LECOM Here I come!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctortobee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah baby I'm going to LECOM!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats, I interview there tomorrow. I hope I have the same result as you!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there too! :) What pathway are you in? I'm doing PBL.

Congratulations everyone. If you have any questions about LECOM, let me know. There have been a few other posts about housing and the area that I have recently replied to with info. Good luck.

njdo

hey stacyg, I am an MSI in pbl, if you have any questions feel free to post..I know I had a really hard time finding pbl students to talk too before I started last year..
Congrats on your acceptance!

doctortobe--
congradulations! I will probably see you next fall.

Stacey--I will also be doing PBL--my first choice!
Why did you choose PBL? (Just curious--all other applicants I interviewed with preferred LDP).

Anyone--
Does anyone have advice on search websites/etc that show where housing is? I will be HPSP applicant and need to spend as little as possible on housing, and find a roomate. Is it possible to get apartment June? I have obligated military training 15 June--26 july, and LECOM starts on 1 August. Military training is in San Antonio TX. Any suggestions? I am in WA.

Also--any current Military LECOM or future Military LECOM students out there? I am interested in seeing if LECOM can arrange military clinical rotations (i would love to do one at Tripler, Madigan and Walter Reed).

Finally-LECOM mentioned in interview that a car was a neccesity. However, I currently do NOT have a vehicle. I am a student (graduate May---do not currently make more than ~7000/year) and have no cosigner. Anyone has suggestions? Feel free to email or PM

Congrats :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have to decide between LECOM and VCOM. I never thought I would have a choice.

Same boat here BadVB...

toughest decision of my life but couldn't pass up LECOM...

Thanks hermione. PBL looks great on paper, but it would be nice to get a little more information from someone who has actually been there. How do you like the program? Do you feel that you are learning more than the LDP students? Does it offer you more flexibility in your schedule?

Phil413ru- Look forward to meeting you next fall. I chose PBL because I felt it really was more geared toward my style of learning. I really enjoy learning and studying in groups, and I think PBL will really teach you to start thinking like a doc from day one. Getting into PBL was a big pull in deciding to go to LECOM.

The bottom line with pbl is this..if you don't learn from lecture, its the way to go. Otherwise, you sit in lecture all day then have to go home and learn on your own anyway. (Lecture is required for LDP students.)
With pbl, you meet 3x a week for 2 hours. After you assign your basic science chapters that are relevant to the case you are studying, you are on your own to read and learn the material. You seek help only if you need it. We also attend OMM lecture and lab on Wed am, and a clinical exam course once a week (Which is awesome, and LDP and ISP don't have)
Learning more, no, I'm sure LDP learns just as much, only in a different way. But I'm learning more this way than I personally would from LDP. It depends on how you learn.
And yes, your schecule is 100% more flexible..for instance I choose to study late into the night then sleep in.. it works for me. As long as you are disiplined and treat studying like a full time job, the hours you choose are up to you, which is nice.
Keep in mind, you will take Gross with the LDP students, and its in Lecture style. That really made me glad that i chose PBL! If you want to talk, or have more questions, pm me and I can give you my phone number..
Overall I love PBL and wouldn't have it any other way.. can't imagine sitting through 7-8 hrs of lectures every day for the next 2 years. Ugh! Welcome to LECOM!

I'm not a student at LECOM, but my boyfriend was both a student in the Post-bacc program and is now an MS-I.

One website to look at is www.homestore.com and search near the address of the school (that's how I found my place in philly) and that works all over.

Having gone to both UG and going to Med in a city, I am very jealous of his rent ($300 a month, I think) So the city is pretty cheap and it's a large sized apartment too. I think it's Granada Apartments. Plus, students live on the beach too. :)