LECOM Post Bacc- 2009-2010 applicants/class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1 Rentway Pl in Erie.

Should be right near Midtown and Presque Isle.

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if it is a good idea to take a anatomy physiology course thats a month long this summer.I have heard alot of people struggle with this subject in post bacc programs and medical schools. I talked to a friend and he made a good point, saying they are almost all straight up memorizations and you would forget it right after the exam and that Its best to just use your summer to rest and work hard during the program. but i cant help feel unprepared/insecure going into lecom not having taken any anatomy before.

I understand where you are coming from on wanting to be prepared, I feel the same, but i would save the cash and buy a good Physio book and just go over some of the basics. That way you will relieve some of the pressure of it being uncharted waters, and feel more comftorable w/out wasting some time and money. Just my opinion though (as this is what Im doing) :)

Members don't see this ad :)
will post something relevant later, apparently copy and pasting isn't working too well.

Booklist for 1st Semster

Histology
Junqueira's Basic Histology Mescher 978007163020712 $69.95

Biochemistry
Basic Medical Biochemistry Marks 97807817702243 $74.95

Cell Biology/Genetics
Crash Course Cell Biology and Genetics Lamb 9780323044943 $30.95

Physiology
Textbook of Medical Physiology Guyton 978072160240011 $122.00

Microbiology
Medical Microbiology Murray 97803230547066 $83.95

Medical Terminology
Medical Terminology Willis 97807817928372 $61.95

All prices are subject to change obviously and can be found at the bookstore but if you wanted to try and find online deals now it might be a good idea. That said, only the physio book, gray's anatomy by Drake and medical terminology will really be needed for us.

Last edited:
Post-Bacc Portal changed today and a decision has been made. Hopefully the letters get signed fast and in the mail. I know for the med school there was a huge delay in signing the letters and it took like 5 weeks to get the letter after the portal changed.

Good luck though I have little doubt you will need it since you were interviewed this cycle.

You can call Tom and see if he will let you know the outcome of the decision prior to receiving it by mail.

Good luck though I have little doubt you will need it since you were interviewed this cycle.

You can call Tom and see if he will let you know the outcome of the decision prior to receiving it by mail.

Is officially accepted to the post-bacc Class of 2010. Look forward to meeting you all in September

I am posting this new book list because alot of the books are different from the 2009-2010 list. I just bought all of them except the physiology book (which is not going to be released until June) for $183.00 (Yes, I am a geek)

2010-2011
Post Bac REQUIRED BOOKS1st Semester
Histology: Histology: A Text and AtlasRoss 97807817722115 $72.95
Biochemistry: Basic Medical Biochemistry Marks 97807817702243 $74.95
Cell Biology/ Genetics: Crash Course Cell Biology and Genetics Lamb 9780323044943 $30.95
Physiology: Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology Hall 978141604574812 $122.00
Microbiology: Medical Microbiology Murray 97803230547066 $83.95

****All prices subject to change!!!

What is the deposit for the post-bacc? and do they require the same immunizations as the medical school?

You haven't gotten your acceptance letter and matriculation package yet right? In your letter it'll tell you the amount to accept a seat and the matric package will give you all the details on financial aid, security background check, and orientation information.

You can always message me on facebook or post in the group if you need further information.

hey, so as per request here is the name of the facebook group: lecom post-bacc 2010

it finally hit me that it was probably a little hard to find so there it is...i cant get the link to work for some reason (woops, tech-challenged!)

feel free to join :) hope to see ya'll soon

p.s. i finally heard from the laurel spring's people (the complex across from LECOM's main campus)...is any one else living there?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone! So I am confused and need some help. I have been accepted into both LECOM and LMU (in Tennessee) post-bac programs but I don't know which one to choose. In terms of the program at LMU, this is the first year of the program and they have a guaranteed interview as long as you meet DCOM's admissions requirements and keep your GPA 3.0 or higher and don't get a grade below a C during the post-bac. The only thing is that there has been some talk about the fact that people need to finish the entire program and THEN apply to DCOM for the guaranteed interview which means that there will be a gap year. However, when I spoke to DCOM admissions they said no problem, apply this year anyways.

With LECOMs program, I don't really know much about it except that I think they enourage applying to LECOM medical school after the first semester is finished? Isn't that too late in the application cycle because this puts us at December of this year? Also, there isn't a guaranteed interview and I don't know. Is it pretty well known that people who complete this program do end up getting into LECOM's medical school?

I am just really confused right now and since LMU's program starts on July 30th, I really don't have much time. Advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!

Hi Everyone! So I am confused and need some help. I have been accepted into both LECOM and LMU (in Tennessee) post-bac programs but I don't know which one to choose. In terms of the program at LMU, this is the first year of the program and they have a guaranteed interview as long as you meet DCOM's admissions requirements and keep your GPA 3.0 or higher and don't get a grade below a C during the post-bac. The only thing is that there has been some talk about the fact that people need to finish the entire program and THEN apply to DCOM for the guaranteed interview which means that there will be a gap year. However, when I spoke to DCOM admissions they said no problem, apply this year anyways.

With LECOMs program, I don't really know much about it except that I think they enourage applying to LECOM medical school after the first semester is finished? Isn't that too late in the application cycle because this puts us at December of this year? Also, there isn't a guaranteed interview and I don't know. Is it pretty well known that people who complete this program do end up getting into LECOM's medical school?

I am just really confused right now and since LMU's program starts on July 30th, I really don't have much time. Advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you so much!!!!
Post-bacs this year interviewed from Jan-Feb, it does not put you at any disadvantage. Good Luck!

thanks for alll the information....do you guys know any other schools where I should Apply....

mcat- 22
gpa- 3.63

If you end up not going to a postbacc, I would think taking a MCAT prep class would be a good idea. If you are planning on D.O. schools, just raising your MCAT with your gpa would probably be good....though this is just my opinion, you have to do what is best for you! Good Luck!!!

Post-bacs this year interviewed from Jan-Feb, it does not put you at any disadvantage. Good Luck!
Do you feel you are at more of an advantage now that you have completed the post-bac?

Are post bacs applying for the osteopathic school the same year they actually take the post bac classes? IE, are you guys that are doing the post bac this year also applying to the osteopathic school? Or are you waiting until next year to get the post bac results (gpa/experiences), and then applying for the next admission cycle?

Are post bacs applying for the osteopathic school the same year they actually take the post bac classes? IE, are you guys that are doing the post bac this year also applying to the osteopathic school? Or are you waiting until next year to get the post bac results (gpa/experiences), and then applying for the next admission cycle?

Bolded

Do you feel you are at more of an advantage now that you have completed the post-bac?
Yes, Post bac helps a great deal. It also has advantages in addition to the main purpose of med school acceptance (ie, preparedness).

are you guys that are doing the post bac this year also applying to the osteopathic school? I would say every single person this past year applied for the same year since we all wanted to get in right away. If you wanted or needed to wait a year is up to you.

hey guys how long did it take to receive the orientation packet and stuff that comes after mailing in the deposit and matriculation sheet? i've been waiting for quite a bit now. I hope it didn't get lost in the mail because I put my Toronto address as the mailing address.

They e-mail it to you after they receive the deposit for holding the seat.

So, Has anyone finished thier ACCOMAS app yet? I have to finish my Personal Statement but I HATE writing....so its taking awhile. I was just curious how everyone else is faring.

hey guys how long did it take to receive the orientation packet and stuff that comes after mailing in the deposit and matriculation sheet? i've been waiting for quite a bit now. I hope it didn't get lost in the mail because I put my Toronto address as the mailing address.

So, Has anyone finished thier ACCOMAS app yet? I have to finish my Personal Statement but I HATE writing....so its taking awhile. I was just curious how everyone else is faring.

I sent in my deposit last Tuesday so I assume they received it Friday because I had my matriculation agreement emailed to me today.

I am going to copy and paste my primary app from last year and just change the parts I am unhappy with, and add the post-bacc information. After seeing the secondary essays from the schools I applied to, I have a much better idea what the ADCOM's are PROBABLY looking to see in the primary app. in order to give you an interview.

question for this year's applicants; did you guys sent your LOR, trasncripts etc right after you submitted your application online or waited until your app was processesd? I'm asking because I submitted my online app on 5/22 and it still has not been downloaded and my admission status is still blank (I was told they were busy last wk due to graduation etc), but one of my letters was sent out last week and I'm just worried it would get lost. I'm paranoid because it's happened to me twice before. Thanks

Well, for "reapplicants" sending applicants to schools who had received your primary/secondary last cycle, it's always a good idea to make "substantial" changes to your primary application to prevent Adcoms from developing the opinion that you hadn't put thought on how to make the application better. "Substantial changes" include retooling your PS, more E.CS., new and updated grades, new planned coursework (LECOM's graduate curriculum this fall/spring), etc. I've read on SDN in the past that in some select instances, Adcoms have immediately rejected an application while notifying the applicant that they had not improved their application enough from last year.

As for jmkgoll's question, you never send transcripts to schools unless they are a) asked for or b) after you have been accepted and they want a final copy of your transcripts prior to your matriculation. You send your LORs along with the secondary generally and whatever other information that specific schools require before your actual application is reviewed in its entirety.

If I'm misinterpreting your question for transcripts and you're asking about for AACOMAS primary application purposes, you submit the transcripts to AACOMAS as soon as possible unless you still have classes in progress (quarter system) and are waiting on Spring grades. If this is the case, you submit transcripts when the grade has been displayed for said classes so AACOMAS can verify your coursework and officially process your application to release to the schools that you select.

As for me, I'm waiting on my spring grades (quarter system) to be displayed prior to submitting my AACOMAS application. I tweaked my primary a bit to include mention of LECOM's program and what the purpose of it serves for me personally, updated E.Cs, reclarified descriptions of awards/existing E.Cs. etc. I expect to submit it on June 15th or so.

Well, for "reapplicants" sending applicants to schools who had received your primary/secondary last cycle, it's always a good idea to make "substantial" changes to your primary application to prevent Adcoms from developing the opinion that you hadn't put thought on how to make the application better. "Substantial changes" include retooling your PS, more E.CS., new and updated grades, new planned coursework (LECOM's graduate curriculum this fall/spring), etc. I've read on SDN in the past that in some select instances, Adcoms have immediately rejected an application while notifying the applicant that they had not improved their application enough from last year.

As for jmkgoll's question, you never send transcripts to schools unless they are a) asked for or b) after you have been accepted and they want a final copy of your transcripts prior to your matriculation. You send your LORs along with the secondary generally and whatever other information that specific schools require before your actual application is reviewed in its entirety.

If I'm misinterpreting your question for transcripts and you're asking about for AACOMAS primary application purposes, you submit the transcripts to AACOMAS as soon as possible unless you still have classes in progress (quarter system) and are waiting on Spring grades. If this is the case, you submit transcripts when the grade has been displayed for said classes so AACOMAS can verify your coursework and officially process your application to release to the schools that you select.

As for me, I'm waiting on my spring grades (quarter system) to be displayed prior to submitting my AACOMAS application. I tweaked my primary a bit to include mention of LECOM's program and what the purpose of it serves for me personally, updated E.Cs, reclarified descriptions of awards/existing E.Cs. etc. I expect to submit it on June 15th or so.

Hey, my question was concerning the post bac/biomed application for this fall. Sorry I didn't specify.

OH. Sorry.

I submitted all materials that they stated that they required immediately after I submitted my application. But they lost one of my transcripts early on since I saw that they had not recieved one of the two therefore I had Tom transfer over my AACOMAS application instead. They did receive my LORs seperately though.

As for submitting it since 5/22, I would give them at least a week more minimum. It's only been technically 8 days and if you had mailed your other stuff in and depending on where you live, it could take about 3 days before they recieve it and several more before they process it. I really have no idea how things go this late in the cycle but I'll assume they'll get to it sometime within the next week and a half. If your status does not say "we have received your application and the review process will begin on your file" or something along those lines in the next week, then I'd panic.

So the waiting period is normal. Good to know. Thank you.

I received my acceptance letter and am debating between LECOM and PCOM-Philly. I'v heard that there is a better chance of getting into LECOMs med program by taking this path vs. PCOMS path. Can anyone comment on this? Maybe I'll be seeing everyone this fall

I am currently studying for the MCAT, will most likely retake in August and if I don't do well, I will take it again in Jan. but freaking out about what happens if I don't get that 22 needed for LECOM but do well within the program. I REALLY hope I do well!

The only solace I have is the fact that if I somehow don't do well on the August MCAT, I can retake in Jan. Does anyone know how many people have done this and still were accepted into LECOM's medical school for the same cycle (with the assumption that they had the 3.0 GPA or higher in the post-bac) or are people just waitlisted at some point?

I received my acceptance letter and am debating between LECOM and PCOM-Philly. I'v heard that there is a better chance of getting into LECOMs med program by taking this path vs. PCOMS path. Can anyone comment on this? Maybe I'll be seeing everyone this fall

Sent you a PM.

I am currently studying for the MCAT, will most likely retake in August and if I don't do well, I will take it again in Jan. but freaking out about what happens if I don't get that 22 needed for LECOM but do well within the program. I REALLY hope I do well!

The only solace I have is the fact that if I somehow don't do well on the August MCAT, I can retake in Jan. Does anyone know how many people have done this and still were accepted into LECOM's medical school for the same cycle (with the assumption that they had the 3.0 GPA or higher in the post-bac) or are people just waitlisted at some point?

They are strict on the minimum requirement (it's called minimum for a reason). That said, my close friend who did the program last year with a GPA of 3.68 in the program and finished in April took the MCAT in April and received a satisfactory score and was accepted 3 days later. When she took it in January it did not meet their requirements but was still given an interview. She was accepted into her first choice, Erie LDP.

jslo85 - I know, I guess I have just been stressing out and going through the whole "what if" this and that so I just wanted to know if people are interviewed/accepted without the 22. I am just so annoyed that I have a higher than 22 MCAT score but it's no longer valid and now I feel like I have to start from scratch again. However, I am nevertheless happy for this opportunity and hope that I do well on the MCAT in August so I don't have to think about it ever again and just focus on the post-bac courses!

Do you know if it has to be an even spread and/or does LECOM have a minimum in each MCAT section? I have read people say that some DO schools won't even look at your application if you have below a 7 in any MCAT section.

Thank you so much for all of your help and insight.

I can't predict what LECOM admissions will do if you do not meet their minimum requirements, that's their discretion. But they did offer my friend an interview even though she had a point less than their minimum at the time of the interview, most likely because she had a high GPA in the program and had plans to retake the MCAT.

As for an even spread, you probably need to talk to Tom for a definite answer. As a rough general guideline, no osteopathic school will consider less than a 6 in any section but you should aim to be well above this, at the minimum of a 7 is my personal advice. Past successful LECOM students have told me that a 3.0+ in the program and an MCAT of a 22 or higher with "no MCAT score breakdown of a 10, 10 and 2" and do not fail any classes (even the 1 unit ones) should have no problems. So take from that what you will.

You're doing the right thing by retaking it in August, I've been told there is an extreme amount of pressure to retake the MCAT during the program despite the fact that alot of the courses first semester will aid you in preparing for the BS section on the MCAT (cell bio, physio, biochem, etc.).

As a side note, if anyone needs any advice on deciding between different programs and osteopathic schools in general, you can always send me a PM. I'll do my best to give unbiased advice and give the pros/cons of each program and school.

I can't predict what LECOM admissions will do if you do not meet their minimum requirements, that's their discretion. But they did offer my friend an interview even though she had a point less than their minimum at the time of the interview, most likely because she had a high GPA in the program and had plans to retake the MCAT.

As for an even spread, you probably need to talk to Tom for a definite answer. As a rough general guideline, no osteopathic school will consider less than a 6 in any section but you should aim to be well above this, at the minimum of a 7 is my personal advice. Past successful LECOM students have told me that a 3.0+ in the program and an MCAT of a 22 or higher with "no MCAT score breakdown of a 10, 10 and 2" and do not fail any classes (even the 1 unit ones) should have no problems. So take from that what you will.

You're doing the right thing by retaking it in August, I've been told there is an extreme amount of pressure to retake the MCAT during the program despite the fact that alot of the courses first semester will aid you in preparing for the BS section on the MCAT (cell bio, physio, biochem, etc.).

As a side note, if anyone needs any advice on deciding between different programs and osteopathic schools in general, you can always send me a PM. I'll do my best to give unbiased advice and give the pros/cons of each program and school.

I figured that at least a 7, 7, 8 would be okay. I am of course going to try and do the best that I can but knowing this helps me stress out less. Again, thanks so much for your response. Have you figured out where you are going to live yet? I have been looking at some apartments but I am not 100% sure yet. I might visit Erie at some point and see some places as well as LECOM itself before deciding.

Also, for anyone trying to get in touch with Tom, he's going to be out of the office for the next two weeks.

I'll be staying at Lovell Place with a roommate in a 2BR 2 Bath loft.

If you need pictures of the apartment and the outside of the post-bacc campus, I can send you e-mails of it, just PM me your addy and I'll send over some pics/videos that my roommate took of where we were going to stay and around the bayfront campus when he visited.

If you need pictures of the apartment and the outside of the post-bacc campus, I can send you e-mails of it, just PM me your addy and I'll send over some pics/videos that my roommate took of where we were going to stay and around the bayfront campus when he visited.

Are the Lovell Place apartments close to the bayfront campus where our classes are or to the main campus? I am looking for a studio or one bedroom. How is the parking?

Parking if you choose to pay an additional 35 a month is enclosed/gated and can only be accessed through with an electronic keycard.

Lovell is near the Bayfront Campus.

can you PM me that information also? You have been a lot of help. thanks

Has anyone listed the LECOM classes on their 2011 application? If so, what were the class prefixes you used? How did you approach the transcript question?

Is anyone here taking the post-bac after not getting into LECOM this year? If yes, could you please answer some questions for me? :p

-When you applied for the post-bac, did you get another recommendation from a faculty member specifically for the LECOM post bac or was one for the medical school sufficient (either faculty/DO)?

-Did you re-request recommendations from your DO/pre-health committee for your DO application for the 2010-2011 cycle? I'm only saying because the recommendations will be very similar, with the exception of the post bac year.

Thanks for the help!

can you PM me that information also? You have been a lot of help. thanks

PM me your e-mail and I'll see if I can attach the pictures. The videos are too large which is a shame.

Has anyone listed the LECOM classes on their 2011 application? If so, what were the class prefixes you used? How did you approach the transcript question?

I just put BM01/02/03 or PB01/02/03 for each. Most post-baccs don't actually have a course numbering and I just used the prefix that KCOM's MBS used. My friend did the same for her post-bacc class last year and she's going to be a fall OMS-1 at LECOM so I assume it's ok.

Is anyone here taking the post-bac after not getting into LECOM this year? If yes, could you please answer some questions for me? :p

-When you applied for the post-bac, did you get another recommendation from a faculty member specifically for the LECOM post bac or was one for the medical school sufficient (either faculty/DO)?

-Did you re-request recommendations from your DO/pre-health committee for your DO application for the 2010-2011 cycle? I'm only saying because the recommendations will be very similar, with the exception of the post bac year.

Thanks for the help!

Sent letters seperately and sent transcripts seperately but they lost one so I had Tom transfer over my AACOMAS application.

You don't need new letters of recommendation as a requirement as long as your previous ones were sufficient. It might be a good idea to get a new one to show that you've been continuing or had new experiences or at the very least have your letter writers update the LOR with a new date and a few modifications.

i have a question, does LECOM look at a composite score on the MCAT or no? just wondering. the first time i took the mcat i got a 9P, 5V, 8B, i blew it in verbal and since its def not consistent I am re-taking it. Any ideas? Also im living at Shadow Pines...anyone heard anything about that complex?

That should be fine as far as I know. I know of a couple students who went through the program last year and filled it out the same way you did.

Shadow Pines, relatively new community by Maleno Development in the edges of Millcreek. Expect about 3-6 minutes to main campus and 16-20 min to Bayfrong Campus.

Hey Guys. I got a call from LECOM today and was removed from the class for being an International Student (I'm Canadian). Even though I specifically stated it in my application and over (and even though it is written in the AACOMAS School Guide for this cycle and last cycle; that International Students could apply). I don't understand how you can accept someone into your program and just remove them a month later when it was their own fault. I also let them know that I withdrew from 2 other programs to accept the LECOM offer. They still don't want to issue a student visa for me. Any thoughts on what I should do? I called in and they said they can't do anything and that they were sorry for the inconvenience.

Well I'm sorry to hear that and hope things work out for you, but I doubt anyone here can tell you anything different if you've talked to admissions at LECOM and that's their answer.

Either a) work things out with them somehow or get a move on plan B (whatever that is)

Hey guys. Congrats on the post-bacc spots.

I've been in Erie for almost 3 years. If you need some help on places to live PM me. I know some people looking for a roomate ::cough:: me ::cough:: But I can also help you out by telling you not to live at Granada. Never. Other questions, PM me.