Leftover-Resident-pool size growing or shrinking?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Erica Lewinski

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was told that: "For the 2004 NRMP match: 25,246 people applied for 23,704 positions. 5,855 people did not match. There were 1,896 spots that were unfilled before the scramble." That means a total of 3959 candidates were rejected by the system, last year alone. One thing I want to know is, whether this leftover-Resident-pool size growing or shrinking year over year? Clearly, if its growing, the oversupply of cheap-med laborers would keep on increasing in this country (USA), to such a proportion that, eventually it might just become an advance-blue-collar type of work (with red-hands to boot :)) and the forces of economics would then dictate that the pool size will start stabilizing, eventually decreasing and ultimately creating a shortage again. But, this may take a long time- assuming a 12-year-economic cycle, we are talking about approx. 2-and-half cycles here and in that time, i.e. about 30 years, I'll be looking at saying bye-bye to this Earth (phew!). So, my most urgent question to, any would-be-helpers is: What are these leftovers doing to get into a residency position this year? Any strategies adopted? Any info would be tremendously appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Residents who don't match initially and don't obtain a spot in the scramble, generally try again (or if its been several years without matching), give up and go on to another field.

While I don't have the numbers in front of me, I do not believe the applicant pool and those who don't match has changed significantly over the last few years. The match data is available on Scutwork.com or at NRMP and you can compare the last few years. One of the September issues of JAMA details all the match results each year.