Least competitive rads programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anconeus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which programs in rads are least competitive, where an IMG would have the best shot at matching? how would I go about finding out where these programs are?

Im in the process of scheduling my 4th year electives right now in radiology as well. I discovered that my school allows me to do up to (6!) electives in radiology (4 weeks each)during 4th year. So im trying to put together a list of programs where i should try to do audition rotations before matching. It can be anywhere in the country. As long as i have a good shot at matching there I dont mind the traveling

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

anconeus said:
Can anyone tell me which programs in rads are least competitive, where an IMG would have the best shot at matching? how would I go about finding out where these programs are?

Im in the process of scheduling my 4th year electives right now in radiology as well. I discovered that my school allows me to do up to (6!) electives in radiology (4 weeks each)during 4th year. So im trying to put together a list of programs where i should try to do audition rotations before matching. It can be anywhere in the country. As long as i have a good shot at matching there I dont mind the traveling

Thanks in advance

i hear that the program in savannah, ga, affiliated with mercer, is in a state of transition whereby a new private practice group, with little to no experience with teaching, is taking over the residency. this wasn't exactly a super-competitive program to begin with, so this change is just making it less competitive. besides, savannah is a really nice city.

i'd be careful about scheduling too many radiology rotations. unlike some specialties, some radiology program directors run up the red flag when they see someone who has spent all their time doing radiology as a student. it makes them think that you're lazy - because radiology rotations aren't particularlly taxing - and that you don't get along well with people. they'd prefer to see you do rotations where you'll learn things that you won't ever be exposed to as a radiologist. just my 2 cents.