LCDC Questions From A Pre-med Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AveragePerson.Psych

Reaction score
This is my first time posting in the psych forum (hello!)!! I have my M.S. in applied psychology and I want to attend med school. I always have people ask me why medicine when I'm majoring in psychology, well tbh I love both psychology and medicine and I can't seem to let either one go.

Flashback time: I had spoken to a counseling professor at my school and they spoke with me about getting an LCDC. This came about from me telling them life experiences I've had with family and community members that have substance use and from certain experiences in my clinical internship. I've grown to love giving therapy and psychological assessments over the years!

Is there anyone that has an LCDC that can elaborate on any experiences it (the substance use area) has brought them? What would be the best and hardest thing about it from your perspective?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a psychologist so I can't speak specifically to this degree. But quick Googling suggests that this might be a Texas specific license and limited to substance use specific counseling.

So right off the bat, that tells me people with this degree can't move (unless there are other states that recognize this) and your scope of practice is and will remain limited.

Say you get interested in anxiety or trauma or marriage counseling, my understanding is that you'd be prohibited from doing that work as a standalone treatment (even if you were open to additional training), which would likely prevent you from working in a general mental health practice/setting that employs clinical psychologists, clinical social workers, marriage and family therapists, and licensed professional counselors. While individuals with those degrees can be hired at rehab centers even without previous chemical dependency specific experience.

I would imagine this degree would also cap pay more so than other mental health degrees and potentially leadership opportunities (if the job wants somebody with a generalist healthcare degree, which this would not fall under).

So this path might be a great fit for some people but would be too limiting for many others. And in contrast to med school, your career earnings potential and ability to do a variety of clinical tasks would be greatly impacted.

Reactions: 1 users
I appreciate you! I meant to mention that I'm a Texas resident but I forgot; when talking to the counselor about this license the one thing that they were unsure of is if it would be available to be used in other states. The other area I could pursue to not be limited would be the LPC, but I am rather interested in the LCDC. I did learn the LPC can be used throughout the U.S., but I don't have all of the classes for the LPC, however, I meet LCDC requirements (I believe I would need 3 more classses to be able to apply for an LPC licensure).

Personally I'd like the LCDC licensure because it would bring me extra knowledge about substance use and it could potentially help me in medicine (the case studies in which parents come to the hospital because their child swallowed their "medication" and the parent's behavior is off putting; I know it'sjust a case study, but they truly made me think).

I'd been looking into other states requirements for licensure and they are all different, as you noted so if needed I'd go for the LPC (as it covers domestic abuse, substance use, etc.). My main goal is to take care of a patient both physically and mentally (and I want to make my M.S. useful now that I have it; also if I'm able to work and go to med school, it would be great to have an experience as an LPC or LCDC).

I appreciate your help! I'll do more digging and see how I can make this fit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I'm an LPC/LCDC (licensed in TX, MA, and CA but did my masters and was first licensed in Texas) who is currently in med school :) I've been told that my experience as a therapist was a huge asset in getting into med school. My LCDC license has lapsed because the LPC trumps it, but I am continuing to maintain my LPC license and have a veeeery light private practice going while I go through med school. Are there any specific questions I can answer?

The LCDC is a low-level license (for everyone else reading: it's called LCDC in Texas but there are equivalents in every state; I have my LADC in Massachusetts, for example). It only requires an associates degree, and is not viewed as a full license for purposes of independent practice (as viewed by the medical professions). I do not think the LCDC is going to be much help in getting into med school or even really for your clinical practice. In fact, most folks once they get their LPC/LMFT will let their LCDC lapse if they have it, just because the LPC is worth so much more. The scope is very limited and you do not get true psychotherapy training in the LCDC, which is why it's not actually considered a clinician degree.

If you have 3 more classes until you get the LPC, I highly recommend trying to finish so you can get that license, which is widely known and acknowledged as a masters-level license (vs. an associate-level license) and will open many more doors in terms of clinical experience and practice (and will be helpful for med school apps, should you choose to go that route).

Hello! I'm an LPC/LCDC (licensed in TX, MA, and CA but did my masters and was first licensed in Texas) who is currently in med school :) I've been told that my experience as a therapist was a huge asset in getting into med school. My LCDC license has lapsed because the LPC trumps it, but I am continuing to maintain my LPC license and have a veeeery light private practice going while I go through med school. Are there any specific questions I can answer?

The LCDC is a low-level license (for everyone else reading: it's called LCDC in Texas but there are equivalents in every state; I have my LADC in Massachusetts, for example). It only requires an associates degree, and is not viewed as a full license for purposes of independent practice (as viewed by the medical professions). I do not think the LCDC is going to be much help in getting into med school or even really for your clinical practice. In fact, most folks once they get their LPC/LMFT will let their LCDC lapse if they have it, just because the LPC is worth so much more. The scope is very limited and you do not get true psychotherapy training in the LCDC, which is why it's not actually considered a clinician degree.

If you have 3 more classes until you get the LPC, I highly recommend trying to finish so you can get that license, which is widely known and acknowledged as a masters-level license (vs. an associate-level license) and will open many more doors in terms of clinical experience and practice (and will be helpful for med school apps, should you choose to go that route).
Wow, you are amazing!! Throughout my degree, people were always asking me why I even pursued my masters if I wanted to go to med school and each time it felt like it was difficult to explain (it's nice to know that someone took a similar route and it lets me know that I am capable of taking both pathways!). I will definitely go and get the classes that I need to get started in the process of becoming licensed.

I have two questions:

1.) Are you planning on being a psychiatrist with an LPC or looking into another area while maintaining your LPC? I do respect that you may be deciding so my apologies if this question is rude and I respect if you want to keep that info to yourself.

2.) When becoming licensed to practice in other states for the LPC do you need to take any additional test or is there anything of significant importance that I should be aware of (I know things will vary by state, but if there is one important, common thing you know of that would be helpful)?

Congratulations on medical school!!! I am wishing you the most adventurous time possible in medical school!!! Now I feel more optimistic about the future even though I know it will have its ups and downs with some unexpected paths. Truly thank you so much and I'll "see" you through the screen!!

1.) Are you planning on being a psychiatrist with an LPC or looking into another area while maintaining your LPC? I do respect that you may be deciding so my apologies if this question is rude and I respect if you want to keep that info to yourself.

2.) When becoming licensed to practice in other states for the LPC do you need to take any additional test or is there anything of significant importance that I should be aware of (I know things will vary by state, but if there is one important, common thing you know of that would be helpful)?
1. Not sure yet, I'm deciding between psych, neuro, and rads haha. I do plan on keeping my LPC but only for supervisor status ;)

2. Yes, some states will require the NCE, while others require the NCMHCE. Some states will take both (Texas used to be NCE only but has switched to accepting either). Some states will also require you to take specific coursework that you might not have taken. Our license is VERY unstandardized from state to state (they can't even decide what to name it) so you gotta take it case by case. In some states there are associate licenses, in other states you're unlicensed for a period of time while you get post-grad hours. In some states you can only be supervised by an LPC (or equivalent), in others you can be supervised by any mental health practitioner.

Are there any particular states you might want to move to?

Reactions: 1 user
1. Not sure yet, I'm deciding between psych, neuro, and rads haha. I do plan on keeping my LPC but only for supervisor status ;)

2. Yes, some states will require the NCE, while others require the NCMHCE. Some states will take both (Texas used to be NCE only but has switched to accepting either). Some states will also require you to take specific coursework that you might not have taken. Our license is VERY unstandardized from state to state (they can't even decide what to name it) so you gotta take it case by case. In some states there are associate licenses, in other states you're unlicensed for a period of time while you get post-grad hours. In some states you can only be supervised by an LPC (or equivalent), in others you can be supervised by any mental health practitioner.

Are there any particular states you might want to move to?
I am really impressed by you!! I know of a few other people at my school that are wanting to go the psych med route and at times we have all become confused because of people saying "you can't do both" and know we know that there is someone who is doing both.

I am hoping to move to Washington or Oregon one day (I'll leave Texas in the mix because I do not know where life will take me). I'll do more digging for the licensure process of these states. Thank you for everything once again; all of the information you shared with me has been of great help!!!

I am really impressed by you!! I know of a few other people at my school that are wanting to go the psych med route and at times we have all become confused because of people saying "you can't do both" and know we know that there is someone who is doing both.
I suspect the folks telling you that you can’t do both are referring to when you’re an attending working full time. If you’re working somewhere, it needs to be VERY clear which license you’re operating under and what scope of practice you have. That’s why folks who are residents who might have an RN license from a previous career, do not write the RN license on their badge and do not engage in RN tasks. It comes down to malpractice coverage and liability. So no, in a job capacity you will never be using both licenses. Also, psychiatrists are trained to do psychotherapy so there is no reason to keep the LPC/LMFT/LCSW once you’re a board certified psychiatrist and you should drop it (the same way you’d drop your LCDC after getting the LPC, since it’s a higher level license). I’m only keeping my LPC-S to be a supervisor and rake in the supervisor income (lol).

I would also argue that purposefully doing the LPC first before doing psych is a silly idea, as it wastes time and money. On my end, I happened to start my masters in counseling and only in the last semester did I decide to go premed, so it was a bit of a winding path. If someone is starting out knowing they want to go to med school but purposefully decides to take a detour to get their LPC… well, that’s kind of silly. It doesn’t seem like that is the case for you, looks like you weee just indecisive about which direction to pursue, but just speaking generally to anyone who might be reading :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users