less competitive OT programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D1989

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

First I wish you all luck- I never expected this process to be as stressful as I'm finding it to be and I know that I'm not the only one. I wish I had found this page months ago because it would have been incredibly helpful in deciding where I should apply.

Anyways, as I'm looking over all of you extremely qualified applicants, I feel inadequate and I'm realizing I'll probably have to go through this process all over again next year.

Which leads me to my question- what OT programs are in serious need of applicants? I know they exist in places that people are less familiar with, but where?

Also, if anyone is considering an OTA program in the meantime, where would you recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

You would have to contact the various accredited schools to find that out, I assume. However, a good start would be to look for schools in less desirable areas.... don't look in California, Washington state, New York City, etc. There are plenty of schools out there, you just need to find them. Also, I recommend applying to schools NOT associated with OTCAS. These schools are almost guaranteed to have less applicants. Best of luck.

Hi all!

First I wish you all luck- I never expected this process to be as stressful as I'm finding it to be and I know that I'm not the only one. I wish I had found this page months ago because it would have been incredibly helpful in deciding where I should apply.

Anyways, as I'm looking over all of you extremely qualified applicants, I feel inadequate and I'm realizing I'll probably have to go through this process all over again next year.

Which leads me to my question- what OT programs are in serious need of applicants? I know they exist in places that people are less familiar with, but where?

Also, if anyone is considering an OTA program in the meantime, where would you recommend?

I know how you feel. I am on my 3rd year applying. It becomes very disheartening to apply year after year. I just received another denial letter yesterday and I am sure the rest of the schools I applied to will follow that same suit. Next year would be my 4th year applying.... I don't know that I can go through this process for a 4th time. But I don't have the slightest clue as to what career path to take since all I have ever wanted to be was an OT. Good luck to you and let me know of other schools that are in need of applicants!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all!

I have yet to hear of a school that has a need for applicants. When I have come across schools that are not well known I discover that they have unique prereqs and requirements. I highly recommend contacting the schools to find out how many students they take and check if they have a pre-OT program that they are already guaranteed to take students from. I applied last year to a school I was 95% sure I would get into. I was devestated to get the rejection. This year I happened to contact them again and express my interest in reapplying. Only then did I learn from them that out of the 24 students they take and list that they take on their profile through the OTCAS, they really only take 5 outside candidates. 19 are pulled automatically form their undergrad pre-OT program. I felt frustrated to learn this because I wouldn't have spent the money last year to apply, nor would I have been as saddened to get the rejection had I known how few students they really take. Sometimes I am learning the rejection process is a bit more complicated than it looks.

But I second the stress involved in this. This is my 2nd year applying.

I agree, less desirable areas and the more expensive programs (not state schools) are easier to get into.

I have applied to 5 programs this year, 4 in Philadelphia and 1 in NJ (I have no choice w/ the area, I have a husband and a house and can't leave the area), and it's my 2nd year applying. It seems the first year is a learning processes on how it works and the 2nd or 3rd year is when you'll get in. Perseverance is key!

Reactions: 1 user
if you guys don't mind me asking..what are your stats to be constantly rejected? I have a low gpa and I worry that I'm taking all these prereqs and volunteering for no reason. I don't wanna apply for 5 years to get into school honestly. I just want a career already. I can't believe it's taking medical school applicant type stats to get into OT!!!

gymnast if you don't mind, can you tell me which school said they only take 5 outside applicants so I don't apply to them? Thank you

Last edited:
Hi all!

The problem with many ota schools is the waitlist. In Ca, it is not unheard of to wait 2 years on the list before starting the program.

if you guys don't mind me asking..what are your stats to be constantly rejected? I have a low gpa and I worry that I'm taking all these prereqs and volunteering for no reason. I don't wanna apply for 5 years to get into school honestly. I just want a career already. I can't believe it's taking medical school applicant type stats to get into OT!!!

gymnast if you don't mind, can you tell me which school said they only take 5 outside applicants so I don't apply to them? Thank you
My stats are:
Cumulative GPA: 3.0
Last 60 GPA: 3.8
Prereq.: 4.0
OT Hours Observed: 135
Other Volunteer Hours: Around 1000
GRE: 500 Q/ 490 Verbal 4.0 Analytical (I did not take a class if that is relevant, wish I could have!)
Recommendations: Former supervisor, A&P Professor and an OT.

It's difficult learning the right recipe for each school. I graduated in 2001 so I've been retaking prereqs to apply to schools that require classes be within the last 5, 7, 10 years. :) I've learned to keep jumping through hoops and accept that each school may want more of one thing or another. Just keep at it until your recipe finally works!

You could also apply to OTA programs! They are less competitive and usually cheaper. Also, I've volunteered in several hospitals and I couldn't tell the difference between the OTs and the OTAs because they did the exact same thing!

You could also apply to OTA programs! They are less competitive and usually cheaper. Also, I've volunteered in several hospitals and I couldn't tell the difference between the OTs and the OTAs because they did the exact same thing!

whre i live there's at least a 2-3 year waiting list. Might as well keep applying to ot schools.

Hey guys! don't give up! this is my second year applying and I finally got in!! My advice to 3.0 students is to get extra volunteering hours!! I got accepted with a 3.10 GPA, but have over 250 hours in OT!! Also I recommend applying to 10+ schools just to make sure you are getting in somewhere and to apply early!! And of course practice and do really well on the interview!! I did 11 which is crazy but hey I got into a school!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if your GPA is the problem, Samuel Merritt recommended taking more classes, preferably science ones if you are from a non science backround. They said they only care about your last 60 units and your prereqs for GPA. So if you have improved a lot in the last few years, and it is just your freshman year bringing you down, head to the local junior college for a bit. Other schools might do that as well. Usually it is stated somewhere on the website under FAQs.

Good luck to everyone.

Hi all!

Do you have your bachelors degree? If so I wouldn't apply for an OTA program. Go for the MOT even if it means applying 2 years in a row! Where are you from? I would recommend you apply to schools in your state if possible because it is much harder to get into a school out of state (even if you're qualified or even over qualified) than one in state. Schools try to determine the likelihood of you accepting admission, so if you're out of state they are more likely to be skeptical that you will attend. Also, apply EARLY! Can't stress this enough. If you have a lower GPA, study your butt off for the GRE and get killer letters of recommendation and an awesome personal statement. OT schools are looking for someone who is well-rounded, not just someone who has a 4.0.

Good luck!!:thumbup:

Do you have your bachelors degree? If so I wouldn't apply for an OTA program. Go for the MOT even if it means applying 2 years in a row! Where are you from? I would recommend you apply to schools in your state if possible because it is much harder to get into a school out of state (even if you're qualified or even over qualified) than one in state. Schools try to determine the likelihood of you accepting admission, so if you're out of state they are more likely to be skeptical that you will attend. Also, apply EARLY! Can't stress this enough. If you have a lower GPA, study your butt off for the GRE and get killer letters of recommendation and an awesome personal statement. OT schools are looking for someone who is well-rounded, not just someone who has a 4.0.

Good luck!!:thumbup:

Thanks!

Yes, I do have my bachelor's degree in Biology and Psychology... and I'm from Pennsylvania. I'm applying to Temple, Chatham, Howard, Midwestern IL, U of Toledo, and Philadelphia University. I have an interview with Chatham but the other schools haven't been in contact with me- as of yet at least.

I think you're right with the suggestion to apply early. I unfortunately applied in January to most of those schools, so we'll see. I do feel discouraged, but if I don't go into an OTA program, I'm not sure what I'll do with myself for a year before I apply again. It's stressful.:(

Toledo's class has been full since early Jan, just an FYI (I had to call them to find out, which prompted them to send me a letter - thanks guys). Good luck on the others! Be patient! A lot of schools' deadlines just passed.

Wow 11?!? Congrats on geting in! What kind of interview questions were you asked? Anything that stood out as unusual or difficult?

Thanks. I think my volunteering hours and great recommendation letters helped me got the interview and it helps to apply early. I was really comfortable during the phone interview. I was totally myself. The interview went really well. The interviewers said I answered all the questions right on the dot, just what they were looking for. So just be yourself during the interview. Also towards the end of the interview, I asked lots of questions about the school, to show that I am serious about the school and about OT. They ask basic questions like, why OT, what is OT, why I applied to their school (Nova), in a group program situation what role do you take, are you a leader or follower, what are your strengths and weaknesses, and some other situational questions. I had a really good feeling after the interview ended. I knew I was in! I wanted to stay in California which is where I am from, but I'm fine with southern Florida. It's very similar to Cali. Where are you applying to, are you looking to stay in Florida?

Wow 11?!? Congrats on geting in! What kind of interview questions were you asked? Anything that stood out as unusual or difficult?

check OT school rankings and choose the ones that are the most lowest ranked

check OT school rankings and choose the ones that are the most lowest ranked

This isn't always the case... the only real ranking of OT schools was done by the US News & Report in 2007 I believe, and if you read into their ranking system it's kinda BS. Yes, the ones at the top are pretty solid schools, but I think towards the middle and end the list is not very reputable. The schools not on the list are ones that chose not to respond; additionally the ranking was done right after the switch to a Master's was mandatory so I'm sure some newly accredited schools with great programs were omitted from the list.

Although in theory applying to those scho that are low ranked make sense I wouldn't recommend it. For example I'm only looking at schools located less than 3 hrs from NYC because I can't move. Touro and NYiT are in the "worst ranked" schools. But when you look at their prerequisites and/or price it is ridiculous compared to other schools. Like CUNY York is not very well ranked an their pass rate for the exam (NBCOT) is less than 50%. I'd rather not waste my
Money in a school like that if what I'm learning won't help me pass my OT exam.

You can search petersons.com and most OT masters programs have acceptance percentages listed. They seem to be updated yearly. I've been surprised at how many applicants certain top OT schools accept... however, it raised the question of whether the schools really aren't that selective, or if most applicants to the top schools are really well-qualified. Accepting 60% of the general applicant pool is much less selective than accepting 60% of the cream of the crop OT applicants.

Regarding Board pass rates... I actually wrote a post yesterday and then didn't post it, because it opens a whole can of worms. Someone said that they were avoiding a certain school because they were concerned by the low pass rate. This does beg the question... is the low pass rate a reflection of a low-quality program which isn't teaching what students need in order to be successful on the exam? Or, is it a reflection of the relatively low-quality students? I know that's not a very PC thing to say, but it could be the case. Once upon a time, I went to law school. I attended an "elite" liberal arts college for undergrad, but went to my state law school because it was much less expensive than the other private laws schools to which I was accepted, even taking into consideration merit scholarships I was offered elsewhere. The school accepted a little less than 50% of applicants - a high acceptance rate in the world of law schools. Many of my fellow students were, quite frankly, pretty stupid. But, the program was excellent, and the exams were more rigorous than those taken by my then-boyfriend at a top 10 law school.

Some low-ranked law schools accept 80% of applicants! But these programs are weeder-programs. They give students a second chance, but don't dumb down the material. They lose a lot of students who flunk out, and some of those who make it through can't pass the bar exam. Of course one can question whether it's ethical to accept students who in all likelihood will never go on to be lawyers. But, the way I see it, they're giving second chances to people who made mistakes in the past, or had difficult backgrounds and had to cobble together undergraduate degrees from several different unprestigious colleges. And, they kick out students who don't meet a minimum GPA, so it's not like they string them along, just taking their money.

Anyway, my point is, obviously, like applicants to any other program, not all OT applicants are the same. They do not all have the same abilities. Are some of these programs with low pass rates merely accepting lower quality students who, despite a strong program, cannot pass the exam? If a program is accredited, I would say yes. So, that means that if you are a motivated and intelligent person, you're likely to be one of the 50% who DO pass. Now, this might also mean that your fellow students are not of the same quality as those at schools with higher pass rates, and that might matter to you. But I don't know if a low pass rate for a given school would automatically scare me off and make me think I would be unable to pass the exam.

You can search petersons.com and most OT masters programs have acceptance percentages listed. They seem to be updated yearly. I've been surprised at how many applicants certain top OT schools accept... however, it raised the question of whether the schools really aren't that selective, or if most applicants to the top schools are really well-qualified. Accepting 60% of the general applicant pool is much less selective than accepting 60% of the cream of the crop OT applicants.

Regarding Board pass rates... I actually wrote a post yesterday and then didn't post it, because it opens a whole can of worms. Someone said that they were avoiding a certain school because they were concerned by the low pass rate. This does beg the question... is the low pass rate a reflection of a low-quality program which isn't teaching what students need in order to be successful on the exam? Or, is it a reflection of the relatively low-quality students? I know that's not a very PC thing to say, but it could be the case. Once upon a time, I went to law school. I attended an "elite" liberal arts college for undergrad, but went to my state law school because it was much less expensive than the other private laws schools to which I was accepted, even taking into consideration merit scholarships I was offered elsewhere. The school accepted a little less than 50% of applicants - a high acceptance rate in the world of law schools. Many of my fellow students were, quite frankly, pretty stupid. But, the program was excellent, and the exams were more rigorous than those taken by my then-boyfriend at a top 10 law school.

Some low-ranked law schools accept 80% of applicants! But these programs are weeder-programs. They give students a second chance, but don't dumb down the material. They lose a lot of students who flunk out, and some of those who make it through can't pass the bar exam. Of course one can question whether it's ethical to accept students who in all likelihood will never go on to be lawyers. But, the way I see it, they're giving second chances to people who made mistakes in the past, or had difficult backgrounds and had to cobble together undergraduate degrees from several different unprestigious colleges. And, they kick out students who don't meet a minimum GPA, so it's not like they string them along, just taking their money.

Anyway, my point is, obviously, like applicants to any other program, not all OT applicants are the same. They do not all have the same abilities. Are some of these programs with low pass rates merely accepting lower quality students who, despite a strong program, cannot pass the exam? If a program is accredited, I would say yes. So, that means that if you are a motivated and intelligent person, you're likely to be one of the 50% who DO pass. Now, this might also mean that your fellow students are not of the same quality as those at schools with higher pass rates, and that might matter to you. But I don't know if a low pass rate for a given school would automatically scare me off and make me think I would be unable to pass the exam.
You make a good point. In my case I'm not applying to that specific school because of the rate bit also because they require you to take the BS/MS path even if you already have a BS. Which I don't like because I'd be "wasting" 1.5 years for classes I have already taken. But I understand what you're saying about maybe a reflection of students rather than program.

I am a current OT student and will say this. Hang in there! I too was applying and applying and keep getting either waitlisting or flat out rejected.

It was very disheartening and discouraging. But keep at it. Most of the schools to which I applied did not require the GRE or GMAT. I should have taken it and expanded my options.

That said, make sure you are prepared on your end. The school I am attending is ok. I would consider it an "accelerated" program as it is only 3.5 semesters and then you go to fieldwork.

Also, it really doesn't matter where you attend OT school. OT school is not like med, law or MBA school. At the end of the day, you are taught how to take exams like the NBCOTE.

Thanks for throwing out that website - I had no idea such a resource existed! I'm not sure it's very current though, as the # of applications for most of the schools I just briefly researched seemed EXTREMELY low (less than 100 for big schools, 30 at one school on OTCAS - no way it's that low). Nonetheless, I'm sure this will be helpful to many!

It's definitely not updated, but it's still a great gauge of which schools receive more applicants and their respective acceptance rates. Thanks for the resource!

I have a question/dilemma for you guys. I graduated from McDaniel college (Westminster, MD) with a degree in exercise science. My cumulative GPA was a 2.746, my major GPA a 3.04 and pre-requisite GPA of 2.8. At McDaniel, I took a class called Jesus At The Movies. The professor, an a hole, thought I cheated in an essay I wrote and told the Honor Board, who later gave me an F in the class. I'll tell you now I did not cheat. It's not worth lying and I know i didn't plagarize. I've never been accused of it ever. So I have an F on my transcript from a class that has nothing to do with OT. Can I still get into OT school? My LOR's were great, I'll have around 100 hours of shadowing and am taking the GRE again in November and will be applied to all schools by thanksgiving. Thanks for the help guys!!

Graduate schools require graduate students to maintain a minimum 3.0GPA. If you can't maintain a B average in undergraduate school, why do you believe you'll do better in a much more intense and competitive learning environment?

I mean absolutely no offense to you and I'm not implying you cannot achieve your goals, but you have some things you need to figure out before you go any farther. Perhaps a post bachelor program can help you improve your GPA. Find what works for you and improve using that method.

Good luck and Godspeed.

Graduate schools require graduate students to maintain a minimum 3.0GPA. If you can't maintain a B average in undergraduate school, why do you believe you'll do better in a much more intense and competitive learning environment?

I mean absolutely no offense to you and I'm not implying you cannot achieve your goals, but you have some things you need to figure out before you go any farther. Perhaps a post bachelor program can help you improve your GPA. Find what works for you and improve using that method.

Good luck and Godspeed.

I know there are schools out there that require at least a 2.75. What's a post bachelor program?

An organized set of classes meant to improve GPA for a student who already holds a bachelors degree.

how would i go about joining one of those? sorry for the questions

You'd inquire about such programs with your current institution. They can best point you in the right direction.

You will still need to boost your cumulative GPA and need a high pre-req GPA or HIGH GRE score to off-set the cumulative GPA. If you simply had an F in the course with no other information listed I would not stress too much. I had several F's in my day and did fine getting in. However I was applying about 13 years after the F. In the end you can always apply, see where you land. There is no set recipe to get into OT school so no one can really give you a instructions on what works. Hang in there!

I know how you feel. I am on my 3rd year applying. It becomes very disheartening to apply year after year. I just received another denial letter yesterday and I am sure the rest of the schools I applied to will follow that same suit. Next year would be my 4th year applying.... I don't know that I can go through this process for a 4th time. But I don't have the slightest clue as to what career path to take since all I have ever wanted to be was an OT. Good luck to you and let me know of other schools that are in need of applicants!

WSUCoug2012- what are your stats? It is so hard to hear that you are on year 3 of applying. I am on year one and I am applying to several schools mainly on the west coast. Reading your quote has me freaked out. Did you ever get any feedback from schools as to what your weakness was? I am assuming you personal statement at this point must be stellar!

Considering lizzo76's opinion from a previous post, what is the best way to judge the quality of an OT program. I'm going to apply for this upcoming year 2014. BUT I don't know what to look for in a program. AND I find myself relying heavily on USNEWS rankings to decide what schools to apply to. HOWEVER I'm convinced that I need to look at other things as well (Of course I am considering obvious things like location, tuition, etc) but I'm more concerned about what to look for in a program itself. Anyone have suggestions? Thanks :)

Last edited:
I would say that you also need to look at the curriculum and the fieldworks. Curric: what classes will you take? Are there electives? Is it possible to get kicked out of the university for receiving certain grades (we had quite a few in our program drop due to low grades: 2 D's in one term meant you lost your place in the program). Fieldwork: How do you get placed in fieldwork (is it randomly assigned, do you have a choice in where you are able to attend). Are there certain requirements for fieldwork? If you are really interested in pediatrics, does the school have a pediatric fieldwork contract that you are likely to get? If they only have 1 contract and you have 5 students, that site can be put in a lotto and randomly assigned.