Leaving formal post-bacc. Good or Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adran49

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am considering leaving my formal post-bacc program next semester to finish at a state school for a these reasons:
1. It is an hour and a half commute which sucks.
2. it's VERY expensive.
3. I really hate the environment. Very cut-throat which is not conducive to my learning abilities.
4. I initially enrolled due to linkages but I am no longer interested in those schools
5. There is a state school very close to me which offers the same courses I need and is MUCH cheaper.
6. Mother has fallen quite ill and being closer to home would be better for both of us.
7. More time to volunteer/shadow/do research and less time commuting.

This is my first semester in this program.

A little background: I had completed my degree and already took Bio I,II, and Gen Chem I,II so I needed orgo I,II, physics I,II, and biochem. I really should have done a DIY but I messed up there. Full disclosure, I could get anywhere between a 3.0 and 3.5 this semester, so it could possibly look as if I am trying to get out of the program to get better grades. By the way, I'm interested in both MD and DO so if I lost my shot at one and still have a shot at another I am cool with that.

AMCAS cGPA- ~3.4
AMCAS sGPA- ~ 3.5
AACOMAS cGPA- ~3.5
AACOMAS sGPA- ~3.8

Would leaving and finishing my courses at a state school be a red flag? Would that move completely bar me from being able to get into medical school?

I appreciate any and all feedback, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Possible red flag - unless it was a medical leave/withdrawal, committees might ask you why you decided to drop out of a formal post bacc and take it at another institution instead (was it too hard for you to handle?)

Honestly, It's difficult, but I don't think that it was too over my head. One major issue is waking up at 5am to get on a train for an hour and a half to get to school, then do that again at night. It just takes up so much time that I think it is directly affecting my academic performance. I would totally be able to explain my choice and obviously my performance on the MCAT would fill in gaps of the story. I just want to make sure that it doesn't look like I'm leaving to go to an easier school. If that's the case, I, unfortunately, have no choice but to stick it out. My college education has been pretty unorthodox and this is my fifth institution that I am taking undergraduate classes so it seems to fit my M.O.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, nowhere on my transcript would it say that I was in a formal post-bacc program, just that I took two classes at this school.

Any other advice would be very much appreciated. I am very torn about this decision.

Also, nowhere on my transcript would it say that I was in a formal post-bacc program, just that I took two classes at this school.
Do you know that for sure? Take your finals and order a transcript. See what it says. If it doesn't indicate you were in a formal post bac then I see no harm in transferring. It would seem like you are doing a DIY post bac. At least that's my opinion. Good luck!

Do you know that for sure? Take your finals and order a transcript. See what it says. If it doesn't indicate you were in a formal post bac then I see no harm in transferring. It would seem like you are doing a DIY post bac. At least that's my opinion. Good luck!

I am going to find out for sure today, I just emailed the program. If it did indicate that I was in a formal post-bacc program, would it be a bad idea to transfer out?

I just found out that my transcript will only indicate that my major is pre-health studies so it will not say anywhere that I was in a formal post-bacc program. So I guess it's okay to transfer out.

So I am considering leaving my formal post-bacc program next semester to finish at a state school for a these reasons:
1. It is an hour and a half commute which sucks.
2. it's VERY expensive.
3. I really hate the environment. Very cut-throat which is not conducive to my learning abilities.
4. I initially enrolled due to linkages but I am no longer interested in those schools
5. There is a state school very close to me which offers the same courses I need and is MUCH cheaper.
6. Mother has fallen quite ill and being closer to home would be better for both of us.
7. More time to volunteer/shadow/do research and less time commuting.

This is my first semester in this program.

A little background: I had completed my degree and already took Bio I,II, and Gen Chem I,II so I needed orgo I,II, physics I,II, and biochem. I really should have done a DIY but I messed up there. Full disclosure, I could get anywhere between a 3.0 and 3.5 this semester, so it could possibly look as if I am trying to get out of the program to get better grades. By the way, I'm interested in both MD and DO so if I lost my shot at one and still have a shot at another I am cool with that.

AMCAS cGPA- ~3.4
AMCAS sGPA- ~ 3.5
AACOMAS cGPA- ~3.5
AACOMAS sGPA- ~3.8

Would leaving and finishing my courses at a state school be a red flag? Would that move completely bar me from being able to get into medical school?

I appreciate any and all feedback, thank you.
Many of my peers left my "cut throat" top school to go to easier ones. They said they were questioned during interviews and honest answers were usually met with, "well... medical school is as cutthroat as it gets".

Many of my peers left my "cut throat" top school to go to easier ones. They said they were questioned during interviews and honest answers were usually met with, "well... medical school is as cutthroat as it gets".

Well I'm glad to hear that they left a formal post bacc and still made it to interviews. I hope they got in somewhere. Secondly, my major qualm with my situation is the commute which just takes up to much time. I should have considered the length of the commute before commiting. At the end of the day, if I know that I will be questioned about my decision but still have a chance of getting to the stage where I am questioned, im okay with that. As long as its not a definite app killer I'm okay with the questions.

One big thing is that you'll lose the committee letter which is one of the great bonuses of a formal post bacc.

Yea that's true and I know not much can beat a committee letter but luckily I will have some great letters from professors in my undergrad, doctors and supervisors.

Thank you for the advice :)