LECOM Post-bac 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
among everyone that got in recently with a late application, anyone willing to share statistics? I applied early July and my application is still under review. I called admissions and they said decision will be made real soon maybe today or early next week. I was wondering if I had any chances this late in the cycle. If not I need to accept admission to another postbacc program I got into. My stats were cGPA 3.2 sGPA 2.7... MCAT 28R

Any info would be appreciated. thanks

Did you get an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys know about how many students does this program typically accept? Also, about how many application do usually receive each year?

Do you guys know about how many students does this program typically accept? Also, about how many application do usually receive each year?

Class size varies.

No idea on the # of applications.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering applying to LECOM post bac if I dont receive an acceptance this cycle. I read earlier in this forum that classes for the post bac are at night... Is this true and if so, what's the daily and weekly schedule look like?

Also, has anyone had success in the program while holding a part-time job say as a server or something? I assume the answer is that the post-bac is your full time job and then some but just wanted to ask.

Thanks!!!

I'm considering applying to LECOM post bac if I dont receive an acceptance this cycle. I read earlier in this forum that classes for the post bac are at night... Is this true and if so, what's the daily and weekly schedule look like?

Also, has anyone had success in the program while holding a part-time job say as a server or something? I assume the answer is that the post-bac is your full time job and then some but just wanted to ask.

Thanks!!!

Classes are in the late afternoon. Generally 2pm-6pm, but I'd say finishing up around 5pm on average.

As far as working, some people do it and it is definitely possible. In my opinion, it is not worth your time. If you are doing post-bacc it is typically the end of the road for you. You either do well and get it OR you prove you can't handle watered down medical school and you'll most likely not get in anywhere. Tuition is very inexpensive (around $6k a semester), on that fact alone I figured working was not necessary due to the $ saved by not going to another comparable program where tuition is 2x as much

If you really want to work, I HIGHLY suggest not doing so during the 1st semester. The workload will surprise you and you have NO room to screw up.

I love this program and LECOM. It is a great choice.

Classes are in the late afternoon. Generally 2pm-6pm, but I'd say finishing up around 5pm on average.

As far as working, some people do it and it is definitely possible. In my opinion, it is not worth your time. If you are doing post-bacc it is typically the end of the road for you. You either do well and get it OR you prove you can't handle watered down medical school and you'll most likely not get in anywhere. Tuition is very inexpensive (around $6k a semester), on that fact alone I figured working was not necessary due to the $ saved by not going to another comparable program where tuition is 2x as much

If you really want to work, I HIGHLY suggest not doing so during the 1st semester. The workload will surprise you and you have NO room to screw up.

I love this program and LECOM. It is a great choice.

Thanks thecgrblue...

^^ See above bolded...

How is the curriculum watered down? I was under the impression that the courses are the exact same that the med students are enrolled in during OM1?

Also, I gather you're in the program now. I assume you've done well based on your talk etc. Did you gain acceptance into LECOM this upcoming Fall? And did you apply to any other schools in addition this cycle?

Thanks thecgrblue...

^^ See above bolded...

How is the curriculum watered down? I was under the impression that the courses are the exact same that the med students are enrolled in during OM1?

Also, I gather you're in the program now. I assume you've done well based on your talk etc. Did you gain acceptance into LECOM this upcoming Fall? And did you apply to any other schools in addition this cycle?

The title of the courses may be the same, but the volume is not. Post bacc is only 15 credits a semester and meets for a max of 4 hours a day. MS1s in lecture pathway are pretty much in class or lab from 8am-5pm. Post bac starts a month after MS1s.

You are encouraged by LECOM to apply to other programs in addition to theirs for any number of reasons (you may realize LECOM doesn't fit what you want, you don't do well in post-bacc, etc.)

Acceptances for post-bacc students are contigent upon a number of factors. #1 being a cumulative 3.0 (classes end in April) and #2 an MCAT of 23 or higher.

The program is very open with the expectations and they are very helpful if you have questions about entering the post-bac program.

I'm considering this program for fall 2013 and have a few questions:

1) How do most people pay for this program? Loans? Are the loans easy to get? I'm working part time and make next to no money, and haven't even been able to get a credit card because of that, would that make it hard for me to get loans?

2) I have a 3.44cgpa and a 29 mcat, do I have a decent shot of getting accepted?

3) How does this program compare to other similar programs at western, touro-ca, or MD programs like drexel or georgetown? Pros/cons?

Thanks for your help.

1) How do most people pay for this program? Loans? Are the loans easy to get? I'm working part time and make next to no money, and haven't even been able to get a credit card because of that, would that make it hard for me to get loans?

How have you paid for undergrad? Student loans are super easy to get. You shouldn't be working if you do this program

2) I have a 3.44cgpa and a 29 mcat, do I have a decent shot of getting accepted?

Unless your science GPA is horrible...you really have no need for this program. You can get into DO schools with those stats. If you are wanting to get into MD your time is better spent at an MD post-bacc or SMP

3) How does this program compare to other similar programs at western, touro-ca, or MD programs like drexel or georgetown? Pros/cons?

It is far less expensive and is cut and dry about what it takes to get accepted. I got the run around from Touro and Western where they say nothing about acceptances, just intervies.

Thanks for your help.

How have you paid for undergrad? Student loans are super easy to get. You shouldn't be working if you do this program

Unless your science GPA is horrible...you really have no need for this program. You can get into DO schools with those stats. If you are wanting to get into MD your time is better spent at an MD post-bacc or SMP

It is far less expensive and is cut and dry about what it takes to get accepted. I got the run around from Touro and Western where they say nothing about acceptances, just intervies.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks for the response. I got scholarships for undergrad and my parents paid for the rest. Good to hear that student loans are easy to get. My science GPA is a 3.28. I know that my gpa is is fairly decent for DO, but I applied late and I don't have any upward trend, I got some Cs in junior and senior year. I guess I could just retake some undergrad classes before applying again if I don't get in anywhere this cycle, but I'm sick of not being in school. I would love to be able to take med school classes in an smp program.

I am interested in applying for this program. I really want to go to LECOM.
I have a 3.7 gpa a 3.6 gpa and I am taking the MCAT in Jan 2013. I took 1 AAMC number 7 and got a 9/5/9. ( I will be working hardcore on my VR- My vr scores have been higher I took the VR section of AAMC 3 and got a 7, of AAMC 4 and got an 8 and of AAMC 5 and got an 8)

My reason for applying is because I have already graduated in Aug. and I am ready to go back to school.

Last edited:
28 MCAT, 3.4 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA? Really scared that regular DO admissions won't accept me, so thinking of LECOM post-bacc as an option.

Just applied. I have an interview with LECOM Erie for the DO program in February, and if I don't get in to any DO schools I hope to attend the post bac program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey what are the chances of getting into the post bac with these scores:

3.0 GPA and a 16 MCAT but this includes multiple long term volunteering experiences and many leadership positions during undergraduate school?

I know you need a 23MCAT to get into the DO school. but is a 16MCAT okay enough to get into the post bac program?

It says on the website that a min of 23 MCAT is recommended and 3.0 GPA. So its possible I think to get accepted with a 16 but obviously the chances are not spectacular.

Hey what are the chances of getting into the post bac with these scores:

3.0 GPA and a 16 MCAT but this includes multiple long term volunteering experiences and many leadership positions during undergraduate school?

I know you need a 23MCAT to get into the DO school. but is a 16MCAT okay enough to get into the post bac program?

I think you will have to retake the MCAT, either before or during the post-bac program. I think that doing the post-bac program while also preparing to retake MCAT would be overwhelming. So, study up and retake it before you enter the post-bac! Best of luck on all!

I'm going to apply but I am taking the MCAT on the 24th. Results will obviously be 30 days later but should I go ahead and apply now and just send the MCAT score after I have the results or should I wait?

I'm going to apply but I am taking the MCAT on the 24th. Results will obviously be 30 days later but should I go ahead and apply now and just send the MCAT score after I have the results or should I wait?

You could go ahead and apply, but there really isn't a big hurry since it doesn't start to fill up until late spring anyway. In other words, apply if you have time, but don't feel like you have to hurry. I also have to take the MCAT but will wait to apply until I get my score. Good luck, and hope to see you in the fall!

So on the website it says you must have a 2.7 in all of the prerequisites, does this mean you cannot have less than a B in any of the classes to get accepted? That seems s little strict since most medical schools will allow prerequisites that you received at least a C or better in.

So on the website it says you must have a 2.7 in all of the prerequisites, does this mean you cannot have less than a B in any of the classes to get accepted? That seems s little strict since most medical schools will allow prerequisites that you received at least a C or better in.

I think it means that the average of prereqs should be a 2.7.

can some more current students comment of their success/failure of this program?

I'm hoping some of you could clear up some confusion on my part -
Are post-bacc students placed in the same classes as traditional medical students or are they placed in entirely separate classes?

I'm hoping some of you could clear up some confusion on my part -
Are post-bacc students placed in the same classes as traditional medical students or are they placed in entirely separate classes?

I believe you have a separate class that meets form 2-6 pm every day. It is only with other post bac students.

the curriculum on lecom's website makes no mention of the labs. how many labs are in this program? are they time consuming? how's the grading? i appreciate the input. thank you.

the curriculum on lecom's website makes no mention of the labs. how many labs are in this program? are they time consuming? how's the grading? i appreciate the input. thank you.

There are no labs for most classes. We had only one lab for microbiology and thats it. Most of the studying is just ppt presentations.
Grading is just A,B,C and Fail. A Grade is 90-100 (4.0), B is 80-89 (3.0), C is 70-79 (2.0). Some things to consider is like for example there are 20 questions for Anatomy in the first exam, if you get more than 2 question wrong you get a B ... its a straight up division of No. of Correct / Total No. of Question. This seems sometimes frustrating but quite interesting and challenging at the same time.

very helpful...thank you for the info and the insight! i appreciate it.

There are no labs for most classes. We had only one lab for microbiology and thats it. Most of the studying is just ppt presentations.
Grading is just A,B,C and Fail. A Grade is 90-100 (4.0), B is 80-89 (3.0), C is 70-79 (2.0). Some things to consider is like for example there are 20 questions for Anatomy in the first exam, if you get more than 2 question wrong you get a B ... its a straight up division of No. of Correct / Total No. of Question. This seems sometimes frustrating but quite interesting and challenging at the same time.

Do you have to get at least a B in all the classes to get accepted to the DO program? Or can an A compensate for a C?

Last edited:
I was going to Ohio and took a quick drive by around Erie to see LECOM. To past Erie students, do you feel that a car is mandatory? How do you get around to the LECOM wellness center or the grocery store without a car? I saw the LECOM main building on Grandview and the the Wellness Center on Peach St. but totally forgot about a Bayfront campus. I was hoping to be able to go to class, use the gym, and get groceries all by foot but that doesn't seem possible. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to sound too negative. I like LECOM because of its match list and the post bacc program seems great. The people in Erie were nice.

I was going to Ohio and took a quick drive by around Erie to see LECOM. To past Erie students, do you feel that a car is mandatory? How do you get around to the LECOM wellness center or the grocery store without a car? I saw the LECOM main building on Grandview and the the Wellness Center on Peach St. but totally forgot about a Bayfront campus. I was hoping to be able to go to class, use the gym, and get groceries all by foot but that doesn't seem possible. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to sound too negative. I like LECOM because of its match list and the post bacc program seems great. The people in Erie were nice.

Hmm I have a car and I think you probably need one to get around. But I think you can still survive somehow if you live in the apartments that are right in front of the main campus and make friends there who you can go with to do groceries or gym - but everyone likes to be independent. I would say it's not possible to be w/o a transport if you wanna go to gym, do groceries etc. You can always get cab but it's not feasible and they are not always available. Also there is minimal to no public transport.
So get a car, a cheap one that will work

Need some advice...should I apply now or wait for May MCAT? I have 2 MCATs already, first a 23 then an 18. Jamie from admissions said they take highest score from last 3yrs. I'm positive my new May score will be at or higher than 23. But I don't want to apply so latein cycle (June). Would you say apply now and update them or wait so my mcat is better? Cgpa of 3.2 sgpa 3.4 steep upward trend, 7mths DO shadowing, 2yrs nurse assistant, currently working as histotechnician. Thanks

What is the percentage of students that got into the DO program? Is it less than 70%?

it's 70% according to the other thread or maybe an earlier post in this thread iirc. it's my fault for constantly bringing up this thread. i did it because i figured more people particpated in this thread (maybe even subscribed) so if i want to reach out to past students i should use this. but i guess we'll give the newer thread a try next time.

it's 70% according to the other thread or maybe an earlier post in this thread iirc. it's my fault for constantly bringing up this thread. i did it because i figured more people particpated in this thread (maybe even subscribed) so if i want to reach out to past students i should use this. but i guess we'll give the newer thread a try next time.

70% is not bad but it seems like LMU_DCOM has a better deal since thes students take 2 undergrad classes along with MGA and histology. I heard it is not difficult to pull As in these undergrad classes.

My husband is a first year at lecom erie and I remember how nerve racking it was to move a family to a completely new place. If any of y'all are moving with a family and have questions about housing, financial assistance, or just want someone to introduce you around, let me know. We have an amazing group of "lecom widows" here to support each other in this journey :)

You can email me at [email protected] or find me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=17815296&ref=tn_tnmn

I sent the email and a facebook request. :) [email protected]

I have just gotten my acceptance letter for this program and am now trying to decide between this program and VCOM's post bacc which I received acceptance to last week, I think that I have generally heard that both programs or good, but I wanted to know from anyone who has been in the program if a 23 mcat is absolutly mandatory or if they are willing to accept lower and if they are, does the guarantee still stand provided I do well in the program or will I need to still interview and prove myself like any other applicant? I have a 21 mcat, which I feel must have been ok for them being I got my acceptance 2 weeks after sending my scores to them, but the biggest factor of if I choose this program or VCOM's is which one will I have the best chance or actually matriculating into their med school the following year. If anyone can give me some insight I'd appreciate it, thanks.

They DO NOT accept anyone with less than 23 in MCAT even If you are a stellar student in Postbac. Like if you get a 4.0 in postbac program and 22 in MCAT you would NOT get in.

congratulations adamst1227 on getting into the program! Do you mind sharing your gpa with us? I'm thinking about applying to that program as well

Is it too late to apply to the program? I am asking because I was just dismissed from NYCOM today (second semester first year) and I am looking to strengthen my core sciences before attempting medical school again. I've heard great things about this LECOM Program. LECOM was actually my #1 choice coming out of college but I didn't get off the wait-list. I actually live 30 min outside of Erie and would badly love a second chance to prove myself in a post-bac program. What do you guys think? I think it seems like the most logical way back into medical school and to make sure I excel once that does happen compared to just facing the regular application cycle.

Not too late. Go for it. Especially Because you live so close to Erie so maybe you will have very little living expenses and just pay the tuition which is Relatively very cheap.

Do I actually have a chance of getting into the postbac? 3.5 cum 3.5 sgpa from undergrad + my highest MCAT was a 27 +shadowing/volunteer + research + blah blah . For some reason I am not very confident in my application because of what just happened to me at NYCOM. From my understanding, rather than outright dismissing students that are struggling in 2 or so classes, LECOM offers these medical students a spot in the PostBac to earn back a spot in the medical school. I am really hoping they understand that this was a hiccup and will never happen again---its just provided me with more motivation to excel in the postbacc/medical school. LECOM is an awesome school with a fantastic reputation and I feel that maybe this may be a perfect match (I hope!!!)
Ok so I just wrote a book LOL

i think you'll get in. i'll put money on it. as you mentioned (and i am aware) this program is meant for some med students at lecom who for whatever reason struggled. you'll fit right in, brush up a little, and then get back into med school. just apply ASAP and you'll be fine.

Many times people who don't do well during their first 2 semesters at LECOM will be sent to the post-bac program and then get re-admitted to med school if they do well, so its pretty much the same situation you find yourself in.

That's good to know! I wonder how long it takes to hear back from the adcom