Leadership Opportunities for Music/Biochem Major???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shruggs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about providing private lessons (viola) to children from 4th~10th grade. I would be able to earn a lot more money in a short period of time (Seattle area students usually charge 45~50 dollars an hour, professionals charge 65~80), allowing for more time studying and volunteering. (I would only take 3-4 students per week.)

Would conducting private lessons demonstrate my ability in leadership, or should I figure out a separate activity for med school apps? I would be providing lessons regardless because I need the extra money and I enjoy teaching, but I was hoping that it could be something I could write down on my applications as well.
What are some activities you are/have been doing and do you have any suggestions?

Thank you so much :)
Shruggs

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking about providing private lessons (viola) to children from 4th~10th grade. I would be able to earn a lot more money in a short period of time (Seattle area students usually charge 45~50 dollars an hour, professionals charge 65~80), allowing for more time studying and volunteering. (I would only take 3-4 students per week.)

Would conducting private lessons demonstrate my ability in leadership, or should I figure out a separate activity for med school apps? I would be providing lessons regardless because I need the extra money and I enjoy teaching, but I was hoping that it could be something I could write down on my applications as well.
What are some activities you are/have been doing and do you have any suggestions?

Thank you so much :)
Shruggs

You can definitely list it on your application, but I don't think it'll make anyone raise any eyebrows in astonishment. It's a job showing commitment to responsibility and working with children. You're not working with an underserved population or getting clinical experience, so do it if you feel like doing it...not for your application. I've been employed similarly for over 10 years and listed this on my app. It hasn't been brought up much at all in my interviews, but I do have a lot of material for stories from my experiences.

Private teaching pays well, but I think you might be optimistic about the amount you'll get paid and how easy it is to get students. Viola (as you know) does not have as large of a student population as an instrument like violin/cello/piano, so I don't think it'll be super easy to just accept 3-4 lucky souls into your studio.

Are you a performance major or music ed major? When you say that Seattle area students charge that amount, are you talking undergrad or grad students? I know cost of living is pretty high in that area, but the numbers you listed are astonishingly high for an undergraduate private instructor. I teach in an affluent suburb elsewhere in the country, and I charge $25-30/30 mins depending on travel, which is the standard professional rate here (not counting bigwig college profs). Also, most of your lessons are probably not going to be 1 hour long, especially for 4th-10th grade. Just some things to consider.

Edit: Just wanted to add that this would not be listed as leadership on your AMCAS, but under employment or teaching. Leadership opportunities are examples such as those listed in the post above.

Reactions: 1 users
You can definitely list it on your application, but I don't think it'll make anyone raise any eyebrows in astonishment. It's a job showing commitment to responsibility and working with children. You're not working with an underserved population or getting clinical experience, so do it if you feel like doing it...not for your application. I've been employed similarly for over 10 years and listed this on my app. It hasn't been brought up much at all in my interviews, but I do have a lot of material for stories from my experiences.

Private teaching pays well, but I think you might be optimistic about the amount you'll get paid and how easy it is to get students. Viola (as you know) does not have as large of a student population as an instrument like violin/cello/piano, so I don't think it'll be super easy to just accept 3-4 lucky souls into your studio.

Are you a performance major or music ed major? When you say that Seattle area students charge that amount, are you talking undergrad or grad students? I know cost of living is pretty high in that area, but the numbers you listed are astonishingly high for an undergraduate private instructor. I teach in an affluent suburb elsewhere in the country, and I charge $25-30/30 mins depending on travel, which is the standard professional rate here (not counting bigwig college profs). Also, most of your lessons are probably not going to be 1 hour long, especially for 4th-10th grade. Just some things to consider.

Edit: Just wanted to add that this would not be listed as leadership on your AMCAS, but under employment or teaching. Leadership opportunities are examples such as those listed in the post above.

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I am a I am a BM music performance major! :) I'm in Biochemistry as well so I do not have any time at all (if you have any tips on time management ad smart studying skills that would be amazing ^^;)
I asked my other fellow undergrad students (about 5 or 6?) about the lessons, and the average amount they charged was around 50 dollars for an hour. I guess it does sound a little optimistic to think that I'll immediately get 3 or 4 students but I know a few good friends and family who would be interested. My middle and high school has one of the best/largest Orchestra programs (200+ students enrolled in the High School Orchestra programs alone, larger than our band) so there are a lot of people in orchestra, I guess I was hoping that I'd get at least a couple people who would be looking for a lesson.
Personally, I never took viola lessons until 10th grade (but that is extremely rare), but most of my other friends had 1 hour lessons per week with their private instructor, which ran about 60-80 dollars/hr (even if they were not professionals or professors) My professor charges 70 dollars/hr right now but my teacher before charged 80... I guess it really depends on the person. I guess I'll ask around some more about the rates :)
What were some leadership activities that you have done, personally?
@cj_cregg, thank you for the awesome ideas, by the way! I'll look into creating a new club or being an orientation leader :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I love seeing other music majors on here. It makes me all happy inside! :highfive:

Where are you in your studies (freshman/soph/junior/senior/super)? If you're on the lower end of that spectrum, I'd recommend getting involved with clubs and gaining significant time management skills and perhaps even volunteering before giving lessons. I don't know where you are in terms of skill level, and admittedly I am ignorant of the differences between vocal pedagogy (my area) and viola pedagogy, so YMMV.

If you're an upperclassman, I would definitely recommend teaching lessons, not necessarily for the app, but for the important experience of helping guide young musicians to a career or hobby in an amazing field of study. Just make sure you have time for it. A tip my teacher always recommended scheduling every last second of your days down to the minute and sticking with it. It's amazing how much extra time you may actually have!

For my leadership experiences, I was pres/vp/founder of two clubs (the drama club and the a cappella club) and section leader in the choirs at my undergrad, so the opportunities exist. I also tutored the lower class students in music theory, though I'm not sure if that counts as "leadership." I think you could list first chair (that's an orchestra thing, right? :laugh:), or potentially leader/creator of an ensemble like a string quartet, and as long as you can talk about how it was "leadership" on the app/in the interview, it works.

Side note: I strongly recommend a conducting course for any musician. It will make you feel a vulnerability that can significantly add to your overall musicianship. And who doesn't love doing what feels like a bastardized chicken dance in front of your peers?
We are rooting for you! Don't be ashamed if you have to take another year to finish, I took 5 for a double major.+pity+ Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
OP, just saw your other post where it says that you're a freshman. How old are your friends who are charging $50/hour? Do you have any previous private teaching experience? Have you won any big competitions? Do you have significant solo performance experience?

If you want to get students, I would honestly lower that rate a bit. For parents, the point of taking lessons with someone so young and inexperienced is because the rate is SO much cheaper, otherwise it's not really a bargain. You have had one semester as a college student, and I think your rates should be closer to high school seniors than college seniors. Also are you looking to teach near your college or back home? Rates can be vastly different there too.

Think about it this way: if I were a parent, why would I spent $50/hour for an 18-19 year old with no/limited teaching experience when I could spend just a bit more to have lessons with your professor? Just my $0.02.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just trying to help you get the most students for your time!

Reactions: 1 user