LECOM class of 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey there guys and gals. i'll be moving from dallas this thursday and i'll be in erie july 4th. does anyone from erie know if the minor league baseball team has a game on the 4th? i know, a random question but i'm a baseball junkie and if the cubs make the playoffs again this year i'm going to have to cancel the cable or my school work might suffer. anyways, it would be nice to meet some of you before school because i don't know anyone close to erie, or pa for that matter. congrats to everyone, and i hope to meet everyone soon.

anyone can reach me at [email protected] if you want to hang out before school, or catch a game.

adrian

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone. I was just wondering if anyone is going to be living in Lake View apartments of Village on the Pacific? I just finalized my lease with Village on the Pacific over the phone today. Although I won't be coming to Erie until the middle of July because I have to finish up stuff here in Boston first. I look forward to seeing you all.

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm living there with my roommate Nneka (also in our class :) ). Anyone else????

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had information on how many people were on the waiting or alternate list for the florida campus this fall. I took my MCAT this april and the information took too long to get back, so I just recieved my letter that I was put on the alternate list. Does anyone have any info on how this works or what ones odds would be of getting in. Thanks for any help you can give.

Joseph

No game at home on the 4th, but will be a 'buck night' on the 5th. Every time the Erie Seawolves play on Mondays at home is 'buck night'. Pretty cool. All general admission seats are $1, and also, beers, hot dogs, popcorn, and sodas are a $1 too!!! General good time... However, seats on non-buck nights cost only $5 and cushioned seats go for $8, a steal anywhere at a hometown arena.

As a suggestion, why don't all of us send out some input on a time/date for a gathering? If we don't, it won't happen, at least until orientation! I live less than a mile from the school and would be glad to ask Student Affairs to send something out, if we can cook something up! Some of the suggestions, up till now, have been Presque Isle (beach party), Joe Roots Grill (on Presque Isle, but not outside), TGIF's, Oakwood Cafe (near LECOM), El Canelos (local Mexican, near LECOM), Plymouth Tavern (Downtown), or any others, yet to be announced! Let's settle on one before orientation, since, after that, we'll all be in crunch time! I'd suggest the weekend before orientation (7/23-25/04), since most will be in town by then, or maybe the weekend before (7/16-18/04). Same time frame for the talked about motorcycle ride, for those who have or can borrow a motorcycle! Let's do it!!!!!!!

The 2004-2005 booklist has been posted on the LECOM website. Any suggestions about which options of books should be chosen?

Hey guys!

I'm a soon to be erie resident and a part of the class of '08. I would love to meet some new faces before orientation so if you guys do settle on a gathering before classes start let me know. :)

sunnysocal said:
The 2004-2005 booklist has been posted on the LECOM website. Any suggestions about which options of books should be chosen?

I'm PBL so I can only really comment on anatomy/histo/embryo.
1) If things proceed as last year, the only TEXT(not atlas) you will need is Dr. Buck's notes(sold in the bookstore).The notes the other profs provide via powerpoints are perfect for what you need. If you must or really think you need to buy one once classes start, buy BRS anatomy.
2) Atlases depend on your taste. I bought Rohen and Netter because a second yr gave me a good deal. I used Netter for clear pictures and Rohen for realistic views. No matter what you get, nothing in the lab is dissected as well as it is depicted in any book. The anatomy profs will tell you that some books are great for head and neck while others are perfect for upper limb. It varies big time.
3) For embryo I used Dr. Krueger's notes....BUT Krueger is going to FL. You'll more than likely have Dr. Kulesza for embryo and his powerpoints and notes are good. Feel the class out for awhile and see if you need supplemental help before buying any books.
4) Dr. Snow takes his stuff out of Ross Histology. I used an older edition and still got an A. Snow trys not to make Histo too hard.

For the rest of the year(for all you PBLers), you'll never hear the same book list from more than 2 people. I personally own all of the texts(bought some at discount) and didn't use any of the review books all year and did fine. Some people study only from the review books while others mix it up. Your big bro/sis will probably be helpful when you need some ideas. Don't buy anything now unless you get it at discount.
Feel free to ask me questions or PM me,
Dr_Sax

Hey

I agree 100% with what Dr. Sax said...Only Buck's notes as a "text", Netter for the drawings and relationships, Rohen to study for practicals, and nothing for embryo. I bought the histo text and it made a wonderful bookend....that's it.

Some people, like myself, preferred Clemente's Anatomy book (comparable to Netter's). The differences are in pictures are probably minor, but each page has a small paragraph of important nerves, vessels..etc. I actually read very little of it during gross, but maybe it'll come in handy later on. Also the profs liked Clemente over the others for head/neck.

Rohen is a MUST BUY

i would really really really advise waiting until you get to school before you buy books. i bought them all ahead of time, and the only book i ever used were my netter and rohen atlas. some of you will want the books, but many of you will never use them . . . and if you ever need to look something up, i'm sure your big will let you borrow, or a friend, etc. the only books you'll need right from the start is an atlas or 2 (i recommend 2). i wasted almost $1,000 by buying everything else. . . :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to ALL you guys with LECOM experience that are helping us with book info! It has really made me think twice and consider my options.

As for the pre-orientation get together, I think something easy with no real planning is the best way to go so my vote is for Fridays = Good food; Good drinks; Good time ;) I know of several people that will not be in until that weekend prior to orientation, like myself, so I would suggest that we go with the original plan that I heard and have it the night prior to orientation, Tues, July 27. I guess Monday would be fine too in case people want a full day of rest before orientation....

we need a serious time for this ride.

Yes, thank you to everyone for the advice regarding books.

Another question I am curious about is what health insurance people have decided on. The school plan (Blue Cross) seemed a bit expensive and I found a comparable plan through Aetna for about $20 less per month. Anyone else have any ideas?

Hey

I have an el-cheapo plan from American Community. It's around 60 bucks a month with a fairly high deductible. I rarely get sick so I went the cheap route.

Congrats to all you new LECOM students.............But be prepared to put up with an absurd amount of B.S. from the faculty, staff, security, cafeteria employees, and the administration. Not to mention to the fact that you will be milked for every possible dime, while your education is at best disorganized and mediocre.

Anduril,
I'm sorry you're so unhappy with LECOM (as you have made your feelings known on THREE separate threads), but as a fourth year having done rotations with students from other schools, I would not say that our education is mediocre. We are right on target with, if not above, students from other schools.

There is some bullsh*t that goes on at LECOM, but I'm sure that's true for any school.

Congrats to all you guys who got into LECOM. Hopefully you have a better experience than Anduril obviously has had. :D

There's crap that goes on at every school.

It just sounds like Anduril just didn't pick the right school. He/she probably would be unhappy at ANY school.

I AM SO SICK OF THIS BULL----!!! people, grow the heck up, there are stupid unfair things that go on at every school, do we not know this by now??? PLEASE STOP WASTING MY TIME POSTING UP MEANINGLESS THREADS. if you have a story, then fine, but share it with us so we don't have to think that what you are saying is total bs.

I agree with everyone! If you were unsatisfied with lecom then that sucks, but at least dont try to freak us out before we even go there. We chose this school for a reason and are happy that we were given a chance to go here. So if you dont have anything nice to say about the school, dont bother to say it. I for one am excited to come and get a good education. And from experience I know that its the person who make their education, the school just helps guide the student.

Wow is it July already? Time for more of those "let's scare the MSIs right before they start school" threads.
In one ear and out the other my friends.

Anduril said:
Congrats to all you new LECOM students.............But be prepared to put up with an absurd amount of B.S. from the faculty, staff, security, cafeteria employees, and the administration. Not to mention to the fact that you will be milked for every possible dime, while your education is at best disorganized and mediocre.
I'm guessing you went to LECOM? What happened to make you unhappy? Just curious.

Just wondering if anyone is interested in golf, disc golf, bass fishing, soccer, or ultimate frisbee? I don't know how much time I'll have to do anything before school starts, but I certainly like to get out and do stuff to get my mind off the books from time to time. At some point I'd like to try and play some indoor soccer at Family First Sports Park. If anyone is interested in the above let me know and maybe we can get together and play sometime.

Bret ([email protected])

I'm totally interested in disc golf, ultimate frisbee, and soccer...what about tennis anyone? We'll have to find time elonDO

LECOM has an ultimate frisbee club...there is an indoor soccer league...basketball teams...Saturday morning football...you'll have time to have fun!

sunnysocal, I also play tennis. Been a while since I've played, but I played varsity tennis all throughout high school.

I'm definitely into ultimate frisbee, we should get a class of 08 team together :thumbup:

Never played Ultimate Frisbee, but it seems really like it'd be really GREAT! Used to play soccer (LOVE IT!), but.... haven't played in ages :oops: So we'd have to see how that goes - HA! But I'm totally game!

Also, just have one more question pertaining to books: Any ISPs out there that wanna help me??? I'm gonna be an ISP in the fall and when talkin to Dr. Troop on campus during my interview visit it seemed like I should have most books because they make tons of references to them in our module outlines.... Anyone, please just let me know ;)

Thanks!

Hey

I don't think the Ultimate Frisbee games have specific teams...email goes out every week to faculty and students...if you want to play, you just show up.

is there a basketball or volleyball team?

hey everyone! so when do we want to get together? I think the monday before orientation would be good- the 26th. my vote is for TGIfridays but i'm up for anything. what does everyone else think. we should plan it soon b/c it getting so close for school to start- i can't believe how fast this summer went! anyone else feeling a little excited and nervous?

-jenny

Yup there are both....I think they are run through Family First

The information I had (via another thread) was that we informally decided on Tuesday the 27th @ Friday's...so basically Fridays on Tuesday...kinda confusing...that date is cool with me...if we start spreading this date, it will be easier to get people to structure their schedules...

Hey guys has anyone tried to email Portia1 at her aol address to rsvp for the dinner on the 27th. I tried emailing her twice but it got sent back both times.

26th or the 27th? doesn't matter to me. where is tgif anyways? if anyone wants to go out let me know, i'm in erie doing a whole lot of nothing.

ac

Futbolene said:
The information I had (via another thread) was that we informally decided on Tuesday the 27th @ Friday's...so basically Fridays on Tuesday...kinda confusing...that date is cool with me...if we start spreading this date, it will be easier to get people to structure their schedules...

hey what other thread was that from? i always just check this one. whatever date is fine with me though! ;)

i think tuesday the 27th would be better just because i know there are some people drivin up that day. I am a former post bacc and I know some of my friends who did the program with me and got in would like to meet everyone too. TGIF is on upper peach, can't miss it, it's where the huge movie theater is, kohl's, best buy is across the street....

I suggest that you guys go out and rent the movie "Gross Anatomy." It's a drama/comedy from the early 90's or so. It will scare the crap out of you, but it's pretty realistic as to what med school is like.

Gross Anatomy is a fantastic movie. I would certainly recommend it to anyone.

Funny.... I own it :p

btw - my vote for the get-together is the 27th (I've already been spreading that date around for Fridays)

Are we gonna let Fridays know that we're having a get together...cuz thats gonna be a lot of ppl that they're going to have to accommodate.

Hello! In regards to Dinner I will be calling Fridays to give them a rounded off head count so please email me at Nicci325I@aol or send me a message on this forum so I know how many to tell them! I am looking forward to meeting all of you! Nicci

I apologize for all of the confusion in regards to the dinner get together..Too many threads I guess. Okay, let's keep it at Fridays on Peach Street (that seems to work best) and let's also keep it for Tuesday the 27th that way most will be able to attend. The time will still be 7:00. Again, sorry for the mix up!!!! Just please post your response by the 24th so I can make reservations! I am anxious to finally meet all of you! Nicci

P.S Gross anatomy rocks! I have it on DVD if any ones is interested...Welcome to Gross Anatomy People (one of my fav lines from the movie!!) :p

CharBear said:
Also, just have one more question pertaining to books: Any ISPs out there that wanna help me??? I'm gonna be an ISP in the fall and when talkin to Dr. Troop on campus during my interview visit it seemed like I should have most books because they make tons of references to them in our module outlines.... Anyone, please just let me know ;)
Thanks!

The sort of bad news is that ISP'ers buy a lot of books druing 1st year. The good news is that on only need to buy 3-4 books during 2nd year since you re-use most of the ones from before.

I. ANATOMY
 anatomy notes by Buck---- a definite buy
 Clemente or Netter?s---- buy one or the other. I preferred Clemente (better pics, better for head/neck, short paragraphs at the bottom of each page). I thought Netter?s pics were too cartoonish.
 Grant?s atlas- worthless
 Rohen?s atlas--- a must buy
 McMinn?s atlas- worthless
 **extra: some people swear by BRS anatomy. I have it and thought it was alright. Something to look into.

The list says choose 1 of 5 but you?ll love Rohen for its real pictures, but you need an atlas w/drawings to complement it.

II. Embryology
 Dr. Kruger taught embryo last year, but he?ll be in Florida so I don?t know who?s taking over. I?d wait to buy an embryo book until you get a feel for the Profs notes. I hardly used my Larson?s book

III. HISTOLOGY
 Ross book--- a must buy. I have the 3rd edition (cheaper to pick up online) and it does just fine. You?ll use this book for the ISP modules as well.

IV. OMM
 Foundations?way too big. You might need it once and it?s in the library.
 Physical exam by Hoppenfeld?if you can find an older version online somewhere then get it. Otherwise it?s pricey.
 Osteopathic approach by DiGiovanna?a must buy & the only one you should buy at first regardless of what they say
 ** extra: The West Virginia mini manual (all pics of techniques) is worth looking into, as well as Savorese?s OMT review book (the green book).

************* I wouldn?t buy any of the following books until you?re done with gross and you come to the respective ISP modules. The books are always in stock and many times the prof?s notes are fine***************

V. BIOCHEMISTRY
 Basic biochem by Marks??I have it and it?s not a bad book especially if you can get a used one.
 Medical genetics by Jorde?never bought or needed it
 **extra: BRS biochem (also written by Marks) is a must.

VI. PHARMACOLOGY
 Basic clinical by Katzung? a big book with way too much info, but you need it to answer some of the objectives that you can?t find in the ?baby Katz?. Get the 8th edition, same info for half the price.
 **extra?I couldn?t live without ?The Pharmacology Companion?. A spiral bound book that is very concise. ?Lippincott?s is good also, but you don?t need both.

VII. PHYSIOLOGY
 Medical Physiology by Rhoades?not the best but you?ll use if for both years.
 **extra?BRS physiology is a must

VIII. MICROBIOLOGY
 Medical micro by Murray??a new book this year which I?ve never seen so check it out.
 **extra- ?The Microbiology Companion (also spiral bound) is great.

IX. IMMUNOOGY
 Immuno for Med Students by Nairn?new book, never saw it. Immuno is a very small part of the micro module and actually buying a separate book is overkill.

X. PATHOLOGY
 Robbin?s path?A big expensive book, but I use it w/ every module.
 **extra?BRS pathology is known around the world. Also the ?Robins pocket book? is very nice. You can get an older version for $8 online.

XI. RECOMMENDED TEXTS
 Lippincott?s pharm?get either this one or the phram companion
 Pharm: exam & review?aka ?baby katz?. it?s decent
 Pharm: road map: never saw it
 Dorland?s & Stedman?s giant dictionaries?too big, see below
 Stedman?s concise dictionary?this one is smaller then the two above, and comes in a green vinyl cover. It also as a CD-rom which I use all the time in my laptop.
 Osteopathic principles by Kuchera?never saw it, don?t need it
 Interactive studies in path?never saw it
 Harper?s biochem?I?d get BRS Biochem instead
 Clinically Oriented anatomy by Moore?funny this was required last year, but with Kruger gone it looks like Buck?s notes are key. Keep this in mind, but hold off for now.

XII. SPECIAL ORDER STUFF
 I wouldn?t buy any of it
2ND SEMESTER BOOKS

 H&P/ OPEP
 Physical diagnosis by Swartz?a must buy
 ABC?s by Bakerman?a must buy

 DERMATOLOGY
 Clinical Derm by Habif?unless you want to be a dermatologist borrow this from one of your LDP friends when the time comes.

 MUSCOSKELETAL
 Essentials of Ortho Surgery?a pretty good book

 NEUROANATOMY
 Basic clinical neuro by Young?a must buy
 Practical primer in neuro by Campbell?a must buy
 Neuro: atlas by Haines?a must buy

OTHER ADVICE
After Gross I?d look into buying ?First aid for the USMLE 1? as well as the ?Step-up? book and use both as you go through your modules.

thanksk a lot, i'm an isp-er, this will really help! :thumbup:

There will be a panel discussion during the last part orientation for you to ask some MS2s questions. Then at the end of your first real day of class, a few of us MS2s will skip class and come talk with you about surviving Anatomy. So save all your anatomy questions until 3 o'clock on your first day.

Awesome review!!!

Now from an LDP view....

I. ANATOMY
 anatomy notes by Buck---- MUST HAVE MUST KNOW COVER TO COVER
 Clemente or Netter?s---- I preferred Netter...showed great relationships
 Grant?s atlas- worthless
 Rohen?s atlas--- I totally agree...This is great to use to study for practicals
 McMinn?s atlas- worthless...I had it from undergrad and totally worthless in med school.
 BRS anatomy is a must have!

The list says choose 1 of 5 but you?ll love Rohen for its real pictures, but you need an atlas w/drawings to complement it.

II. Embryology
 Don't buy it. I think Kulesza is in charge of embryo...his notes are enough

III. HISTOLOGY
 Ross book--- bought it...didn't use it....

IV. OMM
 Physical exam by Hoppenfeld - have it...like it...not a must buy.
 Osteopathic approach by DiGiovanna?a must buy & the only one you should buy at first regardless of what they say...BINGO!
 Savorese?s OMT review book (the green book)...have it, like it...should have used it more the first year

V. BIOCHEMISTRY
 Basic biochem by Marks??You can get away without it. Just buy the BRS because it's written by the same authors. Anyway the profs will give you excellent notes. I hardly used it.
 Medical genetics by Jorde?never bought or needed it
 **extra: BRS biochem (also written by Marks) is a must.

VI. PHARMACOLOGY
 I used Baby Katz....as a reference...

VII. PHYSIOLOGY
 Medical Physiology by Rhoades?Have it...don't like it..
 **extra?BRS physiology is a must...This is a much better read

VIII. MICROBIOLOGY
 Medical micro by Murray- have it...don't buy it...don't need it. Prof notes are great

IX. IMMUNOOGY
 Nah...just use notes

X. PATHOLOGY
 Robbin?s path?Have it...great book. I need to learn to use it!
 **extra?BRS pathology is known around the world....BUY THIS! I would also buy the Robbins review of path..it's a question book that really helps you learn the stuff

XII. SPECIAL ORDER STUFF
 I wouldn?t buy any of it
2ND SEMESTER BOOKS

 H&P/ OPEP
 Physical diagnosis by Swartz?a must buy...you'll use it MS2 also
 ABC?s by Bakerman?a must buy

 DERMATOLOGY
 Clinical Derm by Habif?They will tell you it's a must buy book...Save the 150 bucks!

 MUSCOSKELETAL
 We didn't have a book for ortho!

 NEUROANATOMY
 Basic clinical neuro by Young?bought it...it helped to clarify some stuff
  Neuro: atlas by Haines?a must buy!!!!!!!

Hey I just found this site. A fellow student told me about the dinner on Tuesday. My spouse and I will be there.
Thanks to the wonderful MSII's for the text info. :eek: I'm exhausted already. I am so excited to get going, finally!!!! A little about myself: I am married to my highschool sweetheart. I have a 15 yo son and a 10 yo son. I am in the Army and I am an HPSP student. If anyone wants to chat or drop me a line, [email protected]. We have been up here since July 4th. We love the weather (compared to San Antonio, 108degree).

good job russ on covering all the books :) i just got done moving to my new place and all of those books were the bane of my moving. did you do any cardio?