Leaving

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsItIs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is you don't want to keep going at a program? I know that it must differ from institution to institution, but what would be a general procedure?

It's not like undergrad where no one would notice if you just left....do you tell your advisor, the director of graduate studies, who? And when? and how?

You always hear about people who "didn't complete the program for personal reasons" but no one defines a clear procedure for this, for pretty obvious reasons...anyone have inside knowledge?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd hazard a guess that your advisor and the DCT would be the people to talk to (provided they are not the REASON you are leaving).

I'd approach whichever of them you felt more comfortable talking to first, though you will probably have to talk to both eventually. Depending on your reason for leaving they may try to convince you to stay, either by figuring out ways to make the program better fit your needs, or looking into arranging a leave of absence. Or they may just say "okay" and leave it at that.

Purely speculation, as I really have no idea. That's how I would handle the situation though.

DCT is definitely the place to go. I'd also consult with a professor I trust, to maybe bounce some ideas off of.....as often students hit a "crisis" sometime during the training, and they need someone to help them make sense of it.

depends on why/how you want to leave.

talking to everyone and explaining why would definitely the diplomatic way.

you could always pull a george castanza and run down the halls in a body suit.