LECOM Post-Bacc 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any1 know the housing situation in Erie? Do apartments fill up quickly?
Browse through last years thread, and the medical class thread. From what I gather, there's an apartment complex across from LECOM (walking distance) that is in high demand. But there's also apartments nearby. There's no on campus housing.

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying to this program in the coming week or two.

AACOMAS:

Non-trad, 27 years old
sGPA: 3.3
cGpa: 3.0
MCAT: 26
*tons or retakes in UG courses

Does anybody know if this program approved for federal loans? Usually programs that do not award a terminal degree are not, but they may get around it by listing it as the first year in a potentially a "2 year" graduate program. This would be deal breaker for me, since I strongly believe private student loans infinitely worse options.

Members don't see this ad :)
My application status just changed and it said they have made a decision and mailed it! Hopefully it's good news!

Reactions: 1 user
" The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days. "

I was complete on 1/14. Wish all the best for all of you !

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
" The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days. "

I was complete on 1/14. Wish all the best for all of you !

I think decisions this early are good signs! I know someone that applied very early last year and didn't get rejected until a week before classes started.

Good luck everyone!

ps. I come from a Kobe loving home and am really sad to even think of watching the NBA without him. Even with me being a Celtics fan ;P

I think decisions this early are good signs! I know someone that applied very early last year and didn't get rejected until a week before classes started.

Good luck everyone!

ps. I come from a Kobe loving home and am really sad to even think of watching the NBA without him. Even with me being a Celtics fan ;P
I wholeheartedly love this post.

maybe that means you only get a rejection towards the end. anything early is a good sign?
I certainly would hope so. It would be a little disheartening to feel that my application was so poor that it merited an instarejection.

I am applying to this program in the coming week or two.

AACOMAS:

Non-trad, 27 years old
sGPA: 3.3
cGpa: 3.0
MCAT: 26
*tons or retakes in UG courses

Does anybody know if this program approved for federal loans? Usually programs that do not award a terminal degree are not, but they may get around it by listing it as the first year in a potentially a "2 year" graduate program. This would be deal breaker for me, since I strongly believe private student loans infinitely worse options.

Ive been through their website a few times and it does not say anywhere that post bacc students are ineligible for financial aid. It says that eligible graduate students are eligible to borrow $20,500 per year. That pays for most of their Cost of Education the rest can be paid using the Federal Plus Loan program. I am going to attempt to find an email to clarify this as private loans are out of the question for me due to poor credit and lack of a cosigner.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been through their website a few times and it does not say anywhere that post bacc students are ineligible for financial aid. It says that eligible graduate students are eligible to borrow $20,500 per year. That pays for most of their Cost of Education the rest can be paid using the Federal Plus Loan program. I am going to attempt to find an email to clarify this as private loans are out of the question for me due to poor credit and lack of a cosigner.
I would email Jamie Murphy since he helps run post-bacc. I am pretty sure that my brother got financial aid but it wont hurt to check. Also I believe after you are accepted they send out information packets about things like that.

Hey guys applying to this program this week! I'm a little worried about my DAT score. (I'm on the dental track). I'm two points lower then what they recommend on their website. Has anybody got accepted with a lower MACT/DAT score then what they posted??

So does anyone have any advice, info about living in Erie, being in the post bacc, doing well in the program....?

Focusing on the lectures slides = doing well in the program.

Apartments across and next to campus (laurel springs/laurel ridge) is a plus if you don't have a car.
http://www.pastorebuilders.com/community/laurel-springs-apartments

Make sure to google map the place and if you can, visit the place/talk to the landlord in person. Also check out the crime reports around the area you plan to live in; trulia.com is a good site to use.

These are good site to look at
http://www.aptassoc.com/for-rent/
http://www.managedbygmc.com/property_type/apartments/
http://www.renewedrentals.com/

last resort = craigslist.

public service announcement: AVOID Granada Apartments. Don't even think about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone been accepted with their SAT scores? I am planning on taking my MCAT in April, but want to apply now. Should I wait for my MCAT?

Has anyone been accepted with their SAT scores? I am planning on taking my MCAT in April, but want to apply now. Should I wait for my MCAT?

Hmm, if you take it in april, then your score won't be released until May and that is getting pretty late into the application cycle. If you have a decent GPA and SAT score, I would say just go ahead and apply. If you feel that your MCAT will be killer, then I would wait.

Hey guys! I have really low stats- with retakes I have approximately a 2.8 cum gpa/ 2.5sci but a 512 MCAT. What are my chances at this program?

You'll never know unless you apply, right? haha. If accepted, you'll be pleasantly surprised. Also, applicants must "Earn a cumulative grade point average of 2.7 or higher on a four-point scale" so there's that.

Hey guys! I have really low stats- with retakes I have approximately a 2.8 cum gpa/ 2.5sci but a 512 MCAT. What are my chances at this program?

Honestly I think you're the perfect candidate for a post-bac. You should definitely apply.

Got accepted today with a 3.0 GPA and 27 MCAT after applying to the DO program and being referred to the postbacc

Accepted! See all of u in the fall. Willing to room with Kobe fans only.

I would email Jamie Murphy since he helps run post-bacc. I am pretty sure that my brother got financial aid but it wont hurt to check. Also I believe after you are accepted they send out information packets about things like that.

I talked to the head of financial aid and she said that post bacc students are eliglible for federal loans including Graduate Plus loans.

I was wondering if anyone has been accepted using their SAT scores and how they go about that? I couldnt even tell you how to get to my SAT scores at this point. I wont be taking my MCAT until this summer.

Thanks for answering my questions and giving me the advice.

Just one more question, if i submit my entire application by may 14th except the letter of rec from a science professor (the professor says he will have it ready by august 1st....) do you think i will be okay? I will have LORs from a DO and professors in my sociology major. I just wont have the science letter ready until august.

Do you recommend i contact admissions about this?

Hi Everyone,
I'm currently in the Post Bacc program here at LECOM. If you guys have any questions, feel free to PM me or tag me on here and I'll do my best to get back to you as soon as possible!
Best of luck to those who are applying! I relied heavily on this site last year, which really helped me through the entire process of applying. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for answering my questions and giving me the advice.

Just one more question, if i submit my entire application by may 14th except the letter of rec from a science professor (the professor says he will have it ready by august 1st....) do you think i will be okay? I will have LORs from a DO and professors in my sociology major. I just wont have the science letter ready until august.

Do you recommend i contact admissions about this?

The application states they want "1 science letter." I only submitted this 1 letter, and I made sure everything else was ready to go before I submitted.
I would get on that science letter ASAP. Please pester your science professor because you are putting yourself at a slight disadvantage by waiting until august to complete your application. This program uses rolling admissions so the earlier you apply, the better. Nevertheless, I would contact admissions because maybe they will look at your application with just those letters.

If you need any help with your statement or whatever, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!

What is a competitive AIS? Anyone else doing this? I am using my AIS score until I can send in my MCAT in early May.
Also wondering about this…does anyone have any information on AIS scores?

Hello all. I'm currently in the program so if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me. I'm studying for anatomy at the moment, but I find myself lurking on this forum haha

Hello all. I'm currently in the program so if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask me. I'm studying for anatomy at the moment, but I find myself lurking on this forum haha
How tough is program? Do majority of students you think end up matriculating into LECOM's next DO class?

The application states they want "1 science letter." I only submitted this 1 letter, and I made sure everything else was ready to go before I submitted.
I would get on that science letter ASAP. Please pester your science professor because you are putting yourself at a slight disadvantage by waiting until august to complete your application. This program uses rolling admissions so the earlier you apply, the better. Nevertheless, I would contact admissions because maybe they will look at your application with just those letters.

If you need any help with your statement or whatever, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck!
Thanks for the answer. So the professor cannot write me a letter earlier, because he will be going for a 4 month long trip in europe or something. I have no other proper relationships with science professors. I was wondering if it is possible to substitute the science letter with a committee letter? The committee letter will be prepared by end of May.

How tough is program? Do majority of students you think end up matriculating into LECOM's next DO class?

In my opinion, the program is very tough. I spend most of my time studying the material. The only time I didn't have to study was after an exam. Even though it's hard, it's very doable given that you put the effort and time into doing well.

In terms of the second question, I can't say for sure for my class because we just had our interviews this week. I know that we had 150 students in the beginning, but now we have about 120. Like previous posters said though, as long as you get over a 3.0, meet the MCAT/AIS, and have a good interview, there will be a spot for you.

Can anyone inform me on what a competitive AIS score is? I dont take the mcat until April and I think LECOM calculated my AIS score in the meantime. Does that mean i could have a decision before i even take the MCAT?

Hey guys my application changed to "Your application is under review." but my LOR hasn't been sent in yet (won't be until next week) & I also mentioned to Jaime that I plan on retaking the DAT in April.

I really hope I don't rejected because of this :(:(

Hey guys my application changed to "Your application is under review." but my LOR hasn't been sent in yet (won't be until next week) & I also mentioned to Jaime that I plan on retaking the DAT in April.

I really hope I don't rejected because of this :(:(

Im in the same boat.

Hey, you guys seem really cool and I was hoping for some advice regarding my situation.

sGPA/cGPA, around 3.3
mcat, 498

My ECs: clinical research: about 800 hours

volunteering at a church: about 200 hours

ophthalmology tech: about 1,100 hours

shadowing: about 150 hours

Some of the hours seem long because this summer would be 2 years since I graduated. Although I'm not a URM, I was told that I have interesting story. I also did shadow a DO and got a DO letter.

Do you think this program is for me? I put my applications in for DO schools, but so far only silence. I don't wanna risk a 3rd gap year and the possibility of not getting in.
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. :)

Hey, you guys seem really cool and I was hoping for some advice regarding my situation.

sGPA/cGPA, around 3.3
mcat, 498

Some of the hours seem long because this summer would be 2 years since I graduated. Although I'm not a URM, I was told that I have interesting story. I also did shadow a DO and got a DO letter.

Do you think this program is for me? I put my applications in for DO schools, but so far only silence. I don't wanna risk a 3rd gap year and the possibility of not getting in.

I definitely think this program is for you. Apply for sure.
You have a great chance of getting in I think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sGPA/cGPA, around 3.3
mcat, 498

You would so get in!!! I think with that EC you will geti into a D.O no post bacc needed! But why do it if you dont need to

Hey guys. 3.33 science GPA, 3.38 cumulative GPA, and 500 MCAT here. Two questions. First would i be a competitive applicant for this program? And second, I just submitted my secondary to the medical school and it has been under review for five days. Should I wait to see if I get an interview or go ahead and apply to the post bacc while I wait?

Would applying now hurt my chances of an interview at the medical school do you think?

How long did it take you guys to receive the username and password after you sent in the inquiry?

Once complete, how long did it take you get a decision?

Just submitted my application today! Already mailed in LOR and requested transcripts last week so hopefully my application becomes complete soon!
3.52 gpa, 28 mcat, 1.5 yr pre-clinical research, shadowing, clinic volunteer, hospital volunteer, radiology internship, etc.

Once complete, how long did it take you get a decision?
I applied mid March (2015), or earlier - took April 2015 MCAT, got scores June 16th and submitted them then. App was complete June 16th, I think I was accepted by June 21st. Took a few days to get the letter though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I applied mid March (2015), or earlier - took April 2015 MCAT, got scores June 16th and submitted them then. App was complete June 16th, I think I was accepted by June 21st. Took a few days to get the letter though.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
How did you score on MCAT? Are you in program now?