Lead

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Couple of questions about lead aprons and lead glasses:

Do you guys get tired of wearing lead? I imagine it would cause some physical deterioration due to year after year of wearing heavy lead aprons. Or is it something you get use to and your body just strengthens up to a point you no longer notice it?

Also, where can one purchase lead glasses for a discounted price? I'm thinking about getting a pair of my own some day.

Members don't see this ad.

Granted I've only been doing this for a few years but the lead apron hasn't gotten to me yet. I have a one piece with a thyroid shield and overall it's pretty light weight. But I can see how wearing it for 30 years can add up but then again, you're not wearing it continuously all day -- you have patients to see, consults, rounds, clinic, etc.

In regards to lead glasses/goggles, check out Bar Ray (www.bar-ray.com). I got my lead apron from them and they were great to deal with. Hope this helps.

I think the key is to mix it up.

I do a full day of clinic a week.

I also perform CT and ultrasound guided cases which do not require lead including ablations of solid tumors.

The other thing you can do is add varicose vein interventions which does not require lead.

Also, I think it is important to get lead fitted for you and use proper ergonomics and build your core to reduce those issues.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me, or do the 2 piece (skirt + vest) lead aprons feel less stressful on the lower back?

Check out the zgrav... new technology that supposedly provides better protection than lead aprons and puts no stress on the body. Pretty cool stuff.

That looks a little tricky to convince someone to throw money down on if one is in residency.

I think we should develop some power-armor type rad protection ala Halo. :D