LECOM Post-bacc 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all. So is it true get a 3.0 in the program, 40 percent meat, good interview and no failures and guarantee admission to lecoms do program??

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all. So is it true get a 3.0 in the program, 40 percent meat, good interview and no failures and guarantee admission to lecoms do program??

They stressed this pretty hard during our orientation, there is NO GUARANTEED admission regardless of all those factors.

That being said, historically, if you do well enough to earn an interview (3.0 GPA or higher without failing any classes) and don't completely screw up said interview, you have an excellent shot at getting in.

Hey everyone I have a few questions about the program if someone can answer them. Is this program one year? Also is it in PA? How many credits do you take and does it end in a certificate or a masters?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone I have a few questions about the program if someone can answer them. Is this program one year? Also is it in PA? How many credits do you take and does it end in a certificate or a masters?

It starts in early September and ends mid April. Yes, the postbacc is only held in the Erie, PA campus. I think 15 credits for each semester (someone correct me if I am wrong). I think you do get a certificate of completion. LECOM does have a masters program, but that is a 2 year program and it is geared more towards research. There's also no agreement with the DO, Dental, or Pharmacy programs.

It starts in early September and ends mid April. Yes, the postbacc is only held in the Erie, PA campus. I think 15 credits for each semester (someone correct me if I am wrong). I think you do get a certificate of completion. LECOM does have a masters program, but that is a 2 year program and it is geared more towards research. There's also no agreement with the DO, Dental, or Pharmacy programs.

Yeah, it's 15 hrs a semester.

As an aside, if you complete the post-bac and don't get into the DO program they will count the post-bac year as the first year of the masters program so you can finsh the MS program the next year, which, yes, is almost entirely research. You can reapply to the DO program if you want (Trust me, after two years at LECOM it will be your LAST choice), but like you said, there's no agreement between the master's and any other program, but it's a nice alternative to a gap year. Not to mention that the post-bac year cost like 13K vs 30K for the first year of the master's program, so if you end up doing it you'll end up saving some dough.

Reactions: 1 user
@reaperx58 @FortheWIN_DO Thanks for the responses guys. Do you have a list of the classes you take during the post bacc I can't seem to really find it on website

@reaperx58 @FortheWIN_DO Thanks for the responses guys. Do you have a list of the classes you take during the post bacc I can't seem to really find it on website

1st sem: Physiology, Biochem, Cell Bio, Histology, Critical Thinking, Genetics, Microbio
2nd: Pathology, Pharmacology, Immunology and Virology, Biochem, Anatomy, Intro to clinical med

If you get a >3.0 after the fall and spring semesters. > the required mcat, and no failures and good interview. What is the chance of matriculating into the DO program at lecom...?

If you get a >3.0 after the fall and spring semesters. > the required mcat, and no failures and good interview. What is the chance of matriculating into the DO program at lecom...?

100% given that you don't get into any legal troubles

Hey all, I opened a new thread for the 2016 LECOM post bacc. Feel free to use that for discussions regarding this cycle. To those of you that are already in the program right now, it would be great help if you guys can provide tips and guidance. Thanks!!

Hi All,

I applied to this program a few months ago (super early) but apps won't be looked at until the beginning of the year (2015). I was rejected by LMUCOM's one year masters program. I was however accepted to Mississippi College's special masters program. I think it will be a good program because most of their classes are 4 credit hours or more; they will definitely allow me to prove myself.

For those of you who are curious, students who will be using the new MCAT for the guaranteed admissions into LECOM, your score must be at least in the 40th percentile overall. If you will be using the current MCAT, a 23 is required. Info from Mr. Murphy.

Good luck to everyone, I hope we can all be classmates next year, knock on wood.
When applying for post-bacc program, do they take into consideration grade replacement?

When applying for post-bacc program, do they take into consideration grade replacement?
I believe they take your GPA as is from your transcripts. Grade replacement is only done through AACOMAS.

But I wouldn't worry, I had a sub 3.0 sGPA and was admitted (but a higher MCAT)

I applied to LECOM's DO Program before I applied to the MS so they just used my GPA from my AACOMAS application. Otherwise they use overall GPA from transcripts. Not sure if they calculate sGPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to LECOM's DO Program before I applied to the MS so they just used my GPA from my AACOMAS application. Otherwise they use overall GPA from transcripts. Not sure if they calculate sGPA.
I am planning to apply to the program after I get my MCAT scores so prob late April, early May. Is that too late for the program? Also, I am applying to medical schools via AACOMAS. Is it not a problem to apply to their DO school at the same time as applying to their post-bacc? Much appreciated!

I am trying to find an email in order to contact the people there and ask them more questions about the program. Do you happen to know an email that can help me?

Last edited:
I am planning to apply to the program after I get my MCAT scores so prob late April, early May. Is that too late for the program? Also, I am applying to medical schools via AACOMAS. Is it not a problem to apply to their DO school at the same time as applying to their post-bacc? Much appreciated!

I am trying to find an email in order to contact the people there and ask them more questions about the program. Do you happen to know an email that can help me?

Mr. Murphy is the person to email. I'm sure you can find him in the school directory or in this thread. May is not too late and you can apply to both at the same time.
This is a really good program. I would of went here if I had gotten in.

Mr. Murphy is the person to email. I'm sure you can find him in the school directory or in this thread. May is not too late and you can apply to both at the same time.
This is a really good program. I would of went here if I had gotten in.
You didn't get in? What were ur stats? Where did you end up going? Sorry for the bombardment of questions.

You didn't get in? What were ur stats? Where did you end up going? Sorry for the bombardment of questions.
I got in at Liberty University, Mississippi College, and USF-COM. All MS programs. I'm at USF. Stats were 3.01sci and 3.1 cGPA with 22 MCAT. I finished my first semester last week.

Hey guys I had a few questions about this program. So I'm currently a senior at Penn State University. I wanted to know how hard to get into the post bacc program itself.
I currently have a 2.85 GPA (cumulative) And my science GPA is around a 2.93. I haven't taken the MCAT'S yet. My plan was to get into this linkage program and I was wondering what my chances are. I have had a few research positions and I've shadowed A podiatrist for a few hours about 50 hours.

I know I need an MCAT score which I plan to take after I graduate and done with undergrad. I plan on building my resume during the two years I'm there or if I have to take a gap year.

Realistically- I'll graduate with at least a 3.0 cumulative or even a 3.1 and Penn State is a pretty reputable school. I know if I get into their 2 year linkage program, I'll work my tail off and make sure I maintain over a 3.0 and possibly take the MCAT's again. Thanks for your help. Don't rip me apart, I've recently figured out how to study for these classes and I've most of my pre-reqs finished. I just need to take the second Ochem, physics and retake the second gen chem!

Hey guys I had a few questions about this program. So I'm currently a senior at Penn State University. I wanted to know how hard to get into the post bacc program itself.
I currently have a 2.85 GPA (cumulative) And my science GPA is around a 2.93. I haven't taken the MCAT'S yet. My plan was to get into this linkage program and I was wondering what my chances are. I have had a few research positions and I've shadowed A podiatrist for a few hours about 50 hours.

I know I need an MCAT score which I plan to take after I graduate and done with undergrad. I plan on building my resume during the two years I'm there or if I have to take a gap year.

Realistically- I'll graduate with at least a 3.0 cumulative or even a 3.1 and Penn State is a pretty reputable school. I know if I get into their 2 year linkage program, I'll work my tail off and make sure I maintain over a 3.0 and possibly take the MCAT's again. Thanks for your help. Don't rip me apart, I've recently figured out how to study for these classes and I've most of my pre-reqs finished. I just need to take the second Ochem, physics and retake the second gen chem!
It's a one year program. I am applying with a 3.0 sGPA / 3.2 cGPA. MCAT TBD, taking 1st of April. Lot's of EC's and 5 LOR's. Anyways that's where I am at, hoping to get in for Fall 2016 as back up, if I do not get accepted anywhere upcoming cycle.

Oh thanks, damn I didn't even realize it's a 1 year program. Is this the program where if you maintain a 3.0 and an MCAT score of 40th percentile, you're guaranteed an interview? I know they have a certificate program that doesn't really amount to a lot of things so just making sure.

Also what do you think my chances are? If I do really well, I was looking into applying to podiatry schools but if I get into their DO program, I would continue on with that.

Oh thanks, damn I didn't even realize it's a 1 year program. Is this the program where if you maintain a 3.0 and an MCAT score of 40th percentile, you're guaranteed an interview? I know they have a certificate program that doesn't really amount to a lot of things so just making sure.

Also what do you think my chances are? If I do really well, I was looking into applying to podiatry schools but if I get into their DO program, I would continue on with that.

I'm currently in the post-bacc program and really satisfied with my decision to attend. You can do the two-year masters program, but most students (including myself) do the one-year certificate program with the goal of getting into the DO program the following year. If you get a 3.0 GPA and MCAT score in the 40th percentile or higher, you'll be guaranteed an interview at the beginning of the second semester. If your interview goes reasonably well, you'll most likely be accepted into the med school. It's definitely a lot more challenging than undergrad courses (due to volume of material more than difficulty), but if you're willing to put in the work and are happy with attending LECOM, it's a pretty direct path to success.

As far as competitive applicant stats, someone posted here previously saying they were told averages were 3.0-3.2 cGPA and ~25 MCAT score for post-bacc admissions. This seems to be pretty accurate based on what I've heard from classmates. My cGPA fell within this range, but my MCAT and sGPA were slightly slower. However, I made mostly A's in the last 1.5 years of coursework (a combination of repeats and new upper level science courses) and had a lot of medical and non-medical EC's throughout undergrad. So I do feel that they look at applicants holistically and are willing to consider a lower GPA if you show that you've improved and can now handle a rigorous science based-curriculum. I think a demonstrated commitment to medicine and helping others is also really important. So if your GPA is around a 3.0 when you apply but you've adequately shown both of these things, I think you'll be good to go. And I personally wouldn't suggest doing podiatry unless it's what you really want to do and not just a faster alternative. I know multiple people that went into podiatry for that reason, became disillusioned with the field very quickly, and either failed out or hate what they're doing now. On the other hand, I can see it being an awesome and fulfilling career for those who are truly passionate about it. Regardless of what you decide, best of luck to you!

I'm currently in the post-bacc program and really satisfied with my decision to attend. You can do the two-year masters program, but most students (including myself) do the one-year certificate program with the goal of getting into the DO program the following year. If you get a 3.0 GPA and MCAT score in the 40th percentile or higher, you'll be guaranteed an interview at the beginning of the second semester. If your interview goes reasonably well, you'll most likely be accepted into the med school. It's definitely a lot more challenging than undergrad courses (due to volume of material more than difficulty), but if you're willing to put in the work and are happy with attending LECOM, it's a pretty direct path to success.

As far as competitive applicant stats, someone posted here previously saying they were told averages were 3.0-3.2 cGPA and ~25 MCAT score for post-bacc admissions. This seems to be pretty accurate based on what I've heard from classmates. My cGPA fell within this range, but my MCAT and sGPA were slightly slower. However, I made mostly A's in the last 1.5 years of coursework (a combination of repeats and new upper level science courses) and had a lot of medical and non-medical EC's throughout undergrad. So I do feel that they look at applicants holistically and are willing to consider a lower GPA if you show that you've improved and can now handle a rigorous science based-curriculum. I think a demonstrated commitment to medicine and helping others is also really important. So if your GPA is around a 3.0 when you apply but you've adequately shown both of these things, I think you'll be good to go. And I personally wouldn't suggest doing podiatry unless it's what you really want to do and not just a faster alternative. I know multiple people that went into podiatry for that reason, became disillusioned with the field very quickly, and either failed out or hate what they're doing now. On the other hand, I can see it being an awesome and fulfilling career for those who are truly passionate about it. Regardless of what you decide, best of luck to you!
Thanks for feedback. On a slightly different note, how long did it take for your inquiry to be processed and get ur username/password in order to continue with the application for the post-bacc program? I was told they were going to email it to me.

Thanks for feedback. On a slightly different note, how long did it take for your inquiry to be processed and get ur username/password in order to continue with the application for the post-bacc program? I was told they were going to email it to me.

No problem! And I don't remember exactly, but less than a week - I'd guess 4 or 5 days

Thoughts on Erie as a city?

It seems like this usually depends on where you are from. The people I know who came here from big cities seem less fond of it than those who came from rural areas, haha. It is kind of quaint. But I personally can't think of anything I would want to do that I can't in Erie. Being near the lake is a lot of fun during the warmer months, and Erie isn't that far from bigger places like Buffalo and Cleveland, if you ever have the time and desire to take a weekend trip or something. The harsh winters are probably the biggest downfall of the area to most people, but everyone seems to adjust and deal with it okay. So overall, I really don't mind it.

I'm also a current post-bacc student and am very happy with my decision to attend this program. It is challenging but definitely do-able. If anyone has any questions or concerns about the program feel free to ask me!

I'm also a current post-bacc student and am very happy with my decision to attend this program. It is challenging but definitely do-able. If anyone has any questions or concerns about the program feel free to ask me!
Challenging in what regards? My biggest fear is entering program and not hitting that 3.0 mark. What stats got you in? When did you apply (with LOR's)?

Challenging in what regards? My biggest fear is entering program and not hitting that 3.0 mark. What stats got you in? When did you apply (with LOR's)?
During orientation they told us to regard this program as a full time job and if you do you will be successful. I couldn't agree more with this statement. I think that if you commit yourself to doing well in this program it is 100% do-able. A lot of people don't take it seriously and don't get the grades that they want. I don't think you will have to worry about hitting the 3.0 mark if you are committed to working hard. They do not try to trick you, they give you all of the information that you need. I was a high MCAT/ lower GPA candidate and my application was complete mid-March and I heard back early May. I would definitely recommend applying early! Hope this helps!

During orientation they told us to regard this program as a full time job and if you do you will be successful. I couldn't agree more with this statement. I think that if you commit yourself to doing well in this program it is 100% do-able. A lot of people don't take it seriously and don't get the grades that they want. I don't think you will have to worry about hitting the 3.0 mark if you are committed to working hard. They do not try to trick you, they give you all of the information that you need. I was a high MCAT/ lower GPA candidate and my application was complete mid-March and I heard back early May. I would definitely recommend applying early! Hope this helps!
App complete for LECOM post-bacc program? I won't get my MCAT score until May. I'll have to email that in. I hope to have everything else done though. The app itself seems quite easy to complete though.

I didn't submit my application until literally a month before the program started and was admitted @adrian710

Reactions: 1 users
Stats? Are you program now? How is it?
3.2, 502. And no, I decided against it for an in-state master's program. I didn't want to be tied down to just LECOM, and definitely did not want to uproot my life with such short notice.

3.2, 502. And no, I decided against it for an in-state master's program. I didn't want to be tied down to just LECOM, and definitely did not want to uproot my life with such short notice.
So are you doing 2 year program and then re-applying to schools?

When did you commit to the LECOM PB? Like when do you have to decide to keep ur seat?

When did you commit to the LECOM PB? Like when do you have to decide to keep ur seat?
I decided within a couple of weeks of my acceptance. I am not sure when you have to decide by, I would ask administration about that.

I decided within a couple of weeks of my acceptance. I am not sure when you have to decide by, I would ask administration about that.
Did you apply to AACOMAS this cycle so while you were doing the LECOM PB bc if I get into the post-bacc and go through with it, I would still plan on applying this cycle. I am curious as to how difficult it would be flying out to some interviews or writing secondaries all while we are taking classes.

Can any of you guys shed light on the program? Thinking of applying. I have a 3.2 cGPA. MCAT in April.

Hey everyone,

I am from PA and went to undergrad close to Erie so LECOM is one of the schools at the top of my list to attend.
I am currently debating if I should apply for the post bacc program this upcoming cycle.
I had a ~2.75 I undergad. I will be graduating from a MS Bio program at the end of this semester I currently have a 3.54 in that and hope to pull it up to a 3.6-3.7 with my grades this semester.
I have not taken the MCAT yet and plan to take it in June.
My plan was to take retakes all next year to pull up my undergrad GPA and then apply in the following cycle. I am also working at a hospital as a patient care tech.
Another factor limiting me from applying to LECOM post bacc is that I am not in the best financial situation and a year of working at the hospital would put me in a much better situation. I also have not taken OChem 2 and Biochem will these limit my chances of being accepted to the program and will they want an MCAT score prior to me applying?
Any info will be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Hey everyone,

I am from PA and went to undergrad close to Erie so LECOM is one of the schools at the top of my list to attend.
I am currently debating if I should apply for the post bacc program this upcoming cycle.
I had a ~2.75 I undergad. I will be graduating from a MS Bio program at the end of this semester I currently have a 3.54 in that and hope to pull it up to a 3.6-3.7 with my grades this semester.
I have not taken the MCAT yet and plan to take it in June.
My plan was to take retakes all next year to pull up my undergrad GPA and then apply in the following cycle. I am also working at a hospital as a patient care tech.
Another factor limiting me from applying to LECOM post bacc is that I am not in the best financial situation and a year of working at the hospital would put me in a much better situation. I also have not taken OChem 2 and Biochem will these limit my chances of being accepted to the program and will they want an MCAT score prior to me applying?
Any info will be appreciated!

Thanks!!
Why would you apply after a year of retakes? You got a high GPA in a masters program. That should grant you acceptance. You need an MCAT of 40th percentile or higher also to matriculate to DO program.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to apply to LECOM and I was wondering if it's a bad thing to say on the essay that you are using this program to help you get into med school. I really don't know how I can sound good to the admins and be truthful for the essay prompt.

I thought I should try this question here since most of you are accepted in the program so you would know better. Thank you.

Hey guys,

I'm trying to apply to LECOM and I was wondering if it's a bad thing to say on the essay that you are using this program to help you get into med school. I really don't know how I can sound good to the admins and be truthful for the essay prompt.

I thought I should try this question here since most of you are accepted in the program so you would know better. Thank you.

Of course. That's what the program is for...but don't just only say it will get you in Med school. How is it going to make your life better in Med school? What are you hoping to learn from this program? How will you apply those things you learned?

My decision was finally made today, I called Jaime so he could tell me the decision and he informed me he usually doesn't tell people over the phone but yeah they rejected me. I'm guessing i got rejected because I applied so late (late july).

Sorry to hear that. Do you mind PMing me your stats?

Sorry to hear that. Do you mind PMing me your stats?

GPA and MCAT score absolutely matter to an extent, but I honestly think a lot of their decision is based on "fit" and if they believe you're someone that will further the school mission (primary care, community service, etc). I applied the last day of the application cycle (found out about the program late) with an MCAT score of 21 (which was years old) and low 3's cGPA and sGPA (including several grade replacements, lower without). I did have a significant upward trend in GPA the last 1.5 years before applying, a strong letter of recommendation, good EC's with leadership roles, and significant shadowing experience. While my GPA and MCAT score weren't anything to brag about, I think the other aspects of my application are what got me an acceptance. I retook the MCAT during the fall semester of post-bacc and was accepted into the DO program. All of that to say, don't let a low-ish GPA/MCAT score keep you from trying if you feel like it's a good fit for you and that you'd be successful here. You never know! Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:
Anybody on this thread taking the post bacc program with an interest in dental school? Does anybody know how successful the post bacc program is at helping students get accepted into dental school the following year?

Did you guys get en email when a decision was made or did your status just change? How long until you got a letter?