Less than 100 nonclinical hours, applying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txags19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all, wondering how bad of a hit my app would take if I applied with around 90 nonclinical hours. I've kept myself really busy - 15 hrs of research a week the last year and a half, averaging 17 credit hours a semester, worked part-time freshman and sophomore year (15 hours a week), in the university orchestra. I have about 200 hours of clinical volunteering that I'm still building even though U have applied (it's included on planned activities) and about 140 hours of shadowing as well. I've made it clear in secondary essays and in planned activities that I do plan on picking up where I left off last winter volunteering at the Food Bank. I was at 21 hours this last summer and really just had no time. Average MCAT, GPA, TX resident. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all, wondering how bad of a hit my app would take if I applied with around 90 nonclinical hours. I've kept myself really busy - 15 hrs of research a week the last year and a half, averaging 17 credit hours a semester, worked part-time freshman and sophomore year (15 hours a week), in the university orchestra. I have about 200 hours of clinical volunteering that I'm still building even though U have applied (it's included on planned activities) and about 140 hours of shadowing as well. I've made it clear in secondary essays and in planned activities that I do plan on picking up where I left off last winter volunteering at the Food Bank. I was at 21 hours this last summer and really just had no time. Average MCAT, GPA, TX resident. Thanks!
To be clear, I interpret what you've said to mean you applied with 21 completed NonClinical volunteering hours at the food bank, but project that you'll get in 69 more hours after December, for a predicted total of 90 hours by the end of the academic term? Is that what you meant?

How many completed hours do you have for shadowing and clinical volunteering (I'm assuming the totals you gave include projected hours)?

To be clear, I interpret what you've said to mean you applied with 21 completed NonClinical volunteering hours at the food bank, but project that you'll get in 69 more hours after December, for a predicted total of 90 hours by the end of the academic term? Is that what you meant?

How many completed hours do you have for shadowing and clinical volunteering (I'm assuming the totals you gave include projected hours)?

No, I'm applying with 90 hours completed! The totals I gave are the completed hours, I didn't include projected in this post

No, I'm applying with 90 hours completed! The totals I gave are the completed hours, I didn't include projected in this post
With 290 hours of total volunteering completed at the time of application (and more to come), I think you'll be fine.

You had way more shadowing than you needed. Research is top-heavy in involvement unless your stats are UTSW or Baylor-worthy.

Reactions: 1 users