Less than 24 hours to decide Temple vs Tufts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackbible

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have less than 24 hours to respond to these scholarship offers so any advice is really appreciated

Temple
pros
- I will be constantly reminded of the reason I wanted to be a doctor in the first place and constantly be surrounded by the population/ rough community that inspired me to be a doctor in the first place
- offered a $50,000 scholarship in hopes to persuade me not to attend Tufts (temple have reached out to me constantly and made me felt that they would love me to be apart of their school more than any institution I have attended. In short I felt really wanted here. (but I guess that might change after I commit to them who knows.
-Cost of Living might be a little cheaper than in Boston
-Students on a whole seem happy and engage a lot with the community
-Students seem to have a good time outside of class
cons
- Pass/Fail curriculum will be started this upcoming school year but not sure if it will have internal rankings or not
-some of the students seem unhappy with the grading system, remembered a few students at your lunch on interview day say it can really be a hit to your confidence when you study so hard and not get honors.

Neither pro or con
-I am not use to philly so I cannot say if I will like it or not
-I feel like if I go to temple I will likely end up in a less competitive specialty not because of lack of training or resources. But because I feel Temple really walks the walk and talks the talk and I will be so constantly reminded of myself in the surrounding population I will be more motivated into going into something like primary care with a longer patient physician relationship and serve these communities.

Tufts
pros
-I was offered a $58,000 scholarship and will attend nearly tuition free (will only cost a few thousands)
-been to Boston a few times and absolutely love the city. I can actually remember myself saying back in undergrad that Boston would be a city I would want to live in. (but I don't think this is as big of a pro because I am a house rat and wont do much exploring anyway)
-Students seem the happiest here than any school I attended and they seem to really focus on student wellness
-I know this might not be a tangible reason but my gut is telling me that if I attend this school I will be more interested in going into more competitive specialties (but still hopefully work in underserved areas)
-More research opportunities and networking, (my biggest asset in undergrad was my personality which led me to gain the trust and respect of faculty and my peers. I think this attribute might be handy in a place like Boston)

Cons
- Housing is expensive and temple might work out just about the same when you factoring cost of living
-hate the cold and Boston is freezing
-I know this is superficial but I felt temple wanted me more but actually typing this out I think giving so much money tufts showed how much they wanted me there eve if they didn't verbally communicated it.

Members don't see this ad.

thank you for the votes guys, I would also appreciate any written responses to see why people voted how they did.

I think Tufts because the money is there, you love the city, and the students seemed happy according to what you said!!!

edit: you can't go wrong with either :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If it landed on Temple first and you flipped it again anyway, that means you want to go Tufts. I think it's a better choice anyway.

I am a first year at tufts, you can PM me if you would like to ask any last minute questions.

Not an expert on these schools but I have a close friend who is a full time researcher for tufts and he can't stop talking about how awesome it is.

Are there curricular aspects here that could pull you one way or another? Pre-clinical length, step study time, clinical requirements, amount of elective time, clinical timing, etc.

Last edited:
Are there curricular aspects here that could pull you one way or another? Pre-clinical length, step study time, clinical requirements, amount of elective time, clinical timing, etc.
from the outside looking in they all look similar to me. I have to admit I don't use curriculum as a big factor other than being pas/fail

The difference in Residence Director Score between Tufts and Temple is pretty significant (3.6 vs 2.9). I'm not sure this should be a deciding factor, because a lot of what goes into matching is personal performance and individual preferences, but it might mean something.

Where are you looking to match? If you wanted to match in Boston, Tufts would probably be the better choice (more well regarded in Boston, ease/low cost of away rotations, networking, research), where as Temple would make sense if you could see yourself in Philly longterm.

The difference in Residence Director Score between Tufts and Temple is pretty significant (3.6 vs 2.9). I'm not sure this should be a deciding factor, because a lot of what goes into matching is personal performance and individual preferences, but it might mean something.

Where are you looking to match? If you wanted to match in Boston, Tufts would probably be the better choice (more well regarded in Boston, ease/low cost of away rotations, networking, research), where as Temple would make sense if you could see yourself in Philly longterm.
I can only see myself living in NYC in the long term but I know that might be hard. I am also interested in ENT which is even harder