LECOM Post-bacc 2014-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drmo0ose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a few people have been accepted.. Congrats! I figured I'd start a thread for the incoming class.

I applied a few weeks ago and I've been told I should be hearing back by the end of the week (snail mail).

If there are any current students out there who can shed some light on how the program is going this year that would be great! Also, feel free to include any recent success stories from you or your classmates as far as successful matriculation into DO schools -that is, of course, the ultimate goal here.

Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I was accepted to this program a couple of days ago as well! I was wondering if you could comment on housing. I am kind of ignorant to whether people live on or off campus and how you find housing!

I was accepted to this program this past week. I am also curious about the housing situation near the main campus. If I were to rent out a 2 bed room apartment with another student, how much would I be looking at for monthly rent + utilities? I am asking because I am trying to come up with a living budget for the year. Thanks and good luck to those who are applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
If there are any current students out there who can shed some light on how the program is going this year that would be great! Also, feel free to include any recent success stories from you or your classmates as far as successful matriculation into DO schools -that is, of course, the ultimate goal here.

There's some good information to be found on the 2013-2014 thread; it's only 7 pages long now so skimming it should be easy. A good portion of the class has received their letters of conditional acceptance to LECOM and a few others have been accepted at other schools. The class formed a fairly active Facebook group so you might consider reaching out to the group's administrator to see if they can help drive traffic to this thread and answer some of your questions.

Pharmacology has proven to be an issue for many, this semester. Class average on the first test was 67%, and 72% on the second. Below 70% is failing. A 3.0 with no failed classes is necessary for matriculation to the D.O. program at LECOM if you're a PostBac.

I was accepted to this program a couple of days ago as well! I was wondering if you could comment on housing. I am kind of ignorant to whether people live on or off campus and how you find housing!

I was accepted to this program this past week. I am also curious about the housing situation near the main campus. If I were to rent out a 2 bed room apartment with another student, how much would I be looking at for monthly rent + utilities? I am asking because I am trying to come up with a living budget for the year. Thanks and good luck to those who are applying!

There is no on-campus housing, although there's an apartment complex across the street from the main campus that essentially serves that purpose. Several students live there and walk to class (Laurel Springs Apartments). They have prices listed on their site.

I searched for a house to rent last year and didn't find anything suitable via websites (ended up in a townhouse complex). Many homes are rented through individual realtors or simply have a sign in the front yard, so finding one from out of state was a challenge.

Erie is a pretty small place. I used to commute 35 miles each way for work... now a ten-minute drive feels like I'm headed across town. I'm partial to the southwestern side (Millcreek) but there are nice pockets throughout. Any shopping you need to do can be found on a single street, Peach, which is just a few minutes from campus.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was also wondering if anyone could shed any light on the value of retaking the MCAT for this program. I am going in there with a 25M 9BS 8PS 8VR, should I retake to be more competitive for the possible interview and if I wanted to go to another school? Or should I just stick with this because it is above the bare minimum for the interview.

I was also wondering if anyone could shed any light on the value of retaking the MCAT for this program. I am going in there with a 25M 9BS 8PS 8VR, should I retake to be more competitive for the possible interview and if I wanted to go to another school? Or should I just stick with this because it is above the bare minimum for the interview.

If you are only interested in attending LECOM, there's no reason to retake. Dr. Silvia Ferretti assured the class on Day 1 that the school will have space available for all successful PostBac students that attain a 3.0 GPA and 23 MCAT. That said, I retook the MCAT while in the program and won't be attending LECOM in the fall.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are only interested in attending LECOM, there's no reason to retake. Dr. Silvia Ferretti assured the class on Day 1 that the school will have space available for all successful PostBac students that attained a 3.0 GPA and 23 MCAT. That said, I retook the MCAT while in the program and won't be attending LECOM next year.
Where will you be going next year? And if you don't mind sharing your stats that would be helpful! If you want to PM thats cool.

Where will you be going next year? And if you don't mind sharing your stats that would be helpful! If you want to PM thats cool.

No need to PM - no secrets here. I might be going nowhere. I'm currently on the alternate list at MUCOM. 27 MCAT, 3.09 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA.

[edit: removed irrelevant information]

No need to PM - no secrets here. I might be going nowhere. I'm currently on the alternate list at MUCOM. 27 MCAT, 3.09 sGPA, 3.5 cGPA.

[edit: removed irrelevant information]
Okay gotcha, yea I might just retake the MCAT at the end of this summer and study all summer for it. Just to have in the back pocket for safe keepings. Is there a reason you won't be going to LECOM?

Is there a reason you won't be going to LECOM?

Several. I noticed an anti-LECOM sentiment in numerous SDN posts before starting the PostBac program, but disregarded them as the frustrations 0f bitter or unsuccessful students. During orientation we were introduced to campus police / security. They make sure to let you know they are fully-certified peace officers for Pennsylvania and can & will arrest you if necessary. Wasn't planning to commit any crimes, but thanks for the heads up? A few days into the program, I was called into a meeting with a member of the faculty / administration as they had received a complaint about my driving on school grounds. Apparently one of the officers had observed me committing a "California stop" at one of the stop signs - that is, I made a complete stop... but not for a long enough period of time. I thought this was bizarre. If I had committed an infraction (they said I didn't), I should have been issued a citation. Instead, they wanted me to be aware that I was being watched. I tried to dismiss it as simply a tactic to ensure new students are aware of their actions and didn't give it a second thought.

Some weeks into the program, we were subject to a presentation to remind us that we ought not to be getting drunk and acting foolishly. A student in another program did so and was dismissed, although the details we were given were vague. A few weeks later, we had a presentation on - I kid you not - hygiene. We were reminded to shower and use deodorant daily, and dress in appropriate attire per school uniform regulations.

I'm not a fan of their admissions process or how their admissions office does business. The secondary is simply a fee submission and the interview is a group. Those factors taken together suggest the school really doesn't care who they're getting to fill their spots. Furthermore, the admissions office is a bit of a black hole with the number of applications they receive, and it remains to be seen if they'll have enough spots for all the PostBacs. Also, the administration has structured the second semester to extend the period between exams, effectively making some of the exams considerably more difficult than others for no clear reason. Example: our last exam covered a four-week period compared to the normal two weeks. The exam was 41 pages long and took nearly 5 hours to complete. The class average hovered just above failing.

Please don't get the impression I am anti-LECOM. The issues I've mentioned are peculiar at best and unsettling at worst, but they are by no means deal-breakers when taken alone. My overall experience has been positive and I have learned a lot. The school graduates a high number of D.O.s annually and that doesn't happen by chance. There are several passionate, well-informed professors and the PostBac program doesn't ask much of you.

My primary reason for not continuing to attend LECOM this fall is Erie. I'm from a much more populous area and Erie is simply not my kind of town. The winter is long and the area's infrastructure is uninspiring - sidewalks can hardly be found in neighborhoods and potholes are a prominent feature. There's no real draw to the area aside from tick-infested Presque Isle (which is beautiful in the summer) and much of Erie is economically depressed with empty factories littering downtown. Additionally, I had to consider population density. The greater Erie area has maybe 200k people with just 100k of those living in Erie proper or the immediate surrounding area, thus local employment and training opportunities are negatively impacted. I have a family and don't want to have to move from state to state throughout my education and early medical career. Erie strikes me as a city that really shouldn't be a city at all, although much of its issues won't apply to the average PostBac (if you don't have a family).

Yea that was a great response! I guess I will have to wait and find out to see how much I like it. I guess in a good way this one year to see how I like the area is a good thing rather than being stuck going straight into the school. Best of luck in future endeavors! I am sure I will be asking other questions in the future.

I was also accepted a few days ago. Anyone planning on visiting soon or know when orientation would be? I tried looking to see if they had a open house, but nothing for Erie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Several. I noticed an anti-LECOM sentiment in numerous SDN posts before starting the PostBac program, but disregarded them as the frustrations 0f bitter or unsuccessful students. During orientation we were introduced to campus police / security. They make sure to let you know they are fully-certified peace officers for Pennsylvania and can & will arrest you if necessary. Wasn't planning to commit any crimes, but thanks for the heads up? A few days into the program, I was called into a meeting with a member of the faculty / administration as they had received a complaint about my driving on school grounds. Apparently one of the officers had observed me committing a "California stop" at one of the stop signs - that is, I made a complete stop... but not for a long enough period of time. I thought this was bizarre. If I had committed an infraction (they said I didn't), I should have been issued a citation. Instead, they wanted me to be aware that I was being watched. I tried to dismiss it as simply a tactic to ensure new students are aware of their actions and didn't give it a second thought.

Some weeks into the program, we were subject to a presentation to remind us that we ought not to be getting drunk and acting foolishly. A student in another program did so and was dismissed, although the details we were given were vague. A few weeks later, we had a presentation on - I kid you not - hygiene. We were reminded to shower and use deodorant daily, and dress in appropriate attire per school uniform regulations.

I'm not a fan of their admissions process or how their admissions office does business. The secondary is simply a fee submission and the interview is a group. Those factors taken together suggest the school really doesn't care who they're getting to fill their spots. Furthermore, the admissions office is a bit of a black hole with the number of applications they receive, and it remains to be seen if they'll have enough spots for all the PostBacs. Also, the administration has structured the second semester to extend the period between exams, effectively making some of the exams considerably more difficult than others for no clear reason. Example: our last exam covered a four-week period compared to the normal two weeks. The exam was 41 pages long and took nearly 5 hours to complete. The class average hovered just above failing.

Please don't get the impression I am anti-LECOM. The issues I've mentioned are peculiar at best and unsettling at worst, but they are by no means deal-breakers when taken alone. My overall experience has been positive and I have learned a lot. The school graduates a high number of D.O.s annually and that doesn't happen by chance. There are several passionate, well-informed professors and the PostBac program doesn't ask much of you.

My primary reason for not continuing to attend LECOM this fall is Erie. I'm from a much more populous area and Erie is simply not my kind of town. The winter is long and the area's infrastructure is uninspiring - sidewalks can hardly be found in neighborhoods and potholes are a prominent feature. There's no real draw to the area aside from tick-infested Presque Isle (which is beautiful in the summer) and much of Erie is economically depressed with empty factories littering downtown. Additionally, I had to consider population density. The greater Erie area has maybe 200k people with just 100k of those living in Erie proper or the immediate surrounding area, thus local employment and training opportunities are negatively impacted. I have a family and don't want to have to move from state to state throughout my education and early medical career. Erie strikes me as a city that really shouldn't be a city at all, although much of its issues won't apply to the average PostBac (if you don't have a family).

So, I'm moving to Indianapolis at the end of the semester. I've visited several times and really enjoy it there. I'll get the benefits of four distinct seasons (something my hometown lacks), and access to rural communities while maintaining the benefits of a large city. Perhaps I won't get off the MUCOM alternate list, but I'll live in Indy just as well. I am certain, though, that I won't be attending LECOM. Hopefully I've answered your question fairly and I'm happy to answer any others you have.
Thank you for your honest and quick response. I wish you the best of luck with MUCOM waitlist!

I have lived in some pretty depressing areas throughout my life, how depressing is Erie compared to let say Toledo, OH or Detroit, MI? Both of those places seem depressing and lack of life for other people, but I lived there for a few years and they were fine to me.

What concerns me the most from your post is the fact that they might not have enough spots for the successful post-bacs for this year. How did they interview the post-bac students? Was it also group interview or 1-on-1?

I was also accepted a few days ago. Anyone planning on visiting soon or know when orientation would be? I tried looking to see if they had a open house, but nothing for Erie.
I was actually just thinking I should go take a visit, just to get a sense of the surrounding area and campus. I am not sure how soon though, would be nice to get to know fellow classmates though before schools started and such. Not sure when orientation is, they probably send that out after all acceptances I would think.

I have lived in some pretty depressing areas throughout my life, how depressing is Erie compared to let say Toledo, OH or Detroit, MI?

What concerns me the most from your post is the fact that they might not have enough spots for the successful post-bacs for this year. How did they interview the post-bac students? Was it also group interview or 1-on-1?

Erie isn't all bad. Wegman's is a first-rate grocery store, all the major retailers are here (Target, Wal-Mart, & the regulars you find at a mall), and getting around town is easy. The locals have said this has been the worst winter in recent memory (I believe that's true for much of the country) so perhaps my assessment of the weather isn't fair. It's not my kind of city but plenty of people call it home.

The school not having enough spots is speculation on my part and a concern shared by some of the other students. My concern stems from the way the acceptances are being handled. After the interviews, conditional letters of acceptance were initially only sent to PostBac students with the highest GPAs (not simply the 3.0 cutoff as originally indicated). This upset many students and a representative from admissions came and discussed the situation with the class. He stated that letters were going out based on how many seats they had available, and proceeded to explain the dynamic nature of medical school acceptances. His speech boiled down to this: as of right now, we don't have enough seats. However, the administration has made a commitment we intend to keep (paraphrasing, clearly). There's was some talk of sending out additional letters after a mid-semester GPA recalculation, but nothing has come of it. Students have gotten letters sporadically and the administration has stated several times that there will be a spot available for all successful PostBacs students. The admissions office has stated they've had to make things up as they go along with regard to our PostBac class, in light of the massive expansion of the program.

LECOM does group interviews. Admissions set aside two days in January to run all the PostBacs through.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for the great info omg-wtf-bbq! I was also accepted into the program a couple of weeks ago. I was also curious about the living situation (rent, location, etc..) since I'm out of state. A facebook group for this years class sounds like a awesome idea. Looking forward to meeting everyone!

thanks for the great info omg-wtf-bbq! I was also accepted into the program a couple of weeks ago. I was also curious about the living situation (rent, location, etc..) since I'm out of state. A facebook group for this years class sounds like a awesome idea. Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Yea we should absolutely make a facebook group. I think that would be most beneficial.

Hello all, made a facebook group called LECOM Post-Bac 2014-2015. It's pretty early but thought I might as well just to start building up the group. It's a closed group so if you try and join I will just have to give you admittance as the admin. Hope to see a few new members in there.

Thank you for making the Facebook group! Would you mind posting the link here? I tried searching for it on facebook but only the link for last years class is showing up for some reason.

I'm sending out my app in about a week. How did you guys approach the essay? Also, do you think it would be a good idea to attach my personal statement to my application?

I just used my AACOMAS personal statement and edited it to fit the essay prompt!

I was actually just thinking I should go take a visit, just to get a sense of the surrounding area and campus. I am not sure how soon though, would be nice to get to know fellow classmates though before schools started and such. Not sure when orientation is, they probably send that out after all acceptances I would think.
I am probably going to try and visit around the end of April, and the facebook group is a great idea except I could not find it.

I'm sending out my app in about a week. How did you guys approach the essay? Also, do you think it would be a good idea to attach my personal statement to my application?
Yea I emailed them a copy of my personal statement.

I just wrote a new essay and talked about how it was going to make me a better medical student. But I do not believe I sent them in my personal statement and was still accepted.

I used my AMCAS/AACOMAS personal statement but I also added another paragraph at the end explaining how the program would be beneficial to my app. Worked for me.

congrats everyone! seems like it's gonna be another large class this year.

Excerpts from an email sent to PostBac students a few days ago:

"...based on past history, there will most likely be more open seats at the Seton Hill campus when the Post bac program ends than at the Erie campus. This does NOT mean you will NOT have a seat, but if the Erie campus is full, you may have to wait for a seat open, (it will not be a long wait- and yes, seats will open) whereas the Seton Hill campus, historically, has had open seats in mid-April for immediate placement into the class."

"Again, if you finish at a 3.0 or higher, barring you breaking the law, you will have a seat, but there is chance that if you want to stay in Erie, you may have to wait a short time after Post bac classes end for the seat to open. Obviously this is a bit stressful. Also, there could very well be a scenario that Erie will indeed have enough open seats, but I wanted to contact you about all possibilities."

"This does not mean the class is currently full, but based on past history there is a chance that in mid-April, this could be the situation."

This email was sent to PostBac students who finished last semester with a 3.2 or lower. A few things to note here:

1. The administration is again assuring all PostBac students they will make room for them in the fall class at one of the campuses.
2. You don't get an automatic acceptance after your interview with a 3.2 or below, so a spotty first semester will impact your spectrum of choices.
3. PostBacs need to be okay with attending the Seton Hill campus (PBL pathway only), which roughly 2.5 hours from Erie, SE of Pittsburgh.
4. "Barring you breaking the law," the PostBac is a surefire way to gain acceptance to a D.O. program if you can't get direct entry.

did you guys receive your decision letter by email or mail? i checked my portal status and it said that a decision has been made but received no email as of yet :(
stats: 25 MCAT with 3.45 cum gpa and 3.30 science gpa

did you guys receive your decision letter by email or mail? i checked my portal status and it said that a decision has been made but received no email as of yet :(

hey jillzhou...what was the timeline from when they received all your materials to when the portal changed to a decision has been made? i've waited a week now.

hey jillzhou...what was the timeline from when they received all your materials to when the portal changed to a decision has been made? i've waited a week now.
so I started my application way back in Jan, forgot about it and then remembered when I got waitlisted at my top choice D.O. school lol so I submitted everything about a 10 days ago and about Monday I emailed the director confirming if everything was received. He emailed me back saying that a decision would be made this week and according to the portal it has..now I just don't know what that decision is lol

who did you email?
so I started my application way back in Jan, forgot about it and then remembered when I got waitlisted at my top choice D.O. school lol so I submitted everything about a 10 days ago and about Monday I emailed the director confirming if everything was received. He emailed me back saying that a decision would be made this week and according to the portal it has..now I just don't know what that decision is lol
d yo

did the status change today in the portal?

They send out decisions by mail!

did the status change today in the portal?
yep changed today, and i have no idea. i just sent it to the lecom admissions and they forwarded it to the right person. you can call them up to ask whom to speak with

"...based on past history, there will most likely be more open seats at the Seton Hill campus when the Post bac program ends than at the Erie campus. This does NOT mean you will NOT have a seat, but if the Erie campus is full, you may have to wait for a seat open, (it will not be a long wait- and yes, seats will open) whereas the Seton Hill campus, historically, has had open seats in mid-April for immediate placement into the class."

"Again, if you finish at a 3.0 or higher, barring you breaking the law, you will have a seat, but there is chance that if you want to stay in Erie, you may have to wait a short time after Post bac classes end for the seat to open. Obviously this is a bit stressful. Also, there could very well be a scenario that Erie will indeed have enough open seats, but I wanted to contact you about all possibilities."

"This does not mean the class is currently full, but based on past history there is a chance that in mid-April, this could be the situation."

This email was sent to PostBac students who finished last semester with a 3.2 or lower. A few things to note here:

1. The administration is again assuring all PostBac students they will make room for them in the fall class at one of the campuses.
2. You don't get an automatic acceptance after your interview with a 3.2 or below, so a spotty first semester will impact your spectrum of choices.
3. PostBacs need to be okay with attending the Seton Hill campus (PBL pathway only), which roughly 2.5 hours from Erie, SE of Pittsburgh.
4. "Barring you breaking the law," the PostBac is a surefire way to gain acceptance to a D.O. program if you can't get direct entry.

Thanks for the continued update omg-wtf-bbg. I will be sending in my deposit tomorrow. Looking forward to the future.

Again, thanks for the update. So it appears that the magic number is 3.2 for an acceptance in February right after interview and flexibility in terms of campus choice? Can you tell me how Financial aid works for this program? From what I gathered it's considered to be graduate level, so say my Cost of Attendance is 31k, 20.5k will be from unsubsidized Stafford and 9.5k from Grad Plus?

Again, thanks for the update. So it appears that the magic number is 3.2 for an acceptance in February right after interview and flexibility in terms of campus choice? Can you tell me how Financial aid works for this program? From what I gathered it's considered to be graduate level, so say my Cost of Attendance is 31k, 20.5k will be from unsubsidized Stafford and 9.5k from Grad Plus?

Priority acceptance with a fall 3.2 is what it has trickled down to. Right after interviews, when Jamie came to reassure the class, ~3.5+ got letters. As for financial aid, you're correct. The amounts we were allotted for this program were $20,500 federal direct unsubsidized and $10,210 federal direct graduate PLUS for the 2013-2014 school year. It's processed like at any other school and you get a paper check cut for the refund amount a few weeks into each semester.

Priority acceptance with a fall 3.2 is what it has trickled down to. Right after interviews, when Jamie came to reassure the class, ~3.5+ got letters. As for financial aid, you're correct. The amounts we were allotted for this program were $20,500 federal direct unsubsidized and $10,210 federal direct graduate PLUS for the 2013-2014 school year. It's processed like at any other school and you get a paper check cut for the refund amount a few weeks into each semester.
Ah awesome! Thanks for the helpful info as always !

After reading more about the program, I don't think it is right for me. Good luck everyone!

After reading more about the program, I don't think it is right for me. Good luck everyone!

I was looking into this program, what about it makes you think that it is not right for u?

So what I am picking up from this is that as long as u have a 3.o and a 23 MCAT, you will be guaranteed a spot somewhere?

Does this still hold true for the people applying this year? I talked with LECOM and all they told me is that they guarantee and interview.

So what I am picking up from this is that as long as u have a 3.o and a 23 MCAT, you will be guaranteed a spot somewhere?

Does this still hold true for the people applying this year? I talked with LECOM and all they told me is that they guarantee and interview.

The administration holds a funny position on this topic. They made sure to let us know we were only guaranteed an interview, but then assured us we would have to go out of our way to not gain acceptance. They are either barred from making such a guarantee due to accreditation issues, or they simply want to reserve the right to deny anyone they deem unacceptable. Several members of the administration have, on numerous occasions, assured the PostBac class that if students finish with a 3.0 and 23 MCAT and stay out of trouble, LECOM will have a place for them in the fall class.

The administration holds a funny position on this topic. They made sure to let us know we were only guaranteed an interview, but then assured us we would have to go out of our way to not gain acceptance. They are either barred from making such a guarantee due to accreditation issues, or they simply want to reserve the right to deny anyone they deem unacceptable. Several members of the administration have, on numerous occasions, assured the PostBac class that if students finish with a 3.0 and 23 MCAT and stay out of trouble, LECOM will have a place for them in the fall class.

While I understand it is a good idea to hold the right to deny people who get a 3.0 and 23 MCAT just in case they have an applicant that turns out to be nuts, I wish they would just give a solid answer.

Let me ask you this, was there anyone with these minimums stats that were denied admissions this year?

I really want to do this program, and if it is a guarantee, sign me up! Very few places guarantee things anymore

Let me ask you this, was there anyone with these minimums stats that were denied admissions this year?

I don't know. I haven't heard of anyone being outright denied, although anyone with a fall GPA below 3.2 has yet to be accepted. There are only 3 weeks left in the program so we'll see.

I don't know. I haven't heard of anyone being outright denied, although anyone with a fall GPA below 3.2 has yet to be accepted. There are only 3 weeks left in the program so we'll see.

How tough is the program to get just a 3.0 in?

Are there many nonscience majors in the program? Do you think that it would be too difficult for a nonscience major?

How tough is the program to get just a 3.0 in?

Are there many nonscience majors in the program? Do you think that it would be too difficult for a nonscience major?

My undergraduate degree is a B.S. in Applied Psych and I'm doing fine. I had been out of school for a bit before the program and could have benefitted from some better study habits the first semester, namely flashcards (ANKI) and working from the objectives. Basic stuff. I will likely finish with a 3.2.

So no, I don't believe it is too difficult for a non science major assuming you focus on keywords, objectives, and memorizing for the exams right from the start.