Leave of Absence between M2-M3 Dilemma!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungFlash01

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am finishing M2 in a few weeks and am taking a medical LOA before starting 3rd year. I am deciding on taking a one semester loa (starting 3rd year in January and being off-cycle) or taking the entire year off. I am conflicted on what to do as it would be nice not to have to take the entire year off but I am not sure about the timeline of being off-cycle and the impact it has during match time. What are the pros/cons of being off-cycle. Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t think it really matters. If you wind up graduating in December I’m pretty sure you can explain it as a medical LOA. As long as you match “on time” it shouldn’t matter

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure how it would work out, but if you use financial aid from your school for living expenses, I'd double check with your office. If you don't get any FE during your LoA and then start up again, will you still be able to get it that last time (from December until you start residency in June/July)?

If not, you'll have to plan for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

I am finishing M2 in a few weeks and am taking a medical LOA before starting 3rd year. I am deciding on taking a one semester loa (starting 3rd year in January and being off-cycle) or taking the entire year off. I am conflicted on what to do as it would be nice not to have to take the entire year off but I am not sure about the timeline of being off-cycle and the impact it has during match time. What are the pros/cons of being off-cycle. Any advice would be appreciated.

Wouldn’t it be best to base it off the actual time needed for medical reasons? Obviously we don’t know the reason, but the worse case would be that you only took the one semester, the medical issue was not resolved and you aren’t in any better position you were before you started the LOA. Take the semester and then reevaluate where you are at at the end of the semester, and decide to extend if you need more time or continue on. As long as the LOA was for a medical reason most residencies I would imagine wouldn’t care, and would rather you have the issue fully resolved so they can count on you as a resident.

Wouldn’t it be best to base it off the actual time needed for medical reasons? Obviously we don’t know the reason, but the worse case would be that you only took the one semester, the medical issue was not resolved and you aren’t in any better position you were before you started the LOA. Take the semester and then reevaluate where you are at at the end of the semester, and decide to extend if you need more time or continue on. As long as the LOA was for a medical reason most residencies I would imagine wouldn’t care, and would rather you have the issue fully resolved so they can count on you as a resident.
That does make the most sense. Thank You

Reactions: 1 user
Hey there. I'm a former associate program director. Agree that you should take the time off as needed that's best for your health. If you decide only to take part of the year, you can always do research for the remaining time to get back on cycle.