LECOM-Erie Overview for those curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was being facetious. I meant there are a few goofy people at all of them. ;)

I can vouch for that fact that there are no clown decorations at Seton Hill.

I know, I was asking if the clowns at Erie and Seton Hill are as creepy as the ones in the cases at Bradenton ;)

I have yet to see any clowns of any sort at Erie but then again, I don't scrutinize the glass displays in every hallway while I'm walking to and from lecture.

This is a Bradenton thing... Erie has the creepy antique medical (aka torture) devices....

Members don't see this ad.

\This is a Bradenton thing... Erie has the creepy antique medical (aka torture) devices....
And a giant fish sculpture. The decor is bizarre in it's own unique way at Erie.

I must admit there really isn't any decor at all down here at SH. It's pretty spartan - no display cases and the walls are bare. Someday when I am a doctor I'll have to give them some money and specify that some weird paintings have to be displayed in return for the donation. <evil laugh>

Then when you see people on SDN complaining about the dancing banana paintings at SH, you'll know it was me.

Members don't see this ad :)
hehe... I love how this topic has morphed into discussing the relatively weird decor at the schools, versus the problems they may or may not have :)

After hearing recent events at LECOM, thought this thread deserved a bump.

Certain students in a specific pathway that missed the second smoking cessation lecture had the joyous time of having to come to school and copy the power points for the presentation by hand. The best part is that they had to face a wall while doing this.

LECOM: mind, body, spirit and treating adults like Bart Simpson

I will go to class, I will go to class, I will go to class

Certain students in a specific pathway that missed the second smoking cessation lecture had the joyous time of having to come to school and copy the power points for the presentation by hand. The best part is that they had to face a wall while doing this.

LOL that is f-in ridiculous. Gotta love LECOMs theory of "You're professionals now, so you need to wear a shirt and tie. What? No, you may not choose your own seat, you're not mature enough for that. You didn't come to class? Let me teach you maturity by giving you punishment appropriate for 3rd grade parochial students. HEY, that skirt is too short, change it and act like the professional that you are."

I don't mind LECOM at all because it's all about staying under the radar but things like that make me say: WTF?

Is this for real? Opening a new account for a post like this usually registers high on the bull$hit meter.

Is this for real? Opening a new account for a post like this usually registers high on the bull$hit meter.

i wouldn't doubt it...people here had to show up on a saturday for "detention" because they skipped out on a lecture. Ridiculous

i wouldn't doubt it...people here had to show up on a saturday for "detention" because they skipped out on a lecture. Ridiculous

(EDIT: Checked your post history and you are at LECOM. Hmm...)

hmmm to what? Didn't see your unedited post.

Was just asking you if you were at LECOM, then I saw you are a student at Seton Hill. Just said 'hmm' to myself as I realized that these weird things may actually be happening there.

I am also a student at Seton Hill. Wolverines is correct. There have been students down here sent to a sort of "detention" for missing scheduled activities. LECOM is run a little bit like a military academy. There are penalties for breaking rules. Just show up on time, when you are supposed to, in dress code and you will have no problems.

I am also a student at Seton Hill. Wolverines is correct. There have been students down here sent to a sort of "detention" for missing scheduled activities. LECOM is run a little bit like a military academy. There are penalties for breaking rules. Just show up on time, when you are supposed to, in dress code and you will have no problems.

She's spot on here...that's what you should be doing anyway so I think it gets blown out of proportion (I'm guilty of that in the post above).

Members don't see this ad :)
Skipping path/pharm/systems lectures is one thing and usually isn't a big deal. But skipping the mandatory lectures like smoking cessation or SPEC or guest lecturers is just plain idiotic. If the schedule says "mandatory attendance" at a place that already has mandatory attendance, then you know they will take attendance and be pissed if you skip. While I think the type of punishment is extreme, I don't think them being punished is unwarranted. I'm sure most schools would be pissed if you skipped mandatory events.

Guess we need to add another thing to the mantra of "follow the dress code, don't eat/drink in class, stay under the radar, and don't do anything stupid". How about "don't skip the lectures designated as mandatory attendance". Honesty can't believe that has to be said

Last edited:
I'm starting at Erie PBL this year and I have to say that the prospect of a dress code or ID badge doesn't really bother me. Nor can I understand how it could really bother anyone who has ever had a full time job. I am curious about the "rift" between the administration and the students. Why is that a problem for anyone? I can't imagine a situation where I would want to be buddy buddy with any kind of administration.

I'm starting at Erie PBL this year and I have to say that the prospect of a dress code or ID badge doesn't really bother me. Nor can I understand how it could really bother anyone who has ever had a full time job. I am curious about the "rift" between the administration and the students. Why is that a problem for anyone? I can't imagine a situation where I would want to be buddy buddy with any kind of administration.

The dress code doesn't really have anything to do with the rift - it's hard to explain until you experience it. Did you ever read Kafka? or 1984? Like that - if you follow the rules, pretend to be like them, and don't get noticed (all of which are very easy to do but rankle those who were brought up in cultures that rejected those values), you'll get through just fine. Congratulations on getting into medical school! The experience is mostly what you make of it - make it great!

Number of factors on why there's a "rift" and why it matters to some:

1) In any population of people, there is a proportion that doesn't get along with anyone. LECOM is (one of) the largest in terms of population. Whereas a class of 50 might have one of these folks, a class of 250 will have 5, and they have surprisingly loud voices and successful recruitment skills.

2) Some people have been raised to believe they're God's gift to humanity, the smartest man/woman alive, so naturally intelligent that they don't need to work. High school, probably even college, were a breeze for them. Then they got smacked with reality in med school, because med school isn't about brainpower and smarts, its about strategy, time management, and a commitment to excellence. It becomes time to blame everyone else, because for the last 20-ish years of their lives, they were too perfect to be at fault.

3) Not everyone loves the city of Erie.

4) Some people cherry pick the worst stories from one place and the best stories from another, and come to the conclusion that their lives are the worst.

5) See signature.

As for being "buddy buddy," there's the notion that medicine is a small world, and that connections will get you farther than ability and talents. It's true to some extent, and in many places it's important to be friendly with those in power for when you really need that last bump over someone else. It probably doesn't apply to 90% of students, but refer back to #2 and realize that everyone believes they're in the top 10%.

bleeker said:
Guess we need to add another thing to the mantra of "follow the dress code, don't eat/drink in class, stay under the radar, and don't do anything stupid". How about "don't skip the lectures designated as mandatory attendance". Honesty can't believe that has to be said
:thumbup: :laugh:

I skipped, literally, every lecture for the entire first semester of OMS-II and all of the digestive system. Up until a few weeks ago, the administration didn't care at all (I got a few slaps on the wrist last semester, but mainly it was just like, you choose to skip and you risk losing the points on any attendance quizzes.) It didn't become an issue this semester until our wonderful classmates started throwing us under the bus for skipping. Yes, LECOM has rules (some of which are ridiculous, but as we were told a few days ago, they're not up for discussion, ever), but you really have to screw up for them to crack down and enforce them strictly--our class has just been pretty darn good at that unfortunately. Take complaints from LECOM-Erie 2014 with a grain of salt--we've brought a lot of it on ourselves for pushing the administration just a little too far.

I have no idea how it will be for me next year, but one reason I tend not believe all the negative hype about LECOM is the fact that the people who complain don't seem to have any concrete complaints. They talk in generalities. I've heard lots of statements like "there's a 'feeling' or 'vibe' from administration". I've also seen many anecdotal statements...which doesn't mean they're not true, just that they're suspect.
Dress code and security badges? Faculty lecturing students on code of conduct issues? All seems pretty standard for any company I've ever worked for. It will be very interesting for me to actually get there and form my own opinions...

I have no idea how it will be for me next year, but one reason I tend not believe all the negative hype about LECOM is the fact that the people who complain don't seem to have any concrete complaints. They talk in generalities. I've heard lots of statements like "there's a 'feeling' or 'vibe' from administration". I've also seen many anecdotal statements...which doesn't mean they're not true, just that they're suspect.
Dress code and security badges? Faculty lecturing students on code of conduct issues? All seems pretty standard for any company I've ever worked for. It will be very interesting for me to actually get there and form my own opinions...

So the bolded words are why you are NOT going to have a problem.
1) You've worked before so you realize that a shirt and tie & professionalism won't kill you.
2) You've already realized that it's important to form your own opinions.

You'll be fine. I fanned the flames a bit up above but it was more joking than anything because, honestly, these "terrible" rules are child's play compared to actually working.

Another thing to mention is that PBL doesn't see the faculty nearly as much so the whole interaction with the faculty "vibe" won't be very prevalent. I love PBL and couldn't be happier. I'm sure you'll have a good experience.

PS, to all the other LECOMers I'm not trying to start an LDP/PBL/ISP/MD/DO/PhD/NP/CRNA/PA type war...I just like PBL; works for me.

So the bolded words are why you are NOT going to have a problem.
1) You've worked before so you realize that a shirt and tie & professionalism won't kill you.
2) You've already realized that it's important to form your own opinions.

You'll be fine. I fanned the flames a bit up above but it was more joking than anything because, honestly, these "terrible" rules are child's play compared to actually working.

Another thing to mention is that PBL doesn't see the faculty nearly as much so the whole interaction with the faculty "vibe" won't be very prevalent. I love PBL and couldn't be happier. I'm sure you'll have a good experience.

PS, to all the other LECOMers I'm not trying to start an LDP/PBL/ISP/MD/DO/PhD/NP/CRNA/PA type war...I just like PBL; works for me.

Awesome. I am really stoked to get there this summer.

Honestly, those things bother me much less when I'm being paid to deal with it. When I'm paying $30,000 in tuition + interest, it gets old fast.

For future generations, I am also a 2nd year LDPer and I can attest to some of the things the OP has stated. That being said, LECOM has had their hand forced a little bit on our year. One of my fellow students is a dirty rat. Some of the things LECOM has done, such as cracking down on attendance are due to someone TELLING on the class. I don't think they cared AS MUCH in previous classes because there was a sense of camaraderie between the students. Our class is a mix of too many gunners, too many people concerned about what other people are doing, and us minority who are just trying to get by the first 2 years so we can learn real medicine in 3rd and 4th.

I am very grateful to LECOM for giving me the chance to become a physician. I am around the top of my class, I have great friends and I study hard but I also realize that this school is a business, maybe more so than other schools. They are going to worry about how/what we do because that will sell their brand better, but it will also come off as it has on some students on this forum. Mandatory attendance is annoying sometimes, but you can always just read or search the internet. As long as you are there, you will never have a problem.

Keep your head low, don't post stupid stuff on facebook, study hard, make really good friends and LECOM will be a nice, cheap school to obtain a degree to do what all of us have dreamed of for a long time.

Good luck to all future readers

For future generations, I am also a 2nd year LDPer and I can attest to some of the things the OP has stated. That being said, LECOM has had their hand forced a little bit on our year. One of my fellow students is a dirty rat. Some of the things LECOM has done, such as cracking down on attendance are due to someone TELLING on the class. I don't think they cared AS MUCH in previous classes because there was a sense of camaraderie between the students. Our class is a mix of too many gunners, too many people concerned about what other people are doing, and us minority who are just trying to get by the first 2 years so we can learn real medicine in 3rd and 4th.

You make a good point. Most of the strict rules and punishments were made because of things the students did and my class is no exception. Luckily we had great camaraderie and didn't have as many gunners. We never really had any issues with students ratting us out.

As someone alluded to earlier, the current generation has always been told they are special and can do anything. While this may lead to ambition, it leads some students to think they can get away with trying to circumvent the rules that are in place. We have heard stories of students changing their rotation schedule on their own, doing a different rotation than they signed up for, students doctoring their evals. We get emails telling us not to have guests at the hospital supplied housing, not to be on our cell phones during rotations, etc. This is all common sense stuff, but we get told this because students do these things and the hospitals complain.

If you just abide by the rules at LECOM, on rotations, as a physician, then you shouldn't have any issues. Also, don't post any pertinent patient information (even age or sex) on facebook. Hospitals are cracking down on this and firing people (including physicians) for HIPAA violations.

This was one of my biggest gripes about Bradenton. PBL sounds like an awesome way of learning, but what are you paying 30k per year for? You aren't &quot;taught&quot; anything (except anatomy, which I think is lecture based). From what I understand, the faculty only monitors the PBL sessions, and only jumps in when necessary. I just don't know how the tuition is justified. Yes, you get a degree and can practice medicine, but for 30k per year I'd expect a bit more. This is the model of a business, not a school.

[...]I just can't justify the tuition when YOU are doing most of the work. And it's not like either LECOM offers many amenities...I guess that's why their tuition is less than other med schools. </p>
inb4illegallysmoothflamesme

Damned if you do damned if you don't. I suspect this point of view is why mandatory attendence exists at some schools.

Damned if you do damned if you don't. I suspect this point of view is why mandatory attendence exists at some schools.

I was thinking about that the other day and I'm thinking it's actually more expensive to run a PBL curriculum than lecture. If each faculty member has 3 groups of 8, you need one faculty member for every 24 students. Then add in all the additional faculty for stuff like anatomy, embryo, omm, h&p and all the lecture based courses plus the admin people. Even if it's not more it can't be cheap enough to be used as a model for significantly increased profit. I feel like we have a TON of faculty down here.

I haven't taken the time to do the exact math yet because I really don't care that much. Just thought it'd be good food for thought.

I really want to know why DSP's tuition isn't cheaper. Photocopying learning objectives can't be that expensive. They don't even spiral bound them like they do for PCSP. Just a staple in the corner.

I really want to know why DSP's tuition isn't cheaper. Photocopying learning objectives can't be that expensive. They don't even spiral bound them like they do for PCSP. Just a staple in the corner.

lol, you should at least get spiral-bound. Maybe THAT is where the profit is.

I just think it's weird that people will complain if class is mandatory but then complain if they don't have to go to class ??? I think everyone would be happier if the school paid a professor (with our tuition) to teach an empty room so we could choose not to go. I really don't get it.

I just think it's weird that people will complain if class is mandatory but then complain if they don't have to go to class ??? I think everyone would be happier if the school paid a professor (with our tuition) to teach an empty room so we could choose not to go. I really don't get it.

When you are in med school, you will see that med students just like to complain. Sometimes the complaints are legit and sometimes they are ridiculous.

To the OP and all the other detractors

When I was a first and second year, I hated the school, the admin, everything about it except the fact that they gave me a chance at becoming a physician. Now I'm a 4th year, matched and close to graduation. And I can honestly say it's not that bad. I remember the hours upon hours of bitching and complaining to my classmates about everything the school does but in the end they will make you a physician.

Second year is rough, don't get me wrong. It blows chunks but its part of the process.

In the end things are what you make out of them and you can keep complaining or you can accept what you can't change and do what is necessary to move on.

What do recreational drugs and ADHD have to do with the reproductive system? Absolutely nothing, unless you're at LECOM. Our school is a whole lot of fail all rolled into four years of medical school hell.

What do recreational drugs and ADHD have to do with the reproductive system? Absolutely nothing, unless you're at LECOM. Our school is a whole lot of fail all rolled into four years of medical school hell.

Yeah. I can't believe the amount of crap the admin has jammed into the last preclinical semester. I now hate Tuesdays thanks to the pharm 1 liner crap, preceptorship, sim man, suture clinic, etc.

Are the sim man and suture clinic LDP-only things or Erie-only things?

Are the sim man and suture clinic LDP-only things or Erie-only things?

Last year the sim man was for every Erie student. It was neat in theory (and looked cool) but was a waste of another afternoon.

The pharm one liners are extremely helpful for the COMLEX. The pharm one liners test is a waste of time.

The suture clinic and gloving/gowning is very helpful for those who have never experienced either. I was suturing on the first case on my first surgery block. The doc just told me to close the incision and I did (although I was much, much slower than the doc).

Last year the sim man was for every Erie student. It was neat in theory (and looked cool) but was a waste of another afternoon.

The pharm one liners are extremely helpful for the COMLEX. The pharm one liners test is a waste of time.

The suture clinic and gloving/gowning is very helpful for those who have never experienced either. I was suturing on the first case on my first surgery block. The doc just told me to close the incision and I did (although I was much, much slower than the doc).

My main complaint is you can't opt out of the suture clinic if you did sururing in em club or surgical club. 5 hrs later I learned how to put on a gown and put in about 10 sutures into a pig foot. Not much to show when I could have been reading first aid for 5 hrs.

I am graduating from LECOM and I can say that there are quite a bit of "annoying" little rules but none of them are really deal breakers. You will study hard and learn a lot, but it is what you make of it. Lot of hours in the class room if you are LDP. Pbl and Isp will spend a lot less in the classroom and more on there own. It evens out in the end. If you hate cold weather then you will probably not like Erie. If your a big city person you probably will find Erie to be a little bland on options for entertainment. It's basically two years and then you can do rotations wherever.

Last edited:
Hi people, have a quick question for you all, are lectures recorded? thanks!

Hi people, have a quick question for you all, are lectures recorded? thanks!

They say you can audio record lectures if you want. After about a month people recorded them and didn't ask anymore.

I doubt they will take video of the lectures and put it online for students to download mostly because then even more students will skip out of class and if you are LDP they want everyone in class

My main complaint is you can't opt out of the suture clinic if you did sururing in em club or surgical club. 5 hrs later I learned how to put on a gown and put in about 10 sutures into a pig foot. Not much to show when I could have been reading first aid for 5 hrs.

Yea I felt the same. I was an officer in SOSA so I helped run suture clinics. I used the suture time to do advanced techniques, which has been helpful on rotations. But in the end, it used up an afternoon that could be better spent studying for boards.

They say you can audio record lectures if you want. After about a month people recorded them and didn't ask anymore.

I doubt they will take video of the lectures and put it online for students to download mostly because then even more students will skip out of class and if you are LDP they want everyone in class

OK, thanks!

Yea I felt the same. I was an officer in SOSA so I helped run suture clinics. I used the suture time to do advanced techniques, which has been helpful on rotations. But in the end, it used up an afternoon that could be better spent studying for boards.

In the grand scheme of things one afternoon isn't going to make or break you for boards. You probably spend more time procrastinating when you say you are supposed to be studying for boards than anything else

Nope. But if you "ask" permission you can record. I know a number of people that would record lectures and then take notes on the power points in more detail later.

Nope. But if you "ask" permission you can record. I know a number of people that would record lectures and then take notes on the power points in more detail later.

Got it. Thanks!

I have a question for any current or past LECOM students: how do you feel the EDUCATION is at LECOM? Specifically I am asking about LDP since that's the program I am interested in and have been accepted into, but comments on OMM/OPP and other courses that everyone takes together would also be appreciated. Did you/do you feel prepared for COMLEX exams, rotations, residency, and ultimately being a practicing physician?

I hear a lot of people having really negative impressions about the rules, administration, "help" with rotations, etc., but what I am really concerned about is the idea that there is high faculty turn-over and lectures that are not helpful. Does LDP also employ the use of case studies at all? From what I understand, most programs (other schools) with traditional lecture-based curriculum do intersperse case studies - which I think is good, but PBL just isn't my overall choice of learning method.

Thanks for any input you might have!

To cel2016:

Overall I am impressed with the high quality of education at LECOM. The Anatomy faculty is outstanding and includes 2 of the absolutely best teachers I have had in my entire academic life. LECOM-Erie consistently scores among the highest in anatomy shelf exams nationwide--and is taught clinically with incorporation of radiology/imaging from day 1. This is how anatomy SHOULD be taught and is a very good foundation for OMM and going into systems later.
Micro/Immuno, Biochem and medical genetics are very strong. Physiology leaves much to be desired. Pharmacology is 50-50: some profs are great, some not so much.
I had no idea that LECOM would be so heavily osteopathic. It is. The force of A.T. Still is heavily revered here and OPP is strongly emphasized. I'm not very good at it but am learning it. Do I agree with all of it? No, but you must be able to accept the primacy of osteopathic principles if you choose to matriculate here. At least for years 1-2 ;)
Overall I'm pleased. It is hard. It is stressful. I have a different perspective from most of my classmates as I have been out of the classroom working as a PA for 11 yr prior to starting med school last July. I had to relearn how to be a student again. I started out as a DSP student but that was very stressful for me. I returned to LDP in January and it has been much easier even though I have to be at class at 8am. ;)
Good luck!

Not even that...we got a digital file of objectives and had to print & bind it ourselves. ;)