LECOM- SH (PBL) vs LMU-DCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LECOM or LMU-DCOM?

• LMU

• LECOM

Results are only viewable after voting.

blah12346497

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had the fortunate opportunity to be accepted by both schools. I am not too worried about location, they are both about 8-10 hours away from my home town. If anyone can put in any input that would be great!!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at SH. I would go here only if that was my only acceptance and my only chance. PBL is fun, but only if you are very self disciplined and self organized. Greensburg is quite depressing, no good restaurants around, school is shared with undergraduates, so not many study spaces. Plus the biggest turn off for me is the absence of anatomy lab.

So yeah, I would choose LMU.

I'm a current student at LECOM-SH; if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I don't know what your pros and cons are, or how you feel about a PBL curriculum vs. more traditional, or anything about LMU for that matter, so I didn't vote.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had the fortunate opportunity to be accepted by both schools. I am not too worried about location, they are both about 8-10 hours away from my home town. If anyone can put in any input that would be great!!

What would be the difference in COA between the two for you? The biggest draw for LECOM is probably PBL and low cost. If you are okay with PBL, are you really comfortable with spending 60K or more for the same degree? Is LMU worth that premium in your mind?

Last edited:
I'm a current student at LECOM-SH; if you have specific questions, feel free to PM me.

I don't know what your pros and cons are, or how you feel about a PBL curriculum vs. more traditional, or anything about LMU for that matter, so I didn't vote.

Is LECOM-SH only for PBL and LECOM Eyrie only for class based or how does that work?

Is LECOM-SH only for PBL and LECOM Eyrie only for class based or how does that work?

LECOM-SH only has PBL.

LECOM-E has lecture (LDP) as well as PBL, plus a directed-study pathway (DSP) and a primary care scholars pathway (neither of which I know anything about).

LECOM-SH only has PBL.

LECOM-E has lecture (LDP) as well as PBL, plus a directed-study pathway (DSP) and a primary care scholars pathway (neither of which I know anything about).

Who is LDP better for and who is PBL better for?

LMU is in the middle of nowhere. I would have to go LECOM SH provided you think you can handle PBL

I am not concerned about living in the middle of nowhere, it would be a nice change of scenery as I grew up in the city. I felt a better vibe and my gut feeling says LMU-DCOM. However I am worried about the quality of rotations 3rd and 4th year. Can someone comment on the quality of rotations at LECOM SH?

I am a first year student here at LMUDCOM. PM me if u have any questions

If you think you'd do well with PBL, then I'd go with LECOM, if not, DCOM. Personally, being within 45 min of a decent sized city (Pittsburgh) is a plus and leads to lots of opportunities, both medically and otherwise. That said, in terms of long-term opportunities both will likely give you similar ones. I have no idea about DCOM's rotation sites, but I know LECOM has some very good ones and some mediocre ones (probably average for DO schools).

This analogy could also work : LMU-DCOM is more like South Korea, and LECOM-SH is more like North Korea.

Seriously? There's a pretty big distinction between between "dress code" and "totalitarian state." If dress codes and rules about food aren't your style, that's absolutely your prerogative. I won't argue with that. However, comparing it to ACTUAL human rights abuse is a bit ridiculous.

If you think you'd do well with PBL, then I'd go with LECOM, if not, DCOM. Personally, being within 45 min of a decent sized city (Pittsburgh) is a plus and leads to lots of opportunities, both medically and otherwise. That said, in terms of long-term opportunities both will likely give you similar ones. I have no idea about DCOM's rotation sites, but I know LECOM has some very good ones and some mediocre ones (probably average for DO schools).

OP, this is your answer. If PBL is for you, pick LECOM; if not, pick DCOM. LECOM is substantially cheaper, for what it's worth, but if DCOM is a better fit curriculum-wise and/or geographically, it's fine to decide it's worth the price difference.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was leaning towards LMU-DCOM since it has no mandatory attendance. However, LECOM is 1) significantly cheaper, 2) much closer to a major city 3) a good chunk of rotations are under established residencies. As long as you are okay with the PBL, which is not often, then LECOM is the better choice.

Reactions: 2 users
I am kind of leaning towards LECOM because of the structured clinical curriculum 3rd/4th year. I have heard from other students that LMU-DCOM rotation sites get dropped a couple of days before you are supposed to start leaving you to scramble :(

If LMU-DCOM had better quality rotations, this would be such an easy decision :\

1. LMU-DCOM is worth the money 2. Pittsburgh is not that big. 3. From what I have heard, LECOM does not pay rotations which often leads to unnecessary complications 4. From what I have heard, LECOM's administration does not care about its students 5. Tennessee is a much more pleasant place with much better weather and much lower cost of living. 6. PBL is questionable and seems far less structured than the lecture based curriculum 6. LECOM-SH does not have cadavers 7. Advising OP to choose LECOM-SH over LUCOM or any Caribbean school would have been reasonable. But I can't believe you are advising OP to choose LECOM-SH over LMU-DCOM.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about.

OP, decide on cost and location. The rest is going to be up to you

1. LMU-DCOM is worth the money 2. Pittsburgh is not that big. 3. From what I have heard, LECOM does not pay rotations which often leads to unnecessary complications 4. From what I have heard, LECOM's administration does not care about its students 5. Tennessee is a much more pleasant place with much better weather and much lower cost of living. 6. PBL is questionable and seems far less structured than the lecture based curriculum 6. LECOM-SH does not have cadavers 7. Advising OP to choose LECOM-SH over LUCOM or any Caribbean school would have been reasonable. But I can't believe you are advising OP to choose LECOM-SH over LMU-DCOM.

1. I suggest you ask students who have went on rotations or former graduates. They will tell you if they are getting their money's worth.
2. Pittsburg has a population of 300k and Knoxville is 100k and Seton is closer to Pittsburg. You want to do research or shadow doctors in hospitals? Your chances are better near a large city that is close by.
3. The majority of LMUs residencies are not under hospitals with residencies. That is a large problem.
4. You probably should ask LECOM students on here about that. However, they offer the important things.
5. It is a lower cost of living, but does this off set the cost of tuition? I am highly doubting this. However, the whether is good in Harrogate.
6. You will still be okay without them, as several students have mentioned.
7. I think you are being biased?

I have interviewed with LMU in the past the faculty are very kind people. I have no problem with living in a rural area since I grew up in one. However, I also have to look at the schools objectively and make sure which schools give the most opportunities. In the end it is persons choice, if you Delawarepremed decide on LMU or Lake Erie, I would congratulate you and hope you reach your dreams. I would do the same with anyone else.

Last edited:
I sincerely apologize about that analogy. In my mind, I intended to say that a very important advantage that LMU-DCOM has over LECOM-SH is that LMU-DCOM seems to have more resources (at least during the basic science years) as well as state of the art technology compared to LECOM-SH which seems to have fewer resources for its students during the basic science years. My intention was never to compare a totalitarian state to the dress code or the food and drink policy LECOM-SH. In fact, I agree with their dress code policy and the no-food or drink policy,. My intention was to highlight that students at LMU-DCOM seem to have access to state of the art technology during their basic science years compared to the students at LECOM-SH. Also, when I say the word "resources", one of the things I mean to say is that LMU-DCOM students have access to cadavers during anatomy lab while students at LECOM-SH don't have access to cadavers during anatomy lab. Also, in some other posts, I have defended LECOM because it adheres to the American standards in producing competent healthcare professionals. Also, if the choice was between LMU-DCOM and LECOM-Erie or LECOM-Bradenton, it would have been much trickier because the students at the other two LECOMs not only pay much a more reasonable tuition but also have access to cadavers during anatomy lab and better technology during their basic science years compared to the students at LECOM-SH. Again, I am sorry about that poorly worded analogy but my intention was not about comparing a totalitarian state to dress code policy but about access to technology and resources .

I understand. If you had told me the same points three years ago, my opinion would have been exactly the same. However, after really reading this site one begins to see the important things. The top things that that make for a good match are 1) board scores 2) strong rotations 3) strong letters of recommendation 4) research.

The first point you can do at any school. However, studying would be easier at LMU, since it doesn't have mandatory attendance. The second point you need, especially in core rotations. You need to be prepared to function as an intern and one can only do this with rotations done under residencies. This will help you be impress during audition rotations and this leads to point three, a good letter of recommendation. The fourth point research is not something you will get from the DO school directly, since research and funding is low. However, DO students make this up by going to hospitals or research institutions that are doing research (usually in a big city). You want to be in a place with a high concentration of hospitals, otherwise you will be waiting till summer or rotations (its even easier to get if you live in or near a big city). However, preceptor based rotations will not usually have attendings that are doing research.

The technology and cadaver labs are really icing on the cake. It is not important in the grand scheme of things. Try and read all the statements from 3rd and 4th year medical students and residents. You will see a pattern and most talk will be about 3rd and 4th year. I suggest you read osteopathic threads and residency threads, then you will know the important things.

Last edited:
Will LECOM-SH provide at least acceptable rotation sites to become a strong physician?

I understand. If you had told me the same points three years ago, my opinion would have been exactly the same. However, after really reading this site one begins to see the important things. The top things that that make for a good match are 1) board scores 2) strong rotations 3) strong letters of recommendation 4) research.

The first point you can do at any school. However, studying would be easier at LMU, since it doesn't have mandatory attendance. The second point you need, especially in core rotations. You need to be prepared to function as an intern and one can only do this with rotations done under residencies. This will help you be impress during audition rotations and this leads to point three, a good letter of recommendation. The fourth point research is not something you will get from the DO school directly, since research and funding is low. However, DO students make this up by going to hospitals or research institutions that are doing research (usually in a big city). You want to be in a place with a high concentration of hospitals, otherwise you will be waiting till summer or rotations (its even easier to get if you live in or near a big city). However, preceptor based rotations will not usually have attendings that are doing research.

The technology and cadaver labs is really icing on the cake. It is not important in the grand scheme of things. Try and read all the statements from 3rd and 4th year medical students and residents. You will see a pattern and most talk will be about 3rd and 4th year. I suggest you read osteopathic threads and residency threads, then you will know the important things.
Where do you find the information of hospitals that have rotations done under residencies?

Where do you find the information of hospitals that have rotations done under residencies?

You will need to look at the clinical affiliations on the school's website. Then try to see if those hospitals have a website that shows what residencies are housed in there. You can also check the AOA residency website: AOA approved residencies and internships. You can check whether those same clinical affiliations are where AOA rotations are. Just remember that osteopathic student can rotate under allopathic residencies also, since the site only shows AOA residencies.

EDIT: The schools like KCUMB will even tell you on their website what residencies are there with their clinical affiliations.

I am sincerely sorry. I intended to say that a very important advantage that LMU-DCOM has over LECOM-SH is that LMU-DCOM seems to have more resources (at least during the basic science years) as well as state of the art technology compared to LECOM-SH which seems to have fewer resources for its students during the basic science years. My intention was never to compare a totalitarian state to the dress code or the food and drink policy LECOM-SH. In fact, I agree with their dress code policy and the no-food or drink policy,. My intention was to highlight that the students at LMU-DCOM seem to have access to state of the art technology during their basic science years compared to the students at LECOM-SH. Also, when I say the word "resources", one of the things I mean to say is that LMU-DCOM students have access to cadavers during anatomy lab while students at LECOM-SH don't have access to cadavers during anatomy lab. Also, in some other threads, I have defended LECOM because it adheres to the American standards in producing competent healthcare professionals. Also, if the choice was between LMU-DCOM and LECOM-Erie or LECOM-Bradenton, I would have told OP to pick LECOM because of reasonable tuition and access to cadavers during anatomy lab (even PBL students). Again, I am sorry but my intention was about comparing the level of access to technology and resources.

We're cool. Thanks!

I noticed that LECOM has its matched percentages on its website. Only 0-5 people were unmatched in both SH and Eerie's campus! This is relieving. Can anyone comment on the percentage of LMU-DCOM's students that go un matched? I am really looking for worst case scenarios. This is a such a hard decision to make! Can anyone provide further input?

I am also a bit worried about the ACGME/AOA merger occurring in the nearby future =\ #stressed