Lehigh Valley Hospital- DO program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

floweree

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ne1 know anything about it?

Members don't see this ad.

wOOt!!!!!111 LVH-COM is a bomb, all other schools are teh suxxors!!!!1111

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I actually know nothing about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
USCDiver said:
Sorry, I couldn't resist. I actually know nothing about it.
I've heard that hands down it's the best D.O. program. Look on scutwork.com and there is feedback on the program.

i just interviewed there and was very impressed. it's basically a 1-4 program taking 12 applicants and it has a lot of $$$$$$$$ to spend. it is the only DO residency i'm concidering. The internship year has a heavy EM faculty component. All but 1 of the facutly I met were fantastic and energetic, really down to earth folks with a great attitude toward teaching and having fun. A blending of both MD's and DO's.

Brand new facility at Muhlenburg although the ED is in the old portion. Nothing to critical at the ER there just standard community med stuff. All charting is done on tablet PC's which is nice. Year 1 there is a Rosen's club that meets and the tomes are bought for you. The residency also buys you a palm or tablet PC depending on the year. Another bonus is the night system where you work dedicated nights three times a year for a 2 week duration. Airway carts are standard through out all hospitals and based on the ED requirments.

From what I could tell housing is affordable and there are some nice areas to live in. If you enjoy the outdoors the area has a lot to offer. I don't get much of a city feel to the area so if that is your bag u might look else where.

The allentown campus is the level I and is where most of the trauma goes. They have a nice helicopter there and the hospital is going to be expanding this year (should take 2 years to complete) and the ED will add ~20+ beds or so I'm told.

Some concerns: in the ED they actually have an OR (tramuma bay 3) and all severe Level I patients bypass the ED going straight into the OR. I'm not sure but I got the impression that unless you are on a trauma rotation you don't do much (this could be a plus). Albert Einstein residents come up and do their trama rotations there. Anesthesia is called for every trauma alert and apparently there is some difficulty between the 2 departments as who gets the tube. Faculty down play this but some residents told me it is still a problem. Another down side is the lack of personal electives you are allowed, for a 1-4 program I would like to see more than 1 elective in PGY 4 year, but most of the things one would do as an elective are already scheduled. Finally research seems to be pretty wimpy here, but if you aren't interested in research this is a huge bonus. after your 2nd year you can moonlight as a H.O. for $1000 a shift (so the residents tell me) I don't know if there are EM/urgent care moonlighting opportunities. finally, it is a new program so there are always hurdles to overcome.

From what I understand, the chairman of the department although well respected no longer works clinically and is therefore more in an administrative role. I think that this is very concerning as I find it difficult that someone that does not work clinically can relate to those that work in the trenches.

Swaamedic, how was the interview? Was everyone pretty laid back?

yes everyone was very laid back, although they achieved in 4 hours of interviews what could have been done in 2. i enjoyed the interviews save for one individual attending, but they all can't be easy going i suppose.