'Less than 6hours of sleep a night leads to early death' researchers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

African

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, most of those preparing for usmle are med students who are obviously trying make the best of what little time they have, but please get at least 7-8 hours of sleep.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8660373.stm

Lack of sleep 'linked to early death'

Getting less than six hours sleep a night can lead to an early grave, UK and Italian researchers have warned.
They said people regularly having such little sleep were 12% more likely to die over a 25-year period than those who got an "ideal" six to eight hours.
They also found an association between sleeping for more than nine hours and early death, although that much sleep may merely be a marker of ill health.
Sleep journal reports the findings, based on 1.5m people in 16 studies.

The study looked at the relationship between sleep and mortality by reviewing earlier studies from the UK, US and European and East Asian countries.
Premature death from all causes was linked to getting either too little or too much sleep outside of the "ideal" six to eight hours per night.
But while a lack of sleep may be a direct cause of ill health, ultimately leading to an earlier death, too much sleep may merely be a marker of ill health already, the UK and Italian researchers believe.
Time pressures
Professor Francesco Cappuccio, leader of the Sleep, Health and Society Programme at the UK's University of Warwick, said: "Modern society has seen a gradual reduction in the average amount of sleep people take and this pattern is more common amongst full-time workers, suggesting that it may be due to societal pressures for longer working hours and more shift-work.
"On the other hand, the deterioration of our health status is often accompanied by an extension of our sleeping time."
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
Five hours is insufficient for most people
end_quote_rb.gif

Sleep expert Professor Jim Horne

If the link between a lack of sleep and death is truly causal, it would equate to over 6.3 million attributable deaths in the UK in people over 16 years of age.
Prof Cappuccio said more work was needed to understand exactly why sleep seemed to be so important for good health.
Professor Jim Horne, of the Loughborough Sleep Research Centre, said other factors may be involved rather than sleep per se.
"Sleep is just a litmus paper to physical and mental health. Sleep is affected by many diseases and conditions, including depression," he said.
And getting improved sleep may not make someone better or live longer, he said.
"But having less than five hours a night suggests something is probably not right.
"Five hours is insufficient for most people and being drowsy in the day increases your risk of having an accident if driving or operating dangerous machinery."

It a bbc news story.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would be interested in what the Life expectancy is for Doctors vs the General population.

I saw another wonderful piece on the news the other day, which basically says, if you study and go bed and dream, your chances of passing an exam the next day increases by a whopping 40percent. Some might asd why am i fascinated by all this sleep related stuff? lol i am a big time heavy sleeper, that is why i look for anything that supports my lifestyle :)

People, make sure you dream the night before your exam :)

I saw another wonderful piece on the news the other day, which basically says, if you study and go bed and dream, your chances of passing an exam the next day increases by a whopping 40percent. Some might asd why am i fascinated by all this sleep related stuff? lol i am a big time heavy sleeper, that is why i look for anything that supports my lifestyle :)

People, make sure you dream the night before your exam :)

I am bordering over clinical insomnia:p I envy those who hit slumberland as soon as they hit the sack!

I am bordering over clinical insomnia:p I envy those who hit slumberland as soon as they hit the sack!

Once i see a bed regardless of the time of day, i just start drifting into a wonderful dream. The two most important things in life are, a good sleep and sex, in whatever order :)

I agree you should get 6-7 hours a night...

However temporary sleep deficit will not cause early death...if you have to go on 4-5 hours of sleep a night for a few days to ace your exam, by all means do it. My best exams came on 1-2 hours sleep...

Overall though, I agree you should aim for 6-7.

This study has too many variables...were all test subjects on the exact same diet? Did they all have equal amounts of stress? Did they have identical health levels upon starting? Of course not to all of these things...so I'm skeptical a tad.

Sleep is obviously important but things such as diet/exercise level/stress will contribute to early death more heavily IMO

I would be interested in what the Life expectancy is for Doctors vs the General population.

"The American Medical Association's Center For Health Care Policy
published data on the life expectancies of U.S. medical graduate
physicians by specialty in 1988. [2] It showed that the life
expectancy of physicians is somewhere between 75 and 88, depending
upon the age and gender that one chooses"

http://www.ncahf.org/nl/1996/3-4.html

EDIT: keep in mind in 1988 we saw physicians working much worse hours, specifically in residency. This was before laws were implemented to cap shift length for residents...so one would think the life expectancy is perhaps higher today

"The American Medical Association's Center For Health Care Policy
published data on the life expectancies of U.S. medical graduate
physicians by specialty in 1988. [2] It showed that the life
expectancy of physicians is somewhere between 75 and 88, depending
upon the age and gender that one chooses"

http://www.ncahf.org/nl/1996/3-4.html

EDIT: keep in mind in 1988 we saw physicians working much worse hours, specifically in residency. This was before laws were implemented to cap shift length for residents...so one would think the life expectancy is perhaps higher today

So, basically it is the same or longer as the general population. It kinda make sense since regardless of the sleep hours, doctors tend to "know" more and may take better care of themselves. (Though there are a fair share of drs that smoke :scared:)