie n evrybdy use to scare me!!!....now iam jus concentratin on basics!n yes true biochem sucks!!!
gudluck wid admissions!

Thanks Annie!!! Yeah concentrate on basics. I used to hate Biochemistry too literally pulling out my hair at times:laugh:
But believe me once you have the right kind of material and you get the hang of it, its not that bad. I had the hardest section on Biochem/physio on my exam. Had I not read some of the books like lehninger I would have never been able to answer those questions and score so well!!! If you have time and are in usa, go to the public library and see if they have any books on biochemistry. Because Nbde 1st aid sucks as far as biochem goes!
Decks has many mistakes. Thats my personal opinion.
Good luck to you. And yeah one more thing if you cant find an answer to one question dont spend too much time on it. I used to make this mistake, at times spending half a day on it!!! Its not worth it.
Good luck. I can see you are a hard worker. You will do well:)

Thanks Annie!!! Yeah concentrate on basics. I used to hate Biochemistry too literally pulling out my hair at times:laugh:
But believe me once you have the right kind of material and you get the hang of it, its not that bad. I had the hardest section on Biochem/physio on my exam. Had I not read some of the books like lehninger I would have never been able to answer those questions and score so well!!! If you have time and are in usa, go to the public library and see if they have any books on biochemistry. Because Nbde 1st aid sucks as far as biochem goes!
Decks has many mistakes. Thats my personal opinion.
Good luck to you. And yeah one more thing if you cant find an answer to one question dont spend too much time on it. I used to make this mistake, at times spending half a day on it!!! Its not worth it.
Good luck. I can see you are a hard worker. You will do well:)
Hey thanx gotaf....u gave some very practical advice there...thanxalot for that....will concentrate more on biochem...dont really like the kaplan(for any subj...dunno y)decks and 1st aid-agree lots of mistakes!headbanger!LOL...Will do sm books(will checkout ur lehninger)iam not in US so hard to find em thou.
anyways ...truly impressed wid u!:bow: hope to see ur name in the bestest of the dental schools!gudluck!

Thnx so much Gotaf; & congratulations on that awesome score. You could'nt be closer to the truth... i have been overwhelmed by the same range of emotions and despair in the last some days since i started visiting the sdn and realising hw little i know and hw unprepared i am to take the exam. And also have the benefit of having the Kaplan USMLE and BRS which personally seem to be far superior in the information perspective they provide.. but evrything i read seems to just evaporate into thin air... am grateful to you for writing across and guiding us at this juncture.. am planning to take the exam next May or June... and am sure gonna follow your advice to the 'T'... Wish you goodluck for your admissions :)

Thanks Anaita.
Yes, I know the range of emotions one goes through and thats why I wrote such a long piece so comfort everyone that this is normal!
The reason is that we have so much to study and it can be overwhelming. There were days when I used to feel I can't do this and days when I used to feel very confident when I started grasping a lot of the difficult topics. You have a lot of time and you can afford to study in detail which will help you better retain the basics. Try to solve questions on websites of universities of medical schools. There are lots of practice quizzes available. It helped me lot especially for topics like Brachial Plexus etc. Don't worry that things are evaporating in thin air!!! Revise and re-read and by the 3rd revision, links will start forming in your mind about how so many subjects are inter-related and will help you in understanding them. You can also find valuable info from usmle forums like the prep4usmle.com. Good luck.

Hey thanx gotaf....u gave some very practical advice there...thanxalot for that....will concentrate more on biochem...dont really like the kaplan(for any subj...dunno y)decks and 1st aid-agree lots of mistakes!headbanger!LOL...Will do sm books(will checkout ur lehninger)iam not in US so hard to find em thou.
anyways ...truly impressed wid u!:bow: hope to see ur name in the bestest of the dental schools!gudluck!

Thanks again.
Concentrate on all subjects but yeah Biochem took up a lot of my time:)
Even Physio for that matter esp topics like Na-K pump and what happens if K is low or high etc. cos I would forget the fundas even after understanding them after a month:p
So I wrote them down in my own words once I used to get the concept.
Try this link
http://bcs.whfreeman.com/lehninger5e/default.asp?s=&n=&i=&v=&o=&ns=0&uid=0&rau=0
and click on the interactive quizzes section and try solving some of them. Its based on Lehningers book.
Don't worry if you dont have this book cos there is lots of info on the web.
Try youtube also cos they have brilliant videos some on biochem.
Hope this helps.

mass movements in large intestine occur when food enters:
a)mouth
b)colon
c)stomach
d)pharynx
e)esophagus

isn't it the colon???

hyperventilation produces muscle spams,because:
a) too much O2 available
b) fatigue in the respiratory muscle
c) no enough phosphate available
d) loss of CO2 caused alkalosis
e) pH of blood dropped rapidly

Members don't see this ad :)
hyperventilation produces muscle spams,because:
a) too much O2 available
b) fatigue in the respiratory muscle
c) no enough phosphate available
d) loss of CO2 caused alkalosis
e) pH of blood dropped rapidly

hypocapnia causes cerebral vasoconstriction, leading to cerebral hypoxia and this can cause transient dizziness, visual disturbances, and anxiety. A low partial pressure of carbon dioxide in the blood also causes alkalosis (because CO2 is acidic in solution), leading to lowered plasma calcium ions and nerve and muscle excitability. This explains the other common symptoms of hyperventilation —pins and needles, muscle cramps and tetany in the extremities, especially hands and feet.

i think this cud be the explanation.Digestion and absorption of Fats,vitamins and protiens takes place in small intestiine ,small fraction of digestion of protein takes place in stomach too.so here we r eliminating ulcerative colitis which involves rectum.
correct me if i'm wrong.

Yes that's correct @denstudnit. Also, here are my reasons

all cause malabsorption of vitamins ,fats and protiens EXCEPT:
a) atrophic gastric gastritis- usually associated with pernicious anemia. So would lead to vit B12 deficiency.
b) obstructive jaundice- causes Bile salt malabsorption which I think would ultimately affect fat absorption. Also Vit A,D,E, K are fat soluble.
c) ulcerative colitis-does not affect ileum
d) crohn's disease-Crohn's disease of the upper part (duodenum) and middle part (jejunum) of the small intestine may interfere with the absorption of proteins, sugars, iron, vitamins, and fats.
e) giardiasis-does lead to malabsorption.

Here are some helpful links:
http://www.medicinenet.com/inflammatory_bowel_disease_intestinal_problems/page9.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malabsorption
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/931041-overview

Last edited:
Last edited:
@simian- on it!
another qn- what are the consequences of sectioning trigeminal nerve below level of medulla??

out of four trigeminal nucleii, only spinal nucleus extends till cervical spinal cord (i.e,below medulla).main sensory nucleus(pons) derives its input from axons from trigeminal ganglion which is in petrous temporal bone.
so,sectioning at the level below medulla on one side affects only the spinal nucleus and hence results in loss of pain sensation of the same side.
please correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited:
out of four trigeminal nucleii, only spinal nucleus extends till cervical spinal cord (i.e,below medulla).main sensory nucleus(pons) derives its input from axons from trigeminal ganglion which is in petrous temporal bone.
so,sectioning at the level below medulla on one side affects only the spinal nucleus and hence results in loss of pain sensation of the same side.
could u pls tell m where can i study this topic.....im kinda confused :(

i had read those...i meant somethin about nerve section symptoms in detail

Neuoroanatomy is a VERY IMP topic I feel.
It is imp to know what would have if which nerve is sectioned where and whether deficits would be ipsilateral or contralateral.
Same goes with the major tracts.
Since you guys have only 10 days, this is the best resource

http://www.neuroanatomy.wisc.edu/virtualbrain/BrainStem/03CNV.html

It gives details of almost every nerve sectioning. Its prepared by neuroanatomy professor of University of Wisconsin I think and was extremely helpful to me.

Remember also to distinguish between Corticospinal and Corticobulbar tracts(head and neck).
For students who have the time, clinical neuroanatomy by Stephen Waxman is another great resource.

Last edited:

Trigeminal nerve is very imp topic.
Also, remember that Spinal tract of Trigeminal nucleus is divided into 3 parts:
1.) Subnucleus Oralis
2.) Subnucleus Interpolaris
3.) Subnucleus Caudalis.
I found this info only in Okeson Chapter 2.
They have asked a question on this in released Pilot exam 2004, question 179.

Of these, Subnucleus Caudalis is considered to be involved in nociception.

It is imp to know what would have if which nerve is sectioned where and whether deficits would be ipsilateral or contralateral.

It gives details of almost every nerve sectioning. Its prepared by neuroanatomy professor of University of Wisconsin I think and was extremely helpful to me.

Remember also to distinguish between Corticospinal and Corticobulbar tracts(head and neck).
For students who have the time, clinical neuroanatomy by Stephen Waxman is another great resource.
thnx:thumbup:

Trigeminal nerve is very imp topic.
Also, remember that Spinal tract of Trigeminal nucleus is divided into 3 parts:
1.) Subnucleus Oralis
2.) Subnucleus Interpolaris
3.) Subnucleus Caudalis.
I found this info only in Okeson Chapter 2.
They have asked a question on this in released Pilot exam 2004, question 179.

Of these, Subnucleus Caudalis is considered to be involved in nociception.

Thanx Gotaf.. just started with Anatomy.. thats really very well explained. i meant in the website..

Thanks a lott Gotaf!!:)

q:the mandibular molar proximal crown surfaces nomally exhibits the largest largest size?

a, Me of 1
b,Dis of 1
C Mes of 2
D. Dis of 2
E. Me of 3.

please tell me the answer and why? can't find its answer anywhere:(

q:the mandibular molar proximal crown surfaces nomally exhibits the largest largest size?

a, Me of 1
b,Dis of 1
C Mes of 2
D. Dis of 2
E. Me of 3.

please tell me the answer and why? can't find its answer anywhere:(

Mesial of 1st
mandibular molars have feature that mesial crown surface is greater that distal surface of the same tooth,and other feature that proximal surfaces get smaller as u go distally
so the mesial of the 1st mandibular molar would be the largest among them

The root trunk of the permanent mandibular first molar is

1.equal in lengh to the mesial bifurcation of the max I molar
2.equal in length to the buccal bifurcation of the max I molar
3.common for the pulp canals of mesiobuccal,mesiolingual,distobuccal and distolingual
4.equal in length to the crown.

which of the following statements is always true of dental hypoplasia?

1.affected teeth are always stained in varying hues
2.it is inevitable consequence of water flouridation
3.it is more common in adult females than in teenagers
4.if it is goin to occur,it will be present when the teeth erupt

In normal occlusion,when the mandible makes a right lateral movement ,which of the following may be in relation to the ML cusp of Max Left I molar?

1.sulcus between distofacial and distal cusps of the mandibular first molar
2.sulcus between lingual cusps of mand I molar
3.embrasure bet mand I molar and II pm
4.none of the above.

ans given is 1.??

Last edited:
According to asda ans paper, the mand I pm has cusps which may have vastly different forms.
does anyone know further information regarding this?

Hey evrybody,
When you all refer to Okeson, do you guys imply the book on "Management of TMJ disorders and Occlusion" authored by him or is there a separate book on DA by him.. plz do let me know...

Another doubt..
which occlusal anatomical sturcture of max Imolar opposes the distal triangular fossa of mand I molar?

Last edited:
Hey evrybody,
When you all refer to Okeson, do you guys imply the book on "Management of TMJ disorders and Occlusion" authored by him or is there a separate book on DA by him.. plz do let me know...
There is no seperate book on DA Anaita....Its "Manag. of TMJ disorders" only....just one book.

Last edited:

1.affected teeth are always stained in varying hues(always....:confused:)
2.it is inevitable consequence of water flouridation.....answer
3.it is more common in adult females than in teenagers(can occur in anybody)
4.if it is goin to occur,it will be present when the teeth erupt(can be seen due to nutritional deficiency/environmental factors in later life)
:thumbup:

In normal occlusion,when the mandible makes a right lateral movement ,which of the following may be in relation to the ML cusp of Max Left I molar?

1.sulcus between distofacial and distal cusps of the mandibular first molar
2.sulcus between lingual cusps of mand I molar
3.embrasure bet mand I molar and II pm
4.none of the above.

ans given is 1.??

got it!coz the movement of mandible is ANTERIOR and medial in non working side

Enamel hypoplasia is a defect in amelogenesis which may occur as a cosequence of mutations, nutrition, environmental factors during the formation of enamel, so the teeth would erupt with the defect... so i think asda's answer is right:)
Thanx Annie on the input on Okeson..

Enamel hypoplasia is a defect in amelogenesis which may occur as a cosequence of mutations, nutrition, environmental factors during the formation of enamel, so the teeth would erupt with the defect... so i think asda's answer is right:)
Thanx Annie on the input on Okeson..

Thanks Anaita and Perfectionist1 for the answers:)

1.affected teeth are always stained in varying hues
2.it is inevitable consequence of water flouridation
3.it is more common in adult females than in teenagers
4.if it is goin to occur,it will be present when the teeth erupt-NOT ALWAYS TRUE

"Hypoplasia is most common in the permanent,
or adult teeth.Hypoplasia in deciduous or baby teeth is extremely
rare since the fetus is usually well nourished in the
womb. A case of hypoplasia in the baby teeth is
generally a sign that the baby was born prematurely
or was nurtured in the womb of a very sick woman."
Also when we say flourosis/environmental factors/vitamin deficiency as a cause...that occurs only after the teeth erupts.

Also when we say flourosis/environmental factors/vitamin deficiency as a cause...that occurs only after the teeth erupts.

But enamel matrix formation,maturation and calcification take place b4 the tooth erupts in the oral cavity.As Anaita said, fcators like flourosis/enviromental factors/vit def affect these steps .

let us take permanent max central incisor for example.
evidence of calcification-3-4 months postnatal,enamel completion--4yrs.if the child is exposed to the above said factors in this duration,then the enamel formation is affected.and when the max central incisor erupt at 7 yrs,it is already having enamel hypoplasia.
after tooth eruption,the above said factors cant affect enamel formation.
hope i didnt confuse you:)

i think asda ans is right.whether the insult occur prenatally or postnatal...hypoplasia will be seen only if it effects enamel matrix formation.so it is physically evident at the time tooth erupts in mouth bcoz its intrinsic defect in enamel formation(and as we know formation of enamel is complete before eruption).the info u cited above is right but its a comparison of whether hypoplasia is common in deci. or perm teeth.and its not very relevant to askd qn.

the cerebellar cortex is characterized histologically by which of the following types of cells?
1.basket
2.purkinje
3.pyramidal
4.martinotti
5.horizontal

the cerebellar cortex is characterized histologically by which of the following types of cells?
1.basket --- cerebellum+hippocampus+cerebral cortex
2.purkinje---- cerebellum only
3.pyramidal --- in cerebral cortex
4.martinotti --- cerebral cortex
5.horizontal--- retinal cells

hence the Q is about a histologic characteristic,so the answer is purkinji

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.