leave parent info off. Schools req it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

geldrop

Crushed Pepper Rules
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd prefer to just leave the parental information off. And if the schools really need it i'll disclose it to them skipping the fafsa. I spoke to the the education people over the phone and they said they don't require it and even suggest i leave it off if they won't contribute anything since i am independent and have a job.

Members don't see this ad.

It won't affect anything if you put it on the FAFSA - we are all considered independent for the EFC since we are going to professional school. They will figure out their part just based on your information.

Schools will require it for their institutional grants and loans. Putting it on the FAFSA is an easy way to get them the basic infor, though some schools will also require a 2002 tax return, as they are unwilling to figure aid based on estimates. In fact, at least one school specifically asked me to put the parents info on the FAFSA because that was for some reason easier for them.