LECOM Post-Bacc 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
alright cool. How long does it take roughly for them to make a decision ? ~2 weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I just wanted to post on here and get a feel of whoever else is attending the post-bac program this fall for Lecom. Some background on me, I am a senior Neuroscience major and I got accepted into the program with a 3.8 GPA and a 21 MCAT (I know, my MCAT isn't up to par). I'm really looking forward to attending the program, and I'd like to hear some feedback from others out there like me :)

Are you planning on applying to their DO school? You will have to retake the MCAT and get a 23...are you planning on retaking the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to the post bacc program and will be attending in the fall! :)

Guess I won't be the only Floridian freezing my butt off up north!

Are you going here? I noticed you in the LMU-POST Bacc Thread too...

Yeah they don't seem to be showing me any love right now though so looks like LECOM. Either way, apparently both states get lots of blizzards!

Yeah they don't seem to be showing me any love right now though so looks like LECOM. Either way, apparently both states get lots of blizzards!

When were you complete at LMU? No response from them?

does anyone know if there is a dress code for the post bac??

Yes there is a dress code for post-bac, it's the same as the med school

I haven't applied yet, but if I get in I'll have to spend some money on a new wardrobe. I mostly just have jeans and sweat pants.

Question: Are there any labs in the post-bach program or is it just all lecture courses?

ok thanks! how about the location of the post-bac classes, how far are they from the lecom campus?

Members don't see this ad :)
There's 1 lab in each semester, Micro for the 1st and an OMM lab in the 2nd.

The Post-bac classes are taken at the Bayfront campus. It's the same building where the PBL med school pathway has class. It's about 10 minutes from the main campus.

There's 1 lab in each semester, Micro for the 1st and an OMM lab in the 2nd.

The Post-bac classes are taken at the Bayfront campus. It's the same building where the PBL med school pathway has class. It's about 10 minutes from the main campus.

Oh good...thanks for the info.

I interviewed at LMU-DCOM and its an awesome school but didnt get the DO acceptance call so I will prob do post-bacc at LECOM since I am already accepted there. I hadnt thought about the post-bacc at LMU though until they gave us a brochure for it at the interview. LECOM does seem to be a lot cheaper but a lot more blizzards I'm sure lol. Where in Florida are you from?

so say you go to the post bac and get over a 23 and under a 3.0 or over a 3.0 and under the 23, what do you do then? can you still apply to the med school and you just wont be guaranteed the interview ? or is there NO way they will accept you at all?

so say you go to the post bac and get over a 23 and under a 3.0 or over a 3.0 and under the 23, what do you do then? can you still apply to the med school and you just wont be guaranteed the interview ? or is there NO way they will accept you at all?

You would probably want to email Jamie Murphy on that question. But I do know that not everyone in the post-bac is granted an interview. I think the number who matriculate into the med school is somewhere around 80% of the post-bac class.

past students in this program have been very nice and forthcoming to share success stories of this program. i really appreciate it.

i'm curious to hear from the latest crop of students - is the linkage is good as it has been in the past? i.e. get the 3.0 in the program and a 23+ MCAT and you're in. i'm guessing by around this time of the year, the current students who are about to finish up the program are now beginning to receive acceptances. when did you get your interview and when did you get a decision? was it a stressful experience?

Last edited:
past students in this program have been very nice and forthcoming to share success stories of this program. i really appreciate it.

i'm curious to hear from the latest crop of students - is the linkage is good as it has been in the past? i.e. get the 3.0 in the program and a 23+ MCAT and you're in. i'm guessing by around this time of the year, the current students who are about to finish up the program are now beginning to receive acceptances. when did you get your interview and when did you get a decision? was it a stressful experience?

I agree...if there are any current post-bach students watching this thread, please give us your feedback on the program!

Hi! I just wanted to post on here and get a feel of whoever else is attending the post-bac program this fall for Lecom. Some background on me, I am a senior Neuroscience major and I got accepted into the program with a 3.8 GPA and a 21 MCAT (I know, my MCAT isn't up to par). I'm really looking forward to attending the program, and I'd like to hear some feedback from others out there like me :)
Hi, I'm also a neuroscience major and had a 21 mcat, but my gpa is 3.5 and I got in. I'm glad to see someone else with similar stats getting in, but I now am trying to decide if I should do the program or not mostly because I'm unsure about how likely it is that I will still be able to matriculate into their med school next year with a mcat score lower then the required 23, do you have any insight on this?

Hi, I'm also a neuroscience major and had a 21 mcat, but my gpa is 3.5 and I got in. I'm glad to see someone else with similar stats getting in, but I now am trying to decide if I should do the program or not mostly because I'm unsure about how likely it is that I will still be able to matriculate into their med school next year with a mcat score lower then the required 23, do you have any insight on this?

someone said the minimum MCAT is 25. see the bottom of this post. maybe it doesn't apply to people in the post bacc program but it still is a good idea to clear the bar high.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13698641&postcount=2031

it's purely anecdotal, but intuitively, i'd try to raise the 21.

I agree...if there are any current post-bach students watching this thread, please give us your feedback on the program!

They all apparently hate their pharmacology class. My buddy was ranting about a recent exam. Everyone is apparently doing well in every class, but that one. Something like 50% failed the first two exams.

Bum deal bc even if you have a 4.0 and fail 1 class you get your acceptance withdrawn.

They all apparently hate their pharmacology class. My buddy was ranting about a recent exam. Everyone is apparently doing well in every class, but that one. Something like 50% failed the first two exams.

Bum deal bc even if you have a 4.0 and fail 1 class you get your acceptance withdrawn.

That's pretty scary! I know they've had "teacher issues" in the past. I wonder if this pharm teacher is a problem or if the course material is just much more difficult than the other courses. I want to attend a "quality" program where the teachers and exams are fair. I don't like to waste time arguing for points and about bad questions on exams and that sort of thing. Time should be spent studying and then trusting that if you've studied enough you can do well.

The acceptance letter specifically states 3.0, 23 matriculation in 2014

That's pretty scary! I know they've had "teacher issues" in the past. I wonder if this pharm teacher is a problem or if the course material is just much more difficult than the other courses. I want to attend a "quality" program where the teachers and exams are fair. I don't like to waste time arguing for points and about bad questions on exams and that sort of thing. Time should be spent studying and then trusting that if you've studied enough you can do well.

When you find such a program let everyone know.

Pharm wherever you take it is a lot of memorizing, certainly not a cakewalk, but far from impossible.

Personally, I hate it.

Last edited:
When you find such a program let everyone know.

Pharm is a lot of memorizing, certainly not a cakewalk, but far from impossible.

Personally, I hate it.

Pharm sound like the worst. Thanks for telling us a little about the program so we know what we're getting ourselves into.

questions about submitting my application...

1. how do i submit official mcat scores to lecom?
2. do i e-mail my resume to jamie murphy or do i mail it?

third question...just checking if someone knows the answer to this...

3. when they calculate your gpa, do they use grade replacement? do they use aacomas science classification or amcas classification? i ask because i was an engineering major - engineering counts as non-science for amcas but science for aacoms. it seems like a lot of work for their office to manually calculate your grade. other schools make you do it!

thank you!

questions about submitting my application...

1. how do i submit official mcat scores to lecom?
2. do i e-mail my resume to jamie murphy or do i mail it?

third question...just checking if someone knows the answer to this...

3. when they calculate your gpa, do they use grade replacement? do they use aacomas science classification or amcas classification? i ask because i was an engineering major - engineering counts as non-science for amcas but science for aacoms. it seems like a lot of work for their office to manually calculate your grade. other schools make you do it!

thank you!

I submitted screenshot of my official MCAT and that was fine

So I am applying to the Post bac program with a really low GPA (c2.78) and i think my science GPA is lower than that. I really made lots of family problem and also problems adapting to my new environment during my undergrad years right when I transferred from a foreign country to my school in Virginia. Anyway now that I have the sanity to study again, I think an organized program like a post back will be great for me since there are mentors around to help students. My question is, I will be taking the MCAT on May18th and I was wondering What score will be Ideal to increase my chances of getting into the program. Please be realistic and do you think i have a chance of getting into the program??

So I am applying to the Post bac program with a really low GPA (c2.78) and i think my science GPA is lower than that. I really made lots of family problem and also problems adapting to my new environment during my undergrad years right when I transferred from a foreign country to my school in Virginia. Anyway now that I have the sanity to study again, I think an organized program like a post back will be great for me since there are mentors around to help students. My question is, I will be taking the MCAT on May18th and I was wondering What score will be Ideal to increase my chances of getting into the program. Please be realistic and do you think i have a chance of getting into the program??

below is the course load for lecom's post bacc.

Fall Semester
Course Topic
Cell Biology
Biochemistry
Physiology
Histology
Genetics
Microbiology
Critical Thinking

Spring Semester
Course Topic
Anatomy
Immunology
Virology
Pathology
Pharmacology & Toxicology
Intro to Osteopathic Medicine

Is e-mailing the resume & MCAT score the best way to submit or is there another way?

I wish there was a checklist of items received so that I know they have my resume. I e-mailed my resume to Jamie but did not get a confirmation of receipt. Of course, I don't expect him to manually notify via e-mail as that would be too much work. I just hope it is in my file.

Does the status below indicate that the post-bacc office has received all of my items i.e. MCAT, transcripts, letters, etc.

We received your Postbac application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made.

Last edited:
Is e-mailing the resume & MCAT score the best way to submit or is there another way?

I wish there was a checklist of items received so that I know they have my resume. I e-mailed my resume to Jamie but did not get a confirmation of receipt. Of course, I don't expect him to manually notify via e-mail as that would be too much work. I just hope it is in my file.

Does the status below indicate that the post-bacc office has received all of my items i.e. MCAT, transcripts, letters, etc.

Did you receive this status in your email? If so, you should log on to your LECOM portal, where you would be able to find out if you are missing anything

Did you receive this status in your email? If so, you should log on to your LECOM portal, where you would be able to find out if you are missing anything
How do you check on the portal? Would it be: Required Letters and Credits --> View Folder Items? (on the Admissions Home page)

How do you check on the portal? Would it be: Required Letters and Credits --> View Folder Items? (on the Admissions Home page)

That's it! If it says requirements met, you're good!!!!!!

I have a question: for those of you with pretty strong GPAs, why are you applying to LECOM's post-bac? Aren't post-bacs for individuals looking to improve low GPAs? I figure your time would be best spent on studying for the MCATs.

Uh oh. I sent everything in, I got an e-mail with the standard 'we got your application..." this past Friday but see the screenshot below.

I don't want to bother Jamie if I don't need to. Who else can I call? A post from 3 years ago said Tom Ross but I'm not sure if he is still around.

lecomstatus.jpg

But Tom Ross is definitely the guy you should talk to if you want to know about the status of your application or any other details as he is the director of the biomedical program and the head recruiter for LECOM. The admissions office gets bombarded with questions anyway and won't help so if you want to save time and make their job easier, just call Tom and ask. He most likely will tell you to wait for snail mail but if you have a "compelling reason" he might be able to tell you what the decision is.

Thomas P. Ross
Admissions Recruiter
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
1858 West Grandview Boulevard
Erie, Pa 16508
Phone: 814-860-5172
Fax: 814-866-8123
Email: [email protected]

One last note, if your status on your candidate portal says "we have received your application .. will begin review" that is the default message that they have your app but have not begun looking at it. You will receive an e-mail notification of the change to "being reviewed" and then afterwards you can check periodically to see if a decision has been made because that is not notified. Expect a week or more before the mail is actually in your mailbox from when the status portal changes to "decision has been made". Hope this helps

Uh oh. I sent everything in, I got an e-mail with the standard 'we got your application..." this past Friday but see the screenshot below.

I don't want to bother Jamie if I don't need to. Who else can I call? A post from 3 years ago said Tom Ross but I'm not sure if he is still around.

lecomstatus.jpg
That's exactly how mine looks :/ I got that same email last Wednesday, but I'm going to wait another week to make sure all of my transcripts/LORs have had enough time to snail-mail over..

hmmm, but my letters of recs and transcripts were sent out 2 months ago? i hope they didn't get lost.

hmmm, but my letters of recs and transcripts were sent out 2 months ago? i hope they didn't get lost.

For some reason, I just feel that they haven't had the chance to put everything in yet, however, you can also email jamie at [email protected] if you don't wanna call. He's pretty fast with email too.

cool. i just checked my folder and it says requirements met and below that lists some of the stuff i sent in. so i think i'm good now. it says

Your application is under review.

so i think i'm good now.

thanks for all your help. sorry to be ocd about this :oops: but now all is good.

Hey all, I am applying for the program and I have a couple quick questions:

I know they only require one letter of recommendation from a science prof. Did anyone send more then one? I noticed some people sent "LOR's" and others "rec letter."

Also, in the application there are two spots to enter past education. I have taken courses at multiple schools. I didn't see any instructions in the application for what to do in this case. Obviously I'll list the school where I completed my BA, and the school where I took my pre-req's, but for the rest should I just forward the transcripts? Anyone else have this problem?

I'd email Jamie, but I have already bothered him before...

Thanks much!!

Hey all, I am applying for the program and I have a couple quick questions:

I know they only require one letter of recommendation from a science prof. Did anyone send more then one? I noticed some people sent "LOR's" and others "rec letter."

Also, in the application there are two spots to enter past education. I have taken courses at multiple schools. I didn't see any instructions in the application for what to do in this case. Obviously I'll list the school where I completed my BA, and the school where I took my pre-req's, but for the rest should I just forward the transcripts? Anyone else have this problem?

I'd email Jamie, but I have already bothered him before...

Thanks much!!

1. yes i sent in a letter packet which had four letters through my pre prof committee. i've never applied but they stored my letters.

2. i had the same question. yes, you just list the two schools but forward the transcripts for all your schools. jamie said they look at the transcripts to evaluate your grades. he even said that they calculate your gpa (that sounds like a lot of work on their part!).

cool. i just checked my folder and it says requirements met and below that lists some of the stuff i sent in. so i think i'm good now. it says

so i think i'm good now.

thanks for all your help. sorry to be ocd about this :oops: but now all is good.

Anytime bro!!!!!

1. yes i sent in a letter packet which had four letters through my pre prof committee. i've never applied but they stored my letters.

2. i had the same question. yes, you just list the two schools but forward the transcripts for all your schools. jamie said they look at the transcripts to evaluate your grades. he even said that they calculate your gpa (that sounds like a lot of work on their part!).

Thanks Common Man! That does seem like a lot of work! I spent summers during my undergrad at different universities and then finished my pre-reqs at two different schools. I hope they don't throw my app in the trash because of the work involved in calculating my GPA. Oh well! Here goes nothing...

Hope to see you all in the fall!

does anyone know if the ppl that make the decision are in the office now? I have had everything in for over a week now and it's still "under review" . I dont know if Im just being impatient or what but I just want an answer already! Also a general question for applying to med school: what is a "good " amount of volunteering hours to have? Is there a specific range?

is it best to apply for the post bacc or the MS in biomedical sciences? or is it all the same thing?

is it best to apply for the post bacc or the MS in biomedical sciences? or is it all the same thing?

I would say post bac since it is 1 year vs. 2 for MS in biomedical sciences!!!!!