LECOM Class of 2009 acceptance thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Everyone,
I too was recently accepted at Erie. Looking forward to meeting everyone! Thanks Chris for directing me to this site. I had no clue it existed. I wish I could make it up this week to meet people and check out Erie but I gotta work and I live in CT. All I have seen is the airport, the hotel and the school. So any info people post on places to rent is great....
Cheers
Amanda :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, I went to Erie to look at some places a few weeks ago. Lakeview, Scenery Hills and Willow Wood Village ( I think that's the name) have good two bedroom townhouses.

I recently got accepted to LECOM school of pharmacy, I am interested in that school bc of their 3 yr program, Can anyone tell me hwo the school is?? has anyone been accepted to the class of 2008?? IS anyone attending it starting fall of 2005?? Please help me!! I ll really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)
junekom said:
I recently got accepted to LECOM school of pharmacy, I am interested in that school bc of their 3 yr program, Can anyone tell me hwo the school is?? has anyone been accepted to the class of 2008?? IS anyone attending it starting fall of 2005?? Please help me!! I ll really appreciate it.

Congrats june, my freinds tell me the Pharm program is extremely competive. I think there must be a page just for the pharmacy class under pharmacy, but if you read through this site there is a lot of information that is applicable to both our classes, houseing, gym facilities, clubs, ect. It sounds like the the schooling is going to intense for all of us, and knowing a few pharm students i think will be kinda of a relief.

jim

hey there,

I got accepted on the 17th of February, i know i am kinda behind, but i figured better late than never.

I was also wondering, do you need to have high speed internet access for LECOM? and what are some of the apartment complexes to stay away from, in other words, what are some of the complexes that are in the LECOM "Hall of Shame" ??

What are the best places to get a job in Erie? I will be there after graduation on May 1, and i need to get a job for the summer. any leads at all would be greatly appreciated.

Hey fellow Lecom students I have a question????? Why do other osteopath students continually make negative remarks about our school???

eldarion,

congrats on your acceptance...im also a pitt grad (aug '04) and am currently in the post-bacc program at lecom. im accepted to the pbl pathway.

high-speed internet is available at every seat in the lecture halls, and other locations throughout the building. you'll need a laptop that can hook up...see the lecom website for specifics. as for internet access at home, it's a personal preference. as a pbl'er, i will definitely hold on to my internet access since i won't be on campus everyday.

as im sure you have read, most people say avoid granada apts. there are a number of nice smaller complexes along w. 38th street...just drive around and look for "for rent" signs. as a general rule, try to avoid the east side of peach street. its not south central, but its not beverly hills either.

jobs are a personal preference too, but there are a lot of stores and restaurants on upper peach (similar to the area surrounding the mall at robinson and robinson town centre). you can also check www.goerie.com and search the classifieds.

hope some of this helps.

kevin

just checking to see how everyone's apartment hunting went last week. i'll be going out there next week so any feedback, tips, etc would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

just wanted to see how the meeting went this past weekend, did people find good places to live?
i'm heading up this monday and tuesday to house hunt.

LECOMer's -

Anyone interested in receiving information concerning my apartment search please send me a PM with your e-mail address so that I may send you the word document that I have put together. I have included detailed prices and information of 11 apartment complexes. I have also rated the apartment complexes I have visited based upon my own personal opinions of the establishments. Good luck to everyone in their apartment search.

---

Chris

I thought I would tell you guys what I did. I went to summit heights its in the mall area and bought a mobile home from summit heights mobile home and will be living in the park there. The trailer note and my rent combine will only be about 400$ a month!! The park is very nice and mainly older retirees live there so its very quiet and study friendly. I figure I will resale the home in a couple of years and come out even if not ahead.

you would have to pay your own utilities with a mobil home right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Beware of trailer homes. They are a depreciating Asset. You are much better off buying a 2 or 3 bedroom older home and sharing it with someone to keep the bills low. Your interest rate on a stick built home is 2 to 3 points lower and the stickbuilts always increase in value. My first home was a trailer and I must say it was difficult to sale, but in my case I did extensive property enhancments thereby allowing me to break even. I have placed a contract on a home in the millcreek area on a 1997 4 bedroom stickbuilt home. My monthly payments will be approximately 1300. Kinda high for most students but I have a wife and children with me. I found several nice mid 70's home in the same general area for the low 700 per month (4 bedroom as well).
With a trailer you might have to take a loss to unload it in 4 years, unless you keep it as rental property which can be scary if you are not in a close area to check on your property often. Good luck to all in finding a place to call home for the next 4 years.

gwynnetn said:
Beware of trailer homes. They are a depreciating Asset. You are much better off buying a 2 or 3 bedroom older home and sharing it with someone to keep the bills low. Your interest rate on a stick built home is 2 to 3 points lower and the stickbuilts always increase in value. My first home was a trailer and I must say it was difficult to sale, but in my case I did extensive property enhancments thereby allowing me to break even. I have placed a contract on a home in the millcreek area on a 1997 4 bedroom stickbuilt home. My monthly payments will be approximately 1300. Kinda high for most students but I have a wife and children with me. I found several nice mid 70's home in the same general area for the low 700 per month (4 bedroom as well).
With a trailer you might have to take a loss to unload it in 4 years, unless you keep it as rental property which can be scary if you are not in a close area to check on your property often. Good luck to all in finding a place to call home for the next 4 years.
Yes I know they depreciate but we are buying the home with a home equity lone with a low apr therefore can pay more towards the priciple. As long as we break even that will be fine with me.

thanks for the info, i think i will stick to searching for an apartment

I am looking for a place to stay fror 12 weeks in the beginning of the IsP program this year. If any suggestions I would appriciate it. thanks

jjmcentee@hotma said:
I've decided to elect myself temp. class president. My first rule is that everyone has to wear name tags with their screennames during the first week of school.

and I officially retire as class president.

Who died and made you pope! Ha!

Hi everyone. I am a fellow 2009 LECOMER and I just wanted to introduce myself!! I am actually a transfer student from another osteopathic medical school, but I am going to be doing the entire first year over since I had to leave for medical reasons. I will be moving to Erie at the end of May and taking a job dissecting at LECOM for the summer. If anyone is going to be around in Erie this summer let me know, I'd love to meet you!

are we all crazy??!! Erie got 3 feet of snow on sunday!! it's april, it's supposed to be spring....what are we getting ourselves into? :)

Well not quite 3 feet...closer to 2...but it's 60 today!

I will also likely be here for the Class of 2009. I've been here for the past year so if anyone wants any information about erie ask away. I started another thread for our class because this one was getting kind of long. Mostly so that people can get to know each other before next year; still a bit early for that though.

esmith24 said:
are we all crazy??!! Erie got 3 feet of snow on sunday!! it's april, it's supposed to be spring....what are we getting ourselves into? :)

You have no idea...

I live in Buffalo. Erie is like summer vacation to me.

Bandit said:
I live in Buffalo. Erie is like summer vacation to me.
don't worry i'm not one of those west coasters or southerners who can't handle the snow...i grew up in rochester- i understand winter :) but that doesn't mean i like it....

for all the current LECOM folk, would you say that a car with AWD or 4wd is a necessary thing? i'm sure it does help but how many of you have easily gotten by the long erie winters without it?

mrm1682 said:
for all the current LECOM folk, would you say that a car with AWD or 4wd is a necessary thing? i'm sure it does help but how many of you have easily gotten by the long erie winters without it?
I drive a VW Jetta, and it goes fine in the snow. After so many inches, everyone is pretty much in the same boat. ;)

P.S. I grew up in Pittsburgh winters and have survived my first Erie winter as a current Post-Bacc. Experience with winter driving is a huge bonus.

mrm1682 said:

After having an explorer for the 4 years in erie (postbac+MSI-MSIII) I had to get rid of it and went back to a Civic hatchback. I had one in undergrad and took it up skiing every weekend into Northern Idaho or back home in Western WA (for the whiners about the snow in erie/great lakes region....these areas get snow AND have Mtn passes....not just flat grounds). Aside from the potential depth issues, I never had a problem with the civic this past winter. It never got stuck, and I felt more comfortable behind the wheel of it as its a stick rather than the crappy automatic that explorer was.
Just get some snow tires. I will say....dont buy a new car, the salt will eat you alive!! And make sure you wash your car every other week or so, to get the salt off.
stomper

Hello all! My name is Dave, and I will be moving out to Erie from Colorado this summer. I will be enrolled in the LDP. Does anyone else have a long move to make?

I will be out there at the end of May, and probably looking for a quick job to kill time before the semester starts. I have to secure housing yet, but would like to meet other 1st years.

When do classes / orientation begin for LECOM?

Have apartment...roomate wanted:

I'm leaving Erie next month and my roomate is interested in renting to another LECOM student. It's a 2 bedroom apartment and you'd be getting the master-bedroom (fully furnished) with its own bathroom. The owner is not a student. The place is very clean, close to LECOM and very afordable. I've been there for 2yrs and don't have any complaints. There is also a two car garage (one for you).

If you're interested in more info just send me a PM.

orientation is july 27 and we start classes aug 2nd. so much for a nice summer :(

My wife has some rotations to do in Jamestown our first year. Mapquest says its a good 1 hour from Erie. Can any current Erie folk recommend a good place to live between the two cities.

Findley Lake looks good on the map, but open to opinions.

Also, I see that orientation starts on the 27th of July, but someone mentioned that PBL starts earlier, is this just misinformation, rumor?

j

jjmcentee@hotma said:
My wife has some rotations to do in Jamestown our first year. Mapquest says its a good 1 hour from Erie. Can any current Erie folk recommend a good place to live between the two cities.

Also, I see that orientation starts on the 27th of July, but someone mentioned that PBL starts earlier, is this just misinformation, rumor?

j

I have a cousin that lived in Erie for a couple years, and according to her, the closer to the lake you get, the less the snow.... Has anybody heard that? About the location between Erie and Jamestown, I heard that Meadville was nice.

titusracerx said:
I have a cousin that lived in Erie for a couple years, and according to her, the closer to the lake you get, the less the snow.... Has anybody heard that? About the location between Erie and Jamestown, I heard that Meadville was nice.

It's true. The snow tends to hop-scotch over the lake shore, and lands farther inland (near Edinboro). It is a difference of an inch or two though... nothing substantial.

jjmcentee@hotma said:

j

Fidlney is a nice little town....not sure how much homes are or rent is there. Since your doing PBL (right?) you wont have to come into Erie everyday, which would be nice. The snow gets quite bad there out there and I86 to I90 on in to Erie is occasionally bad in NY and PA.....could take you well over 1.5hr to make the normally 20min commute.
On the plus....your near PeeknPeak....excellent golfing, good fine dining, and a nice place to learn to ski if youve never skied or boarded....otherwise (if your a good skiier/boarder....avoid it like the plague).
stomper

jjsmalls said:
It's true. The snow tends to hop-scotch over the lake shore, and lands farther inland (near Edinboro). It is a difference of an inch or two though... nothing substantial.

Dunno....Id say an annual avg about 40"+ more rather substantial. Doesnt seem like much on a day to day basis....but it is quite a bit more. If you stay north of the snow belt (roughly I90...as it sits on the ridge), youll get less snow....your in the shadow of the lake effect.
stomper

One Bedroom apartment available in Mid July. Close to school, safe. Beautiful new ikea furniture included. Email [email protected] if interested.
Apartment is less than 2 mins away from school.

Here are the five rules for Driving in the snow:

1. Go slow
2. Go slow
3. Go slow
4. Give plenty of distance for braking (city driving)
5. Make sure you are going slow and.........
Don't brake before a curve (otherwise you will be going straight)

Allright....For all you Erie folk.....
Ive got an almost brandnew (less than 90days) Admiral by Maytag Washer and Electric dryer that needs to be sold ASAP. Im asking $275 each.
Im moving on May 8th out of Erie forever.....if anyone is interested let me know...PM me....
stomper

Green912 said:
I have a few pictures of apartment complexes from when I was hunting for a place. Just send me a PM w/your e-mail address if you're interested in them.
Congrats to all!

Hi, could you send me those pictures if you still have them?