LECOM post-bac?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HoosierDO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well as the application process moves on and my mailbox remains empty...I am desperately looking for some opinions on the post-bac program at LECOM. I am looking for any and all opinions, from students, graduates, LECOM med students ANYONE!!!!! I am interested in hearing whether this program prepares its students as well as some of the other schools, I know that it is by far the most resonably priced, but how does one perform afterwards? Any opinions would be appreciated greatly! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking at it as an option as well as the programs at TCOM and PCOM.

I thnk the lady I corresponded with there stated that 92% of the applicants there who do well move into a graduate program, DO or MD or something else?

Ive got todo some editing for my essay to that program first and see what else happens in the next few weeks.

Hey guys,

I did the postbacc at LECOM and I have to say that it was great. It MORE than adequately prepares you for the 1st year of medical school. I must say that I feel as if I have a true advantage over students who have never seen some of the material before.

The LECOM professors are terrific!! Dare I say better than the NYCOM professors!!:eek: :eek:

Almost everyone who was in the postbacc was accepted into LECOM and several of us were accepted into multiple schools.

I chose to attend NYCOM because of the 3rd and 4th year rotations. Plus, you don't have to move around the country here when completeing rotations.

BUT.....as far as the postbacc is concerned, LECOM is top notch. The professors are wonderful and you WILL learn a ton. The work is not easy but the hard work pays off.

I hope this helps. Good luck to everyone!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Due to my low MCAT Scores, I have applied to postbacc school at LECOM. The program looks outstanding. I can't wait to find out if they will accept me!

I sent in my app 2 weeks ago. However, they won't look at it for another month. But at least it is one of the first in the pile!!!!

Good luck with your decision.
Jennie

Since I am in the program now, I think I can offer a comment.

The program is great and the faculty is great. The program makes you take classes in most of the first year courses and gives you a taste of what your in for. Many times we are given the same notes the first year students use. We do not get the volume of material the first years get, but we do go in depth in the subjects we study. Also, having spoken to many ex-post bac students here, they stated that the program does give you a slight advantage with respect to the material. Since we do not cover all of the material first year studnets cover, I think the real advantages we get are learning how to study for med school, meeting people you will probally go to med school with, knowing the area and the school, and most importantly the professors and how they teach and test.

I can't tell you the acceptance rate for our class yet because we don't know yet. We should find out in the next few days. However, talking to past post bac students, I know in the past to classes above 90% of the students were accepted.

Admission into the program did not seem difficult. One of my friends was accepted 2 weeks before class started. So, if you have your app in already you are in excellent shape. If your MCAT is low, they will probally make your acceptance into the post bac program contingent on taking the MCAT again in August 2003 or April 2004.

Do not be turned off by the dress code and attendence policy. It's not that bad.

Good luck
steve

Hey guys,

Just a quick question. Is the LECOM program designed just for people how are interested in attending DO school? I was considering applying to the program, but I would prefer to attend a MD school after graduating.

Is it necessary to have taken the MCAT for admission into the LECOM post bac program? I have taken the premed courses 6 years ago and after working in the corporate world have decided to pursue my dream of becoming a physician. My undergrad grades in science are not the best and I am torn whether to repeat some of those courses or to find a post bac program.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

You will have to take the MCAT at some point, in order to get into medical school, but there were several people in my post-bacc at LECOM that took it for thier first time and even there second or third time while they were in the post-bacc. The program is really very good and there will plenty of time to get such things done.