Leadership experiences non-trad student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khunmohdokhtar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did really rough and was unfocused (B-, C averages for many of my bio/chem/calc classes... did well in physics though) my first two years of undergrad, therefore I currently have a 3.0 gpa and am in my 4th (out of 5th year) - my goal is to get it up to at least a 3.2....I am pursuing a major w/ an emphasis and a double minor and have all of them nearly completed (~10 classes left with 3 semester) as of now. I really only have one official leadership experience (student org. prez) and need two more. I know I'm not supposed to think of them in numbers but that is what i've resorted to. I am thinking of asking my volunteer coordinator at a clinical setting I have volunteered for nearly over a year now about leadership opportunities and get one there. Any ideas of a third? I currently am taking up a private tutoring role for two refugee high school students...which i've heard doesn't count really? Would anyone suggest finding leadership experiences within an internship (it is research-based in an office like setting)...? I'm at a lost, please help!

As another side/general question: What are other people's non-trad 5-year plan like?
(i.e., I am planning to take the mcat in may/june, when would I apply? etc.?)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Leadership/volunteering is not a numbers game. It's a commitment game. Adcoms take more seriously someone who's shown dedication to one activity for five years than someone who's done twenty activities but never stuck with it for more than a week. They kind of expect to see that in young applicants who are still flitting around trying to find what they enjoy, but older applicants need to show that they know better.

The most important thing to thing about is "what is my story?". If you're planning to come in presenting an image of yourself as someone who (total random example) was drawn to medicine to help children, it'll make brows raise if you have nothing related to children anywhere on your resume. Instead of just throwing random darts and taking whatever sticks, stop and think what picture of yourself you intend to be painting in a few months. Then devote yourself to finding things that will support that on paper.

Because one of the favorite questions during interview is: "So...tell me why you chose to do X". If your only answer in your own head is that it was just #3 on a checklist, that will come out in the way you talk about it.

If you took the MCAT in June you would receive your score approximately a month later at some point in July. This is a little hairy for people for have otherwise not-so-strong applications (noting your GPA there), as if you're not happy with your score and want to retake then you're looking at not having a working score until fall, which is far too late. People who submit applications on day 1 are people who get looked at on day 1. The weaker your stats, generally the better idea it is to be ready to pull the trigger the moment it comes time to apply.