Leasing a car while serving payback?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hull22

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get some advice from those who are doing or have their payback. I'm looking into buying a new car when I start my active duty payback this summer. I'd like to lease because I expect that I'll want to get a new car in 3-4 years. My question is how feasible is it for someone in my situation to be leasing a car, given the fact that I might be deployed for 3-6 months a couple of times. I know that there this law that military members can get out of lease without penalty if they are PCSed overseas. Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

hull22 said:
Just wanted to get some advice from those who are doing or have their payback. I'm looking into buying a new car when I start my active duty payback this summer. I'd like to lease because I expect that I'll want to get a new car in 3-4 years. My question is how feasible is it for someone in my situation to be leasing a car, given the fact that I might be deployed for 3-6 months a couple of times. I know that there this law that military members can get out of lease without penalty if they are PCSed overseas. Any opinions?

Servicemembers Civil Relief Act of 2003

hull22 said:
That was the law I was referring to. But my question here whether anyone has actually gone ahead and leased a car with the possibility of being deployed for more than 3 months at a time.

I did...I was in the 24th month of a 48 month auto lease when I got deployed overseas...I didn't pay a thing to get out of the lease...I sent in a copy of my orders and a letter and that was it