LECOM-B Interview & NSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school would you choose?

• NSU

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • LECOM-B

Votes: 5 16.7%

• Total voters

ChasinDreams9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN fam,

I've just been offered an interview at LECOM-B after being accepted to NSU a few weeks ago. After many applications and MCATs, I'm so extremely grateful for these interviews and acceptance. That being said, I'm not sure if I should accept my interview at LECOM-B as I am cash-strapped right now and loved NSU. There have been some threads on this comparison but I'm left more confused the more I read and research the two schools!

NSU

Pros
  • Loved the campus and students seem really happy
  • Great opportunities for helping increase my medical learning and match process with good rotations and connections to South Florida hospitals, research opportunities, etc.
  • Great opportunities for social experiences (when not studying) on a major college campus with gym, sports, ECs, etc. aka personal growth outside the classroom
  • Davie/Ft Lauderdale area appears to be > Bradenton

Cons
  • The cost is significant - maybe worth a few bullet points. Tuition is roughly 25k per year more and the cost of living in the area would be higher as well. I believe the estimated cost for the upcoming year is 100K.
  • Match list and board scores are good but maybe not quite as good as LECOM? They also match a lot in florida and I may want to come back up North. Although I'm told to not put much stock in this.

LECOM-B
Pros
  • Super cheap as far as med schools go (would be saving over 100k total accounting for interest). Reading SDN it appears attendings, residents, and current medical students always say "go to the cheapest school, you'll thank me later"
  • Match list and board scores are surprisingly great despite the cons I list below. Maybe a bit inflated since they combine it with LECOM-Erie?
  • Curriculum and medical education set-up with PBL may be the reason for high board scores, which is the top thing PDs are looking for.

Cons
  • Rotations 3rd and 4th year seem horrible. But me researching and finding some good alternatives may be worth the 100k in savings?
  • Unlike NSU's HPD, it appears all of LECOM's health students are lumped together and it is an under-resourced school that doesn't seem to help its students much. Then again, I've heard students from nearly every school say that about theirs.
  • Don't know how well I'd do with PBL. I did well going to all classes in the past but based upon SDN and friends in med school, it appears to be more efficient to skip class and do independent learning with 2x speed and other resources which I may shift towards.
In the end, it may be clear that I'd be happier at and am favoring NSU over LECOM-B. I've also never visited LECOM-B so I'm just basing it off my heavy research of the school. But I feel like if the differences between the two aren't that great, I may actually be happier saving that money even if my medical school experience isn't AS great at LECOM-B as it would be at NSU. I'm conflicted cause in addition to being cash strapped, I'm also thinking that if I know I'll be happier at NSU, I'd rather withdraw that II and give it to someone who'd die to go to LECOM-B because I know how it feels to go through cycles without IIs. Some advice please?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at both because LECOM-B sent me a super early interview way back in August. I withdrew my acceptance.

I wouldn't bother going. NSU is way better....the money isn't worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Literally the only good thing about LECOM-B is the price. It's not worth the time or money to even interview.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't do the interview.

I interviewed at both because LECOM-B sent me a super early interview way back in August. I withdrew my acceptance.

I wouldn't bother going. NSU is way better....the money isn't worth it.

Literally the only good thing about LECOM-B is the price. It's not worth the time or money to even interview.

Thanks all for your input, I'm certainly leaning that way as well. Despite LECOM-B's flaws, what do you make of their really good board scores and match lists? Also adding in the fact that med students, residents and attendings always seem to say all over SDN "to go to the cheapest school", especially when this one will easily save me over 100K in the long run? Our interview packet showed NSU's estimated cost/year as 101K whereas LECOM website puts it at 66K per year.

Thanks all for your input, I'm certainly leaning that way as well. Despite LECOM-B's flaws, what do you make of their really good board scores and match lists? Also adding in the fact that med students, residents and attendings always seem to say all over SDN "to go to the cheapest school", especially when this one will easily save me over 100K in the long run? Our interview packet showed NSU's estimated cost/year as 101K whereas LECOM website puts it at 66K per year.
Honestly, I can't comment on their board scores and/or match list. I know they report good scores but from what I've heard and from interviewing there myself, I don't recommend LECOM-B.

Honestly, I can't comment on their board scores and/or match list. I know they report good scores but from what I've heard and from interviewing there myself, I don't recommend LECOM-B.

Thanks for your input! I think I'll make a final call this weekend but am pretty certain I'm not going to accept the interview invite. Never seen such a one-sided poll on SDN! haha

See from what you will gain from either school in your own situation. Several of these people saying LECOM is not worth it have their own reasons for doing so. I also interviewed at both schools and I will give you my two cents. If you can afford the higher tuition of Nova, it seems like you would be happier in the Davie area and because of Nova's emphasis of that "family" atmosphere. You also seem a bit iffy on PBL, and if you like traditional lecture style Nova would obviously be a better choice. Some people, like me, would be fine in PBL because we like reading and self-study. But, you are the only person to make the decision whether that would be a learning style for you. Either or, I can assure you both schools are good!!! I recommend go to the interview, it will let you see whether it is a fit for you. Don't let people online decide your future for you.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: