Lazy teaching methods of residents/attendings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted263296

Student to doctor: "Why did we do X for patient A?"

Doctor to student: pauses, "Why did we do X for patient A?"

Student: "I don't know." Thinks, that's why I just asked you...

Doctor: "Look it up."

Next patient... Student wonders why they did Y for patient B but decides he'll just look it up instead of asking.

Evaluation: "Student doesn't ask questions."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That sounds like the bulk of my surgery experience. What a waste. Every time that happened, I had this little voice in my head screaming "Or you could just ****ing tell me, you douche." Stupid, stupid, stupid. Heaven forbid I actually try to learn something directly from the source.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like the bulk of my surgery experience. What a waste. Every time that happened, I had this little voice in my head screaming "Or you could just ****ing tell me, you douche." Stupid, stupid, stupid. Heaven forbid I actually try to learn something directly from the source.

For me, this was medicine, and instead of just saying "look it up", I would get "go find a journal article that we can discuss on this topic."

Surgeons would laugh at me for not knowing the answer, but then just tell me afterwards. :thumbup:

I got the "find a journal article" response more than a few times.
Chose my questions more carefully after that.

That being said, when I did get forced into finding articles, I actually did learn a lot, so maybe it's not the worst method.

It seems like you get shot down most when the questions are broad stuff you could have just looked up.
The questions that seem to go over better are when they are clarifications of things that you have already researched.

No, it's the worst method. When you can look up the answer on uptodate or in a review book instead of burning an hour looking for and reading an article, that is time poorly spent no matter how you slice it.

I got the "find a journal article" response more than a few times.

That being said, when I did get forced into finding articles, I actually did learn a lot, so maybe it's not the worst method.

It seems like you get shot down most when the questions are broad stuff you could have just looked up.
The questions that seem to go over better are when they are clarifications of things that you have already researched.

good point! hope others take this advice! but also dont be afraid to ask small dumb questions. heck dont be afraid to ask the nurses and others working in the hospital. plenty of people love to help a student learn.

This.

I try not to turn it around on someone every time, but I'm not your Surgery Recall book. Just think for 5 seconds so that you ask a meaningful question, and you might get a meaningful answer. Instead of saying "What is that?" just say "That looks like the cystic artery, is it?" At least try. If you put a patient-specific spin to it, they can't tell you to look it up either.

Also, recognize that some people turn the question around on you because they don't know either. I didn't realize this at first, but then I had an IM attending who would do that. Except he then said "Because I don't know the answer either." I thought it was refreshing to realize that our attendings didn't know everything and could admit it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This.

I try not to turn it around on someone every time, but I'm not your Surgery Recall book. Just think for 5 seconds so that you ask a meaningful question, and you might get a meaningful answer. Instead of saying "What is that?" just say "That looks like the cystic artery, is it?" At least try. If you put a patient-specific spin to it, they can't tell you to look it up either.

I think some of the dumber questions are not so much attempts to get a specific response as to get you talking. Surgery and OB both involved a lot of mute shadowing for me, and I seriouslly question whether medical students really need to be exposed to services that seem to be proud that everyone is too busy to teach the medical students. 2 hours of quietly watching a resident do floor work while no one talks to me, followed by 8 hours of mutely watching cholecystectomies and RATLHs without doing anything, and eventually I will start asking questions just to remind people that I exist and hopefully start the flow of teaching. The result is a lot like trying to walk up to a woman at a party without a good reason to talk to her. "So, I, uh, noticed you're dissecting something there. Do you, uh, do that, you know, often?"

Medicine and Peds were much easier because rounds were basically non-stop quizzing, pimping, and discussion, so I would only ask a question if I really felt it couldn't be found on uptodate, which was pretty rare. The easiest way to keep me from asking you questions is to ask ME questions. Or to send me to study, but I hate just standing quietly against a wall all day.

Last edited:
The result is a lot like trying to walk up to a woman at a party without a good reason to talk to her. "So, I, uh, noticed you're dissecting something there. Do you, uh, do that, you know, often?"

Haha, I haven't been on OB long and I haven't seen that many procedures...but I feel like I already know what you mean. Nothing worse than just standing around like an idiot. I'm loving the analogy, though. I do the same thing, unfortunately...

This.

Also, recognize that some people turn the question around on you because they don't know either. I didn't realize this at first, but then I had an IM attending who would do that. Except he then said "Because I don't know the answer either." I thought it was refreshing to realize that our attendings didn't know everything and could admit it.

I agree with you and make it a point to ask specific questions that show at least a little understanding.

However, asking a student to look up a journal article on everything is just horribly inefficient. The same attending that would ask me to do it then told me in feeback that "learning medicine from journal articles is probably not the best way to do it." O RLY? I didn't realize that I was spending all my off time searching journal articles for you instead of studying for the shelf or actually trying to learn broad useful concepts.

It's interesting....I'm a little older than most others in my class and have taught people skillsets in another career -- and I've always thought that medical education was sorely lacking in communicating a set block of material efficiently. In second year, I was told that we would get treatment algorithms and plans in 3rd year -- no, we got haphazard training in what test to order next that was different depending on attending/residents/location....but it's our responsibility to learn this stuff not having any structure or basis to know what's important...

Ok, so then I get told that intern year is where you'll learn treatments....well, that really depends on what residency you're a part of....on a peds rotation where I'm at, the attending actually - I am not kidding - does bedside teaching of significance and explains her decisions in a non-pimping,non-condescending way. The recently promoted interns are universally strong, the graduating third years are strong and the place works well together.....

However, at my own program, the teaching consists of rapidly read PPT presentations or journal club articles or lectures of variable quality on topics of questionable clinical usefullness. On our inpatient service, there is no teaching, period and you're expected to look things up in your copious spare time (fat chance of that) and then you get railed on for not knowing things.....

So -- word to the wise -- take the time now to learn the fundamentals of treatment down to length and dosages, look up articles on the major topics of your trade for guidelines and at least know that going into residency. It's your education -- it sucks, I know and I hate that I've paid a significant sum of money for a questionable educational experience, but it's what we've got....I mean, I'm grateful for being a physician and I love what I do, but in my experience, the education has not been optimal.....

BTW - I've never agreed with the go look it up method....there is value to that if it's coupled with competent guidance and used to reinforce topics already taught....

Surgery and OB both involved a lot of mute shadowing for me, and I seriouslly question whether medical students really need to be exposed to services that seem to be proud that everyone is too busy to teach the medical students.
Or, you know, we are just busy. While you were mutely shadowing (as do some of our students), others were going off and seeing consults, giving us the time to teach them afterward, because we weren't writing the consult the entire time.

I agree with you and make it a point to ask specific questions that show at least a little understanding.

However, asking a student to look up a journal article on everything is just horribly inefficient.
The same attending that would ask me to do it then told me in feeback that "learning medicine from journal articles is probably not the best way to do it." O RLY? I didn't realize that I was spending all my off time searching journal articles for you instead of studying for the shelf or actually trying to learn broad useful concepts.
Agreed, and I've actually never done that.

Here's my example: I was teaching a student about everyone's favorite topic (anal fistulas) and asked her what keeps a fistula patent. She didn't have much to say, so I prompted her by asking if she knew the FRIEND acronym. She didn't, so I told her to look it up. I'm not being an ass; I just know that she'll remember it better if she looks at the causes more than if I just rattle them all off. I know what they are. After she looked it up in between cases (when she isn't doing anything, but I am), I didn't just have her recite them; I asked her which of those was causing this patient's fistula.

Or, you know, we are just busy. While you were mutely shadowing (as do some of our students), others were going off and seeing consults, giving us the time to teach them afterward, because we weren't writing the consult the entire time.

Agreed, and I've actually never done that.

Here's my example: I was teaching a student about everyone's favorite topic (anal fistulas) and asked her what keeps a fistula patent. She didn't have much to say, so I prompted her by asking if she knew the FRIEND acronym. She didn't, so I told her to look it up. I'm not being an ass; I just know that she'll remember it better if she looks at the causes more than if I just rattle them all off. I know what they are. After she looked it up in between cases (when she isn't doing anything, but I am), I didn't just have her recite them; I asked her which of those was causing this patient's fistula.

I think that's totally reasonable. It only takes 5 minutes to look that up.

I'm not saying they're lying, I'm aware they're busy and I'm aware medical students are a time suck that they can't afford. I've watched them run chart to chart to bed to OR and back to the charts for 12 straight hours. What I am saying that when there's no time for my pretend doctoring built into the schedule then I don't think I need to be on the rotation. Give me another month of medicine, or send me somewhere rural and pair me with an attending who is on a lighter schedule, or just admit that our Surgery rotation is an anachronism and get rid of it, but ultimately I don't see the point of watching someone's back while they write in a chart, or while I retract through their armpit.

As for the 'teach them afterwards' thing that 1) never happened and 2) isn't really what clinicals are about anyway. The idea isn't that the residents are just supposed to lecture an quiz me, if that was all third year was we could easily hand the job over to textbooks and Kaplan and skip medical school entirely. The idea is, instead, that I'm supposed to play doctor: do the procedure, write the note, make up the plan, write the unsigned order, and then learn not from a lecture but rather when people tear all that apart because of all the mistakes I made. I always felt like most OBs and Surgeons seem to have the impression that if, after 12 hours of watching them work, they teach me for an hour they're doing their jobs as teachers. The truth is that if I'm not working for at least most of the time that they are then I feel like the rotation is pretty low yield, regardless of how much or little time they lecture me for. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the time they take to lecture, and I don't think it's anyones fault in particular that this doesn't work on surgery, but the fact is that shadowing is a low yield way to learn.

Important distinction: when you ask me a question, and I don't know it, you can order me to look up the answer all you want. That's good teaching. When I ask you a question, telling me to look up the answer just discourages future questions. I don't think anyone would object to what you did there.

Last edited:
I'm not saying they're lying, I'm aware they're busy and I'm aware medical students are a time suck that they can't afford. I've watched them run chart to chart to bed to OR and back to the charts for 12 straight hours. What I am saying that when there's no time for my pretend doctoring built into the schedule then I don't think I need to be on the rotation. Give me another month of medicine, or send me somewhere rural and pair me with an attending who is on a lighter schedule, or just admit that our Surgery rotation is an anachronism and get rid of it, but ultimately I don't see the point of watching someone's back while they write in a chart, or while I retract through their armpit.

As for the 'teach them afterwards' thing that 1) never happened and 2) isn't really what clinicals are about anyway. The idea isn't that the residents are just supposed to lecture an quiz me, if that was all third year was we could easily hand the job over to textbooks and Kaplan and skip medical school entirely. The idea is, instead, that I'm supposed to play doctor: do the procedure, write the note, make up the plan, write the unsigned order, and then learn not from a lecture but rather when people tear all that apart because of all the mistakes I made. I always felt like most OBs and Surgeons seem to have the impression that if, after 12 hours of watching them work, they teach me for an hour they're doing their jobs as teachers. The truth is that if I'm not working for at least most of the time that they are then I feel like the rotation is pretty low yield, regardless of how much or little time they lecture me for. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the time they take to lecture, and I don't think it's anyones fault in particular that this doesn't work on surgery, but the fact is that shadowing is a low yield way to learn.

Did you really feel that your time was never wasted on medicine?

I felt like there was equivalent time wastage on all services, but medicine pissed me off the most because I would get all the work done on my patients and would be sitting around the team room for half the day waiting to say "let me check those labs for the 4th time" or "I'd love to take that order for Mrs. Johnson's K replacement over to the floor." Then we'd have mind numbing mandatory conferences too.

On surgery and ob, we were up and moving the whole time. Maybe I wasn't directly involved for all of it, but I at least felt like there were places to interject questions and offer to help. For me, it's harder to resent being there when I see the team working super hard.

I guess that's why I'm going into surgery. :shrug: Or maybe I had a better rotation.

Last edited:
Perspective is part of it, I guess. I would have much rather retracted than listened to another presentation about someone coming in for "chest pain, r/o MI" or an octagenarian with a complicated UTI.

Then either you or the residents at your program are an unimaginative bunch. I send the students off to do post-op checks and write admission/discharge/transfer orders, and then double check them. I don't carry the consult pager, so I couldn't really send them off to see those, but if I got a nurse call about someone with pain/low UOP/blah blah blah, then I'd send the student and tell them to come back when they had a plan. Usually saved me time, and they get to think. My favorite morning on medicine was when one of the interns sent me to go see a bunch of her patients and come back with a plan. I felt like I was playing a real doctor for a while.

No, it's the worst method. When you can look up the answer on uptodate or in a review book instead of burning an hour looking for and reading an article, that is time poorly spent no matter how you slice it.

Wait. So why don't you just look up the answer on UpToDate... and then use the references for the UpToDate article to find a good journal article to discuss. That way you can learn efficiently and finish the task quickly.

The quick way to read a journal article is to look at inclusion/exclusion criteria, look at the actual results, and then skim the discussion to see how the results fit into the greater body of knowledge and their interpretation. If you found the article through UpToDate, this will take less than an hour. If it's a major study, then you can look for responses to the article to broaden your understanding of how it fits into the general clinical experience.

Wait. So why don't you just look up the answer on UpToDate... and then use the references for the UpToDate article to find a good journal article to discuss. That way you can learn efficiently and finish the task quickly.

The quick way to read a journal article is to look at inclusion/exclusion criteria, look at the actual results, and then skim the discussion to see how the results fit into the greater body of knowledge and their interpretation. If you found the article through UpToDate, this will take less than an hour. If it's a major study, then you can look for responses to the article to broaden your understanding of how it fits into the general clinical experience.

Because some of the questions you want to ask aren't discussed in UpToDate. If only it were that easy.

I think we all know how to read an article.

Because some of the questions you want to ask aren't discussed in UpToDate. If only it were that easy.

The worst is when they tell repeatedly tell you to look up articles and be ready to present on them and then they rarely ask you to actually present them. But rare means they do actually ask so you always have to be ready.

I don't remember the gist of any of the articles I had to read for IM

Reading a whole article is hardly the best way to learn a concept. It's a waste of time. If the resident/attending doesn't know, then yes you benefit everyone by reading an article then discussing it. If they know the answer, answer the question and carry on. Not answering and making the student look up an article makes the student not want to ask anymore questions because obviously the resident/attending is not keen on answering them or doesn't know the answer and won't admit it. Either way, a huge pet peeve.

When I ask a specific, yes or no style of question that is not really based on rhyme or reason, it really gets under my skin when intern responds with "What do you think?" I think you don't know the real reason, that's what I think.
Agreed--nobody wants to admit they're just doing something cause that's what they do (which is a fine answer, imho).

This is encouraging. I am absolutely using the "look it up yourself" method if I'm a resident and a student asks me a question I don't know. That'll give me a day to prepare an answer

How will we treat our med students down the line?
It's hard to say. I want to be truthful in saying not the way I was treated, but I have had a lot of good days and some bad days. I got my ass handed to me a few days ago because I thought I knew what I was talking about until I had to talk about it. I don't know if it was the situation I was in, my nerves, or me forgetting all the information, but I was told to go read a chapter about the topic. I refreshed everything in my mind which is worth it, but haven't yet discussed my reading with the resident despite being asked if I did it. I don't think I'll ever discuss it.

So, I think its a delicate balance of handing over information, but also making students find it. In my case, I forgot the basics in the moment and deserved what I got. However, I try to cover my bases when asking and answering questions to try and prevent such a large reading assignment. I think the key is to be precise with the questions as stated above re: cystic artery and not just "What is that going into the gallbladder?"

As far as scut/necessary/seems-pointless-to-the-student work, I wish I got more. But in all fairness, the surgery residents are extremely busy, especially with the transition into the new intern year and sometimes it is just faster for them to do something instead of asking me to. I don't mind doing consults, chart checks, or other little errands, but I need direction. Telling me to go chart check the service is pointless if other people have started and I'm just going to look at what they've already seen. I am getting information about the patients, but to be honest as a student I only follow a certain amount of patients and haven't been in the OR with the majority of them. I'll never be asked about them so telling me to check beds 1-10 is a lot more useful than just "check the service."

My gripe about my surgery rotation isn't moreso the malignant attitudes or PIMPing, etc... it is the lack of teaching I get at times. When you sit next to the resident for what seems to be eternity without them speaking to you, it is awful. I try to force conversation: "Oh, did we order X bc of this? Is that a pleural effusion on their chest scan? Would you like me to do something?"

I don't want to treat students like this if I work at a center that accepts students. Its unfair to them. I find the younger doctors (residents and attendings) sometimes are the biggest offenders when it comes to silence versus the attendings that walk you through a procedure as they're doing it.

So, no I wouldn't treat students how I've been treated at times. The good days are really great, but the bad days are just plain awful. Just give some direction. Return a phone call as you're doing orders if I'm not with you. Give me feedback. I understand everyone has their off days, but I hate when its a day-to-day normal for the person. There are such differences between residents on the same service it is unbelievable.

So, no I wouldn't treat students how I've been treated at times. The good days are really great, but the bad days are just plain awful. Just give some direction. Return a phone call as you're doing orders if I'm not with you. Give me feedback. I understand everyone has their off days, but I hate when its a day-to-day normal for the person. There are such differences between residents on the same service it is unbelievable.
I do that, and I try to make it meaningful. I had plenty of rotations where I didn't get any feedback, and my evals were useless too.

Not sure that's a safe assumption to make.

This is just one example. Based on the RALES trial, a lot of patients with heart failure who don't meet inclusion criteria have been placed on Spironolactone... inappropriately.

Bozkurt B, et al. Complications of inappropriate use of spironolactone in heart failure: when an old medicine spirals out of new guidelines
. JACC 2003; 41:211-214.

Not sure that's a safe assumption to make.

This is just one example. Based on the RALES trial, a lot of patients with heart failure who don't meet inclusion criteria have been placed on Spironolactone... inappropriately.

Bozkurt B, et al. Complications of inappropriate use of spironolactone in heart failure: when an old medicine spirals out of new guidelines
. JACC 2003; 41:211-214.
Perhaps appropriately?

Zannad F, McMurray JJV, Krum H, et al. Eplerenone in patients with systolic heart failure and mild symptoms. N Engl J Med 2011. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1009492

"Eplerenone, as compared with placebo, reduced both the risk of death and the risk
of hospitalization among patients with systolic heart failure and mild symptoms"

Well I mean you could offer some kind of response other than that you don't know. Did you really have absolutely no idea, not even an inkling?

Learning is not just about being lectured to. You have to put forth some effort as well.

Or, you can just read Step Up to Medicine or other book instead of an article. It's the same thing basically.

It sounds like none of you guys have learned the art of asking questions you already know the answer to *shakes head*

I've tried this and it's a slam dunk when you're right, but if you're wrong....just embarrassing :scared:

"So you should be able to visualize the pericardium any minute now right..." "No because we're on the wrong side of the chest" BALLS! :mad:

It sounds like none of you guys have learned the art of asking questions you already know the answer to *shakes head*

You just have to know how to do it correctly without coming off like a huge tool. One of the biggest tools in my class is notorious for things along the lines of:

"So Doctor ______, what kind of treatments are used for Condition X?"

"Well med student, there are a few things that have been shown to have some benefit if-"

"BECAUSE I READ YESTERDAY THAT X, Y, AND Z ARE ALL POSSIBLE TREATMENTS" [proceeds to quote other stuff from relevant article which they are trying so hard to make obvious that they read last night].

Shockingly, I'm actually in med school to learn things, not to suck up to and/or impress my bosses. Consequently, there's not really any reason for me to ***** myself out like that.

Perhaps appropriately?

Zannad F, McMurray JJV, Krum H, et al. Eplerenone in patients with systolic heart failure and mild symptoms. N Engl J Med 2011. DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1009492

"Eplerenone, as compared with placebo, reduced both the risk of death and the risk
of hospitalization among patients with systolic heart failure and mild symptoms"

Strong. I haven't seen that study. I'll have to read it. :thumbup:

However... I have to add that it's not appropriate until the trial comes out to validate it, which in this case was 2011. It's nice when you're vindicated for being a cowboy, but I don't know if the physicians were thinking that at the time when 25% of the patients enrolled in the study of spironolactone therapy I quoted experienced hyperkalemia,12% experienced K+ >6.0, and 25% experienced renal insufficiency.

Further, a lot of the exclusion criteria were the same/similar: K< 5.0 and GFR >30 (which is similar to the Creatinine cut off used in RALES, which was 2.5).

Either that, or we're in school to learn and we ask relevant questions without the intent to stroke our own egos.

Either that, or we're in school to learn and we ask relevant questions without the intent to stroke our own egos.
That may be, but you get points on your evaluations for having a "good knowledge base," and if no one knows what you know, then you lose those points. Plan accordingly.

That may be, but you get points on your evaluations for having a "good knowledge base," and if no one knows what you know, then you lose those points. Plan accordingly.

Exactly. This isn't 1st and 2nd year when people are stroking their egos in front of the class. Evaluation of your knowledge base is through (1) shelf examinations, (2) assessment/plans during rounds, (3) answering questions correctly / logically when asked. I personally think it's a bad idea to ask questions to which you have no basic clue to what the answers might be. To each their own.

Exactly. This isn't 1st and 2nd year when people are stroking their egos in front of the class. Evaluation of your knowledge base is through (1) shelf examinations, (2) assessment/plans during rounds, (3) answering questions correctly / logically when asked. I personally think it's a bad idea to ask questions to which you have no basic clue to what the answers might be. To each their own.

Dear god. Attendings and residents are people just like you and I who remember what its like to be in our shoes (although I wonder about a few of the small d@#$k surgeons). There is nothing wrong with asking tactfully about something if you don't know. You're paying for this stuff....

Last edited:
Again, I'm here to learn, not to get points. It's beyond obnoxious when you go out of your way to be "that guy" by asking questions you have the answers to. It's also a waste of everyone's time.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating asking questions just to make yourself look good. That would be wasting people's time and people see right through that. But I think you should know the basics about something before you ask an expert. This not only increases your learning but some may argue even more importantly makes you look better.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating asking questions just to make yourself look good. That would be wasting people's time and people see right through that. But I think you should know the basics about something before you ask an expert. This not only increases your learning but some may argue even more importantly makes you look better.

I see what you're saying.

The way I phrase most questions is: "So I understand x, y, z, but how do a and b affect it?"

Dear god. Attendings and residents are people just like you and I who remember what its like to be in our shoes (although I wonder about a few of the small d@#$k surgeons). There is nothing wrong with asking tactfully about something if you don't know. You're paying for this stuff....

I don't know about that. A lot of the older attendings come from a time when medical school was very different (and a lot easier given that they didn't learn as much as we did b/c of scientific advancement) and it was the norm to suck up to everyone and it was encouraged. They absolutely LOVE being sucked up to and will often judge students based purely on that.

This is not to say those people are in the majority of course but they do exist. Usually everyone knows who those attendings are at the schools though. That's why our school intentionally installs a clerkship director who is younger and more up-to-date with the material (class of 2000 as opposed to class of 1980).